Empires Tutorial Videos - Community Effort

Discussion in 'General' started by BitterJesus, May 22, 2009.

1. spellman23

spellman23 Member

hm... where be our valiant leader?

2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

3. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yeah, I've thought about a few parts of the tutorial, and I'm just thinking, won't the future releases change? I mean, won't something change and the tutorial videos will be wrong?

We have to somehow make the videos adaptable to all future releases.

EDIT: Anyhow, tonight I'm going to Nia Falls, so I'll be back either in about 10 hours or tomorrow. After that we'll resume the tutorials.

Peace

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Niagra Falls? Oh god your Canadian?

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes, because only Canadians can visit Niagara Falls, since it is nowhere near the border with another country and anyone entering Canada will be shot on sight.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Shit, he's on to us nebajoth, run!

7. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Or just 1) note the version of release and 2) make sure to do this modularly so we can update portions as updates come out.

At the end of the day, you can't make the perfect tutorial to encompass all future releases. You just have to keep up-to-date.

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

spellman is right. If you organize it properly you can make it easy to update. use something powerful like Sony Vegas or adobe premier and hold on to all the files. It would be VERY easy to replace segments.

From experience, I would recommend Vegas over Premier. Premier is prettier software that IMO does less. Vegas is a little clunkier but IMO does the job much better once you learn it.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I already knew they would change while writing them...that's why I loaded up the SVN version and took everything from there. Hell, by the time you do them a new version will probably be out!

That's why I be thinkin'...just do the tutorials as they're scripted, so we don't have a massive over head waiting for them to get done. They ain't never gonna be perfect, so don't try to make 'em.

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I reacon we have enough scripts to start doing voice and filming now. Ofc keep the scripters going full pelt, but otherwise people may start to lose interest.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

This is gonna be a slight problem.

If I want to keep the raw files then they'll be over 1gig each, even under 1 minute, and storage is a problem for me so I'll either need an external hd or someone else take charge of video management.

12. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Anyhow, here are the roles, this is to be done by sunday.

4, a, b - BitterJesus
    5, a, b - Ikalx
    5, c, d - spellman23

Sorry for such a long delay, I really had no motivation for some time and I was a bit too busy to focus on this.

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

As always, critique to your heart's content. I won't be near a computer until Sunday evening, so don't feel bad if I don't fix this up for a while. =]
    EDIT1: Rolfcopters Rego's edits.

5. Commanding
    c- Targets, move orders, guard orders.
    d- Customization of Vehicles through commander, restriction of vehicles
    ???e- Research, a brief rundown of trees and what they do???

Giving orders to your troops works much like other RTS games. You can hold down the left mouse button and drag a selection box around your team members. You can then give these players a move order by right-clicking somewhere. If you right-click on a friendly unit or building, it will create a guard order.

You can also give attack orders by holding down A and dragging to create an attack box. Any enemy unit within this box will be tagged as a target. Buildings must be right-clicked manually to target.

The Commander is also responsible for controlling vehicle production. A commander can custom build vehicles for their team by opening the Factory Tab. In the pop-up you can customize loadouts and build those loadouts at a factory. You can also restrict vehicle building at a factory, preventing other players from building a vehicle (hoping video shows this). This is useful to prevent a griefer from constantly wasting res by building vehicles or if you want the team to save up res for a massive tank rush.

<maybe later research in here?>

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  14. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Get the feeling you don't do a great deal of commanding :)

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I don't command a whole bunch recently. Plus I rarely used these features, except for the attack order. Even worse, my internet is laggy as heck recently so I couldn't join a server and mess around to check all this. Running a private doesn't help too much except for the process of how to make a vehicle, which currently is horribly implemented.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

a Joining, identification of squad members and leaders
    b Squad area buff and using squad points

Upon joining the game, players are given an option to join a squad which can result in potential benefits. Your squad members will be identified by triangles above them which are green when not in combat, yellow when attacking, and red when hurt or dead. Your squad leader will be identified with a star above their head.

For 3 squad points the squad earns, each player gets a rank point. If your squad leader is in close proximity of your location, you will attain the following benefits: if squad leader is a scout, your stamina bar will regenerate 33% faster, if rifleman, you gain a 20% accuracy boost, engineers get a 1 health point per 2 seconds regeneration rate, and grenadiers get a 10% damage increase.

Doing various helpful tasks for your team will help gather squad points. Reviving, healing, repairing, defusing, sabotaging can give your squad points which can be used by the squad leader for various power-ups. Keep it mind that using a Squad Power-up will decrease the number of squad points that your squad has. If your squad leader is an engineer, he will be able to activate Mass Heal, which fully heals all squad members, and Mass Revive, which revives all dead squad members to squad leader's location. Scouts can use Squad Hide which allows squad members to be partially invisible and not be detected by enemy turrets or cameras for 30 seconds. Attacking while hidden will make you fully visible to enemy commander and turrets. Scout squad leaders can also activate recon, which displays all enemies around the squad leader for a short amount of time and visible to all teammates. As a rifleman, you will be able to activate charge which will allow your squad members to sprint without depleting the stamina bar for a short amount of time. Rifleman's armor squad power-up will decrease the damage taken by all squad members by 20% for a short while. Grenadier's artillery strike damages all structures and enemies within a small radius of the impact. Grenadier's damage upgrade increases the damage dealt by teammates by 20% for a short while. In order to use any squad power-ups, you have to be a leader of a squad and have sufficient points for the power-up.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  17. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I've updated the first post and made a new script.

I already see where I made some mistakes, we will do some edits one the scripting is fully finished, but so far we just need to submit everything. Spellman, if you can do the research tree, then go ahead, I just wanted to do something special with it and going over some combinations (bio + nukes, price vs time vs usability etc.) but it looks like it'll take up too much time.

18. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Om Nom Nom

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ok, i'll try and get mine done today, but...no promises.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Great but where are the videos?