Empires Tutorial Videos - Community Effort

Discussion in 'General' started by BitterJesus, May 22, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Roflcopter rego, I'm thinking we should keep the camera stuff until the end, because we've not yet organized this enough.

Anyway, 1 day for people to submit their shit.

2. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I know, that was just some trialing to see if that was the sort of thing people were looking for.

3. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

this is going to be updated when the GUI changes?

also, you can put some pressure on the devs to move to the good translucent GUI if you use that.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I gotta love how people ignore the faults of NESQUIKO's VGUI and act like idiots insisting it be implemented officially immediately.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I think the alpha'd windows are wonderful and the black and white scheme better than blue

6. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^just keep it here for simplicity. projects like this quickly end when sudden changes occur.

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

And there you ignore the flaws. The ammo meter. The design issue where adding transparency makes some elements look shit (like the scrollbars).

It looks bad for the dev team to make something with very obvious flaws official and mandatory. Leave it as a DL, then those that don't mind the glitches can use it.

9. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Very obvious flaws? Like the fact that the blue GUI looks shit AND isn't functional?? I have no idea what you're talking about ammo either, it's just a different way of displaying it. Oh, sex-VGUI isn't perfect, but it's better. Seriously, I don't know how I commed with only being able to see half the screen before.

10. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Please move discussion of the GUI to another thread.

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The problem is as an OFFICIAL VGUI it looks very unprofessional due to those issues.

12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

That doesn't matter. This video is tutorial in nature and thus should use the GUI a noob will encounter.

We complain about the GUI all the time and yet the devs don't fix it. Unfortunately, I believe that's their fault and thus their loss if the tutorial videos get downgraded due to the official GUI looking like trash.

In the event the devs actually fix up the GUI we can re-shoot using the new GUI.

EDIT: unless BitterJesus makes a call otherwise, let's default to the official GUI. That being said, this is a community project and so it would be within our rights to change the GUI as long as we note that this is a modded GUI. However, until BitterJesus makes a call, this discussion should be closed.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

They haven't fixed it because the current layout is shit. GUI's aren't easy to make. Instead of wasting time with a temp GUI while they make the new one, their going straight for the new one to my knowledge, that awesome concept shot in the dev blogs.

14. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Guys, shut up about the GUI please, nobody cares. We're obviously going to use the vanilla one.

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Yes sir.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

And so it was done.

17. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

I have no clue why we would use a different one to begin with. You would generally deduce that we would want to record in the same environment that the new players will see, not something that looks different. If anything, it would distract from the tutorial itself.

Bitter, I'll have my part by the end of tonight. FYI, I'm on GMT -10 right now.

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

HUD Rundown (Health Points, Stamina, Targets, Camera Scans, Heat Bar, Commander, Res etc.) [I decided to separate this and minimap IDs cause it's too specific)

The HUD in empires contains several elements needed by every individual.

To start at the top left of the screen from left to right is the commander bar. This bar tells you who
    your commander is.

The next bar on the top right of screen contains 3 seperate elements. The first indicates tickets for both teams, blue being Brenodi and Red for the Northern Faction
    The next section indicates the amount of vehicles owned by your team. Finally, the last element of this bar shows the amount of resources owned, in white, and resources gained, in green.

On the left hand side of the screen right below the commander bar is the squad menu. The squad menu consists of two to six horizontal bars stacked vertically. The top bar indicates
    the current squad you are in, and gives accumulated amount of squad points. The lower bars indicate squad members. Starting from the left, is the class identifier represented by E, R, G, and S, IE S is for Scout
    and E is for Engineer.

On the right hand side of the screen reight below the top right bar is the minimap. The minimap displays where units, targets, flags, resource points, and other items or locations are.

In the lower left hand corner of the screen is the Health and stamina bar. The top Solid bar indicates your current amount a health, and the lower segmented bar indicates your current amount of stamina.

In the lower right hand corner of the map indicates the ammount of ammunution you have available. The white bullets determine how many rounds are left in your weapon or tool, and the White magazine indicates the amount of ammunition
    you have left in order to reload. Example, You have 5 white bullets, and the number 10 next to the white magazine. This indicates that you have 5 rounds within your weapon, and 10 rounds that can be put into it, giving you a total of 15 rounds.

Some features in the hud are not locked place, such as move orders, target orders, and radar or camera sweeps.

If you see a red Hexagon, on your screen, that indicates a target given to you by your commander or squad leader. Targets can either be locations, buildings, or a groups of targets.

Green Hexagons are move orders and defend orders.

Finally, Camera and/or radar sweeps act like red targets excepy that are orange, and flash every few seconds depening on the amount of cameras and radars. Radars detect vehicles and cameras detect infantry.

About forgot it lol.

19. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

Here's my portion. Please review, comment, and make suggestions. I was rather thorough and made very few assumptions of what the audience knows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1a- How to get to the battlefield (Team, Selection, Class Selection, Spawn Point Selection)

<Fade in, Empires logo in the background>
    Welcome to the Empires training videos.

This video tutorial will go into the details of Empires and exploring all the options that will or may be available to you. When you reach the end of this video, you will have learned the process and all the elements involved in joining the battlefield in Empires.
    <Fade out>

<Fade in to the main menu>
    When you launch the game, you’ll arrive at main menu screen after loading for a short time. Note that your options are to find a server to connect to, create your own server, edit your options and controls, and to exit the game.

When you select the “Find Server” option, the master server list will appear (show the server list). You are encouraged to join a server that is aimed towards new players, if you can find one available with players in it (look for a server like this and highlight it, such as “Empires Learning Centre”). Servers such as these will typically house more players who are still learning the game and contain fewer veterans. Find a server with players on it and join (highlight and use the connect button to connect).
    <Fade out from the loading screen>

<Fade into the motd screen>
    When you first arrive in the game, the message of the day, or MOTD, will appear. Please acknowledge and respect the server rules listed out in the MOTD (scroll down as though you were actually reading them). Click the “OK” button to proceed (click ok). Next, the team selection menu will appear. Note that the teams in Empires are separated into two major factions: The Brenodi Empire, also known as BE; and the Northern Faction, also known as NF. At this menu you may choose to join either faction, to spectate, or to let the game automatically assign you to a team. Keep in mind that on almost all servers you will not be able to join a team that has more players than the other. Choose “Auto Assign” to join a team (chose auto assign).

After joining a team, the Class/Weapon Selection menu will appear. In Empires there are four infantry classes to choose from (open the class dropdown box): The Engineer, the Grenadier, the Rifleman, and the Scout. On this menu you also select your weapons, grenades, and a skill to start out with. Weapon, grenade, and skill selection are unique to each class while pistols are unique to which faction you’re on. As a beginner, you are encouraged to select the Engineer class (select the engineer class before continuing talking) with the repair upgrade skill under class specific skills for starting out, as it provides the most support to your team (select this skill). Hit the “Accept” button to proceed (hit accept).

The next menu that shows up is the Spawn Selection menu. You will see the spawn points that are available on the map in the form of a blue circle if you joined BE or a red circle if you joined NF. Spawn locations will either be a barracks, a captured flag point, or an APC. Since APCs are mobile spawn points, they are very valuable to a team and driving off with them as you please will upset your team. Click on one of the circles to select a spawn point (choose a spawn). Another circle will appear around it to indicate that you have selected that spawn point. Once you have selected a spawn point, either click the “Close” button or hit the enter key to close the menu (close the window). Then click the left mouse button to spawn (now spawn).

Now you are on the battlefield. Keep in mind that your spawn point could be destroyed or captured at any time. In the event that this happens, simply press the enter key and choose a new spawn point (reopen the spawn window), and hopefully one will be available for you.

Thank you for watching and we’ll to see you on the battlefield!
    <Fade out from the game>

20. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Thanks HSM and Straev. For now, we'll just write the text scripts, no directions. Also, we don't need the top part about the intro YET, we might have to either make a video specifically for Intro or something else.