Empires Tutorial Videos - Community Effort

Discussion in 'General' started by BitterJesus, May 22, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Sorry hamster, personal relations have no part in this.

2. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

I asked FN if his girlfriend could do it, since she is cool with games and shit.

He said her voice is too manly though.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Is there like a test script you want voice actors to read or something? I love listening to myself talk.

4. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ok I can't do falsetto, I can do bowel movement inducing bass though.

Unfortunately as I only have a tiny clip on mic the acoustics aren't very good and I can't move the computer into the bathroom.

I'd quite like if you could get either of these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPjwbD5G54
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=let3J9KGu8U

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  6. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

LISTEN UP LISTEN UP.

Tomorrow, I will assign all scripters their parts. We'll complete each section by each.

7. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

koolbeanz. Is there some group or something or are we just gonna spam this thread?

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I don't want to make you guys on some shitty forum, so we'll just do it here.

Anyway, here's what the writers are gonna do

BitterJesus - 1c Identification of buildings
    HSM - 1e HUD Rundown
    Straevaras - 1a How to get to the battlefield
    Ikalx - 1b How to select skills and unlock skill slots (including locations where it's possible to do so)
    spellman23 - 1d Equipment Customization

I WANT THIS DONE BEFORE MONDAY (soft time period)

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Have HSM be the voice, but he has to scream the whole time

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm done. I'll submit it here so I can get some feedback. Some bits are a little clunky, so if you've got better phrasing, please tell me :)

Tutorial 1b Accessing skills:

Open the class selection menu (B by default) and make sure you have the class you want selected as well as the right weapons. Then, click the box to the bottom left of the menu with the open padlock on it. It should say "choose skill" underneath.

Once you've clicked that, the skill selection menu should pop up. There are seven general skills to choose from - like health upgrade, ammo increase, accuracy upgrade and so on. These General skills are open to every class. The most important thing to focus on here, is the dropbox in the top left corner of the menu. The dropbox allows you to switch between General and Class Specific skills, which can improve your effectiveness in class-based roles.

You get the first skill free when you spawn to increase your effectiveness on the battlefield. Subsequent skills can be unlocked via ranking-up which is done by earning rank points. Your current number of rank points is highlighted by the "score" attribute on the scoreboard and shown on the class menu under "Ranking" on the top right. Rank points are earned by killing enemy units, repairing buildings as an engineer, defusing mines, saboutaging and many other tasks during the game. If you're playing a supportive role, there's no need to worry about not earning rank points very quickly, as many non-combat tasks give you points.

You can unlock new skills at twenty, thirty and fourty rank points. There will be open padlock symbols next to your first skill at the bottom of the class selection menu when you have ranked-up sufficiently. You can choose and change your skills anywhere, but you need to be somewhere where you can change your class for the changes to your loadout to take effect. Changing your class and applying your skills can be done at a barracks, armoury, or any flag or capture point that has been captured. It is important to remember that you can choose your skills while respawning, but that you don't have to respawn to do so.

--End--

Edit#1 Replaced "Open up the class selection menu" with "Press B to open the class selection menu".
    Edit#2 Replaced "Press B to open the class selection menu" with "Open the class selection menu (B by default)".
    Edit#3 Modified to include Quackums and BJ's changes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  12. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Its pretty good,ikalx but you should tell them how to open the class selection menu first. "Press B to open the class selection menu"

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's a good point...I figured it was going to be covered in 1a, but I still meant to add it. Thanks a lot :)

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Q: is 1d covering infantry, vehicles, or both? I'm gonna go w/ inf. until told otherwise.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would not talk about the standard buttons imo, everyone changes those anyway

a video going trough all the controls and what they do in game could be nice since we have so many now (the 4 tabs)

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Better change that to Press B (by default)

17. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I'll go and do some videoing. I'm doing it at half size (the size of a youtube embed) because it makes it 4x smaller, otherwise my puny HDD will esplode.

18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yes, it's infantry

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

1c Identification and role of buidings

1c Identification and role of buidings

There are numerous types of buildings that you will see and use during the game.

The very first structure that you will use in the game will be the barracks. These serve as spawn points on the map, as well as class and equipment customization location.

A vehicle factory allows you to customize and build vehicles with different properties, which are to be used in battle. There are several types of vehicles all of which have different customization and weapon loadout options.

An armory is a place where you can replenish your health and ammo, as well as change your class loadout. If you are a vehicle driver and are located in close proximity of the armory your weapon ammo will automatically replenish.

A refinery is a structure which creates income for the team. Unlike all other buildings, refineries can only be placed on specific locations which are different on every map.

A radar allows the commander to research different armors, weapons and other things, which will aid the team in the battle. Its other function is to display all enemiy vehicles on the minimap within its radius.

A repair station allows a vehicle driver to repair the vehicle as well as replenish ammo for the vehicle. Its other function is to change and customize weapon, armor and engine loadout without needing to produce a new vehicle. Keep in mind, that when you alter anything in the loadout, your armor plates on each side will be reset to 0hit points and will have to be repaired.

There are 2 types of stationary turrets that can be built both by the commander and engineers in the field . One of them is a Machine Gun Turret, commonly abbreviated as an MG Turret, another is an Missile Launcher turret, abbreviated as an ML Turret. An MG turret is only anti-infantry. It will automatically target and shoot any enemy infantry within its range and line of sight. An ML turret is used against buildings and vehicles. It will automatically target and shoot any enemy structures and vehicles. Both of these can be upgraded to 2nd and 3rd level turrets which will increase the the radius and rate of fire of the turrets. moved "This structure can be built by both Engineer and Commander" for clarity.

Walls are Engineer and Commander built structures which can be used as cover from enemy fire, blockades to prevent enemy movement, concealment for friendly troops and other purposes. They are highly resistant to enemy fire but are weak against the Engineer construction tool.

A surveillance camera and a surveillance radar are structures that can only be built by the Engineer. The engineer radar displays enemy vehicles and buildings on the minimap for your whole team while the camera displays enemy infantry.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  20. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

you should make it clearer that you can change class in the barracks.
    and at the radar part

Last edited: May 30, 2009