Empires Summer Scrim League Game 5 - 18th July 21:00 BST/ 16:00 EDT/ 13:00 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

They're still uploading but the links in this post will go live once they're done.

[YOUTUBE]R4Wq7CCyaQY[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]xkzcwkgCsO4[/YOUTUBE]

Those new players are actually the main people I want to be getting involved. Like, it's open to anyone, and those are the people I'd love to see playing in these games more than any old vet or whatever.

Honestly, I plan on hosting next week definitely, and more than likely the week after also. After that, there's 100% a week off during The International, and after that there might be 1 or 2 more games depending on when I go back to work. Once I get the date for when I'm going back to work then I'll know exactly, but once I actually go, the event will be over, at least as far as me running it.

I think perhaps it might be an idea to put a better title up on the server for directing people to sign up here or something.

Of course there's an insult in there, have you looked at the fucking post? It's very easy to put constructive criticism across without being an asshole about it, but some people just don't seem capable of it. So sure, it winds me up.

As for the organisation, this is the first week where I feel there's actually been any issue regarding this, so I have no fucking idea what he's referring to as far as organisational problems go for the previous 4 weeks. The games were run relatively on-time without any hiccups disregarding the first game crash which wasn't really anything to do with the organisation, the server, the map or even Empires itself, it was just a Source engine issue. I'm surprised it actually hasn't happened since. The issue tonight was simply that we lacked people with easy access to VIPER so it was difficult to swap things over. Realistically speaking if it was the map then the server change did very little but it's hard to draw any conclusion.

And lastly, I kind of resent this whole attitude of "this is my time you're wasting" etc. It's a very conceited standpoint because at the end of the day, you're choosing to be there and you're still getting the enjoyment out of playing when things are running. No-one is forcing you to be there, you aren't paying for it, nor are you helping to organise ("you" not actually being targetted at anyone in particular). If your time is so valuable and important then why aren't you spending it elsewhere in the first place? Because you want to spend that time playing a game you very much enjoy, so I wish people would stop acting like it's some kind of chore to be "forced" to play because it's such a silly notion. No-one wants to sit around having their time wasted doing nothing, I do appreciate that, but hiccups are inevitable and the vast majority of people just deal with it and accept it rather than acting like they're a special flower all the time.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Round 1:
    [youtube]FrP4udmMu70[/youtube]

Round 2:
    [youtube]6arlu0csG4k[/youtube]

This is still uploading but will be completing upload in 70ish minutes from this post. Round 1 is still rendering on my computer.

3. 101010

101010 Member

I think a lot of the problem is a lack of scrims..
    In the past there was clans so scrims happened more often.
    It seems like this year the teams / squads are just not organized.
    I'm sure it's also the 1st time some of the people have been in a scrim.
    This year the scrim feels more like a pub with longer commander votes.

Thank you Trickster for the time you put into organizing this. It's been nice to see a full server.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I was talking about in general, not about what posthumous said.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Did anyone notice the first rounds of the scrims, latency wasn't an issue but until the further scrims lag became more of a bigger problem?

Is the game having any issues or is it the servers?
    Cause when we switched to viper, the lag was there but I didn't get frame drops. Just delays.

Where on epics I had like 7 fps, and turrets killed 3 of my tanks.
    Like some of you say it was the map and it could very well be so, but this lag we are fighting with seems to keep picking up when we scrim and dissipates when we pug.

I think there is something more devious at play here, and it could just be tin foiling but I don't see lag when we get a 40+ pug.
    Only when we scrim.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I suspect the problem was the concentration of players during game 1. We never put every single person in the same small area during game 2.

@Trickster: There are many organizational issues. Week after week the server gets set up late. Week after week one side desperately searches for stand-ins thanks to fluctuating player requirements. This makes the scrims start much much later than the 2100 BST that is announced earlier.

7. Trickster

Server is usually up for 9pm give or take a couple of minutes. The first 2 games it was up early because people were playing on VIPER, but people have taken to playing on EPIC before the game which means I generally end up waiting for them to finish their round. It might be an idea for me to lock the server way in advance this time because people being on the server before the start time is a problem. In that respect I guess it's a fair point you're making.

As for player count, that's really up to the team leaders. I try my best to help by grabbing stand-ins rather than forcing people to sit out but that's not really my responsibility, it's on the team leaders.

As I said during either Isle or Midbridge (I forget), the 21:00 is when I want people to be getting in the server. There's a 15 min vote time and I usually expect like 10 mins or so of people filling up. We're really aiming to be playing before 21:30, though sometimes we've been later, sometimes earlier. The problem is that if I put the start time as 21:30, then people won't turn up until later than that and it'll end up being 22:00.

As DDD mentioned, it's very much an issue of where players are concentrated. Things like that don't tend to happen in less-organised pugs and certainly not in pubs. If you watch the replays once I've uploaded them (as stated in the other thread my internet died in the night so I had to restart this morning), you'll see very static battle lines. Tanks aren't rushing through and getting killed and as a result the actual vehicle number on each team gets very high. In the first game, as it happened BE found themselves stuck purely in their main being attacked from 3 sides. 3 separate fronts for NF but just 1 for BE, which is why BE got far worse lag than NF. The amount of missiles and other projectiles heading towards one spot on the map caused huge lag for the players closest to it, while in Spec we had absolutely no lag. Meanwhile in round 2, that never really occurred. Even at the end of the game BE were still spread out enough over an area that they always maintained at least 2 fronts rather than being stuck in a corner. On top of that, the moment it seemed like a final siege was going to take place, Xray made the make-or-break play of Heavy rushing knowing that they couldn't withstand a siege, so again, we never got to the point we did in the previous round.

8. Confucious

Confucious Member

Thats retarded that a 2nd map was played, first of all. Conclusively, security u lost on midbridge, whomever the higher up for xray that decided a second match to be played after an hour delay is we todd ed.

9. Trickster

Well the 2nd round went much better, and Quebec played at a player disadvantage. While Xray still maintained 24 players (actually had more than that with even Spike siting out), Quebec started at 23, dropped to 22 pretty quickly and by the end of the round were at 21, playing 3 players down, yet still winning.

Like, if Quebec wanted to cry about the 2nd round saying they lost players (if they had lost the round) then they'd have at least "some" basis for it, but no-one on Xray can cry because they had a full team and came off the back of a win. Quebec leadership actually wanted to change maps entirely and call it a Bo3 but Xray decided that we'd definitely play on Forest again. Swapping to VIPER was the compromise.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

I totally agree on the playercount thing as a lot of people simply show up the day of without announcing that beforehand. At least for Quebec.

However, I'm fairly certain that we never started before half-past. The delay is quite long regardless, and I'm not sure how to best address it.

11. Reznov

Reznov Member

The 2nd game was definitely a loss for us because of that heavy tank research, the dual salvo combination + DU for ranged combat is just unbeatable in any open/ranged map.

We researched guided and advanced coolant before we went for our heavies, and even then our heavies were still underpowered compared to that simple NF combo.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

What? Did we play the same game?

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah idk about that, I would hit maybe 2-4 shots from each dual salvo. I would only start being useful after umls.

14. Reznov

Reznov Member

Pretty sure you guys had dual salvo at the time we had heavy tanks. I didn't know the first heavy tanks were UML based, explains why we lost SE so fast.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

UML came in after homing, way way after it and after heavies.

16. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I'd like to say that I don't blame our loss in the first game on lag. X-ray outplayed us and they deserved the win 100%.
    What the lag did is prevent us from having a chance to make a come back into the game like we did in game two.

17. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I would like to say that I really did not enjoy playing that first round. I didnt play the second round because it all just took too long for me. There are various reasons I did not enjoy the game.

1. The lagg
    2. It seems to me that the skill level is quite low, and teamwork is low aswel for a scrim style game. It seems more like a pub game than anything else.
    3. Organisation wise it wasnt too great either. Not enough players, too many players, extending time etc etc

Please dont take this badly its just how I experienced it and isnt directed to anyone or be taken as an insult.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah our strat for game 1 was really sloppy, but we adjusted for game 2 really well. It's like Empires history mini. People leave duringtough time, whoever stays is in for a treat.

19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

My thoughts on the whole lag thing is that it might be somehow associated with the BE base. During game 2 every time I derped into BE main with a vehicle I started getting lag almost comparable to game 1 - but we don't really have any solid evidence of anything.

Also, bugger all the other reasoning the only reason we won the second game and not the first is that we held the middle flag the whole game. He who holds middle holds victory.

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think the northwest refinery gives the same amount of res as the flag at that player count, but I could be wrong.