Empires on UE4 (A collaborative project)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It'll crash even when empiresplayerstart is the only spawn actor.

Edit: It started working again, I really don't get it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I had a question, are you going to create a map editor when the game is released?

For people who don't or can't spend the money for UE4?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I don't know yet. Right now, I have no choice but to force you guys to pay for a license. If I release a game, I might be able to discuss something with Epic to release a copy of the Editor with some features removed, but honestly I have no fucking clue if that will ever happen.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

with this amount of manpower every workhour is probably better invested in the game for quite a while.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Using SVN in the editor

First, click this button

[​IMG]

Second: Select "Subversion"

[​IMG]

URL is http://kylegar.net/svn/empires2editor/

Username is whatever username you gave me.

Tags is "tags"

Password is whatever password you gave me.

When you are editing an asset, Right click on it, Check-out that asset.

IMPORTANT SUPER IMPORTANT When you save the asset, Make damn fucking sure you right click on it and check it back in. If you are editing multiple assets, go to File->Submit to Source Control to group check in assets.

If you forget, none of us can edit the file until you check it in. This is why it's important.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Question of the day, if I grab some stuff from the market place, can I share that with you guys? Like upload that to the svn. It would be for the same project which I think it alright, but it's not like we are an actual company or something, which is what I think is allowed. I'm not sure honestly.

Need moar stuff to fiddle with.

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I wont stop you.

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Shouldn't you be able to find that in the terms of use of either Unreal or the stuff you are buying? If not, ask the creator.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I just had a problem with the built in Subversion, but my solution might save you some headache. It seems that the internal SVN isn't that good in syncing up folders. So you might have to submit folders manually with Tortoise SVN. I also encountered that problem with moving/deleting files. Just keep that in mind.

11. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Yeah. I can't sync the binaries from inside the editor either.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I figured out how to do console vars!

This was like 3 weeks of casual searching on how to do this. There is literally 0 documentation on this shit and it's hidden away in the Hardware abstraction layer.

13. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I'm adding Muzzleflashes. Right now it's using an explosion particle effect (which is fucking hilarious) but I discovered that remote clients don't play fire effects, so I gotta figure that out.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

So, I redid the way weapons attach to the character, that way we don't need to create custom hands for every model.

[​IMG]

Lookin pretty sexy, if I do say so myself.

Ingame, however, since the pistol isn't a skeletal mesh (and the FP model doesn't have the gun removed), it's kinda broken. You walk around with a gun on top of your head that explodes every time you shoot. It's pretty funny. I'll fix it tomorrow when firewarrior gets on and can poke at his export settings.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  15. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

btw, this happened while progressing to the above picture:

[​IMG]

The explosion muzzle flash came out of his crotch area. It was pretty funny.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That has nothing to do with my export settings. The bones are simply not there yet. (At least for the pistol, the ones for the first person arms where missing on import entirely) You still need to tell me where the gun attaches now. (the bone name I imagine)

That's a really good candidate for documentation as it affects 2 different people/teams and I don't want to have to ask you about every single detail in it.

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

The root bone of the pistol attaches to the socket defined in the 3rd/1st person model. The socket is set up in the editor (parented to a bone, just a flat offset position/rotation from the given bone) by right clicking on the bone and selecting 'Create new socket here'. There is a field in the weapon (called 'Weapon Attach Socket') that you can type in the name of the socket you gave it. This will let us set up multiple different sockets if we need them.

I have it set up right now, so you can take a look how I did it. I created a socket named "WeaponAttach" parented to the Right Hand ("r_hand" iirc). Also, you should check out the project before we get around to fixing it. Nothing like a mystical floating set of arms pointing the wrong direction exploding every time you fire. Today was a pretty hilarious day.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Heh neat. That's a lot easier to do than the bone merging in Source. I kinda guessed that's what sockets are for, but have not tried it out yet. That should also let me easily implement weapon attachments.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I am extremely tempted to advise you go the Goat Simulator route with this thing and just leave in anything that doesn't crash the game.

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I lost it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.