Empires on UE4 (A collaborative project)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Yeah. I kinda want to do cosmetic, attachable bits on player models and tanks as well, so this will be perfect for it.

2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Clients are now notified when another client fires his weapon. Turns out I only needed to make a 'NetMulticast' function. ezpz. Took me literally all day to find that. When you fire, the guns on remote clients play their effect!

I need to redo the FireShot code to better handle the fact that I need to actually simulate a shot on the client (traces and everything). This will take some time, but once I have that done, the game will be playable.

Almost to Infantry Prototype!

3. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Clients now simulate the shot (there are still bugs with this), allowing for impact effects and client particles to be displayed.

You can see it with 'emp.DesignDisplayFakeProjectiles 1' in the console, for fake projectiles.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Currently there really is no other way for me to turn all my models by 90° on export to make them facing forward along the +X axis. Either that or we have to do it in the Engine. But honestly I prefer the former, as it is less confusing for future contributors.

I also tried to attach the gun to the Hero_FPP, but could only get it to work in Persona (preview only) or directly in the editor on already spawned actors. I have no idea how I get it to spawn with the weapon in 1st and 3rd person right away. I'll have a look into animating the pistol this evening, if I have the time. (Christmas preparations and stuff...)

And I would really love if we find something more persistent to talk about things to implement. This forum isn't suited for team internal discussion and Steam chats are not persistent.

5. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

To get it to attach to the character, you need to add a bone so it imports as Skeletal Mesh, then add it to the Mesh field of the weapon's components.

Open the pistol item (Blueprints->Weapons->BE_Pistol), go to 'Components', Select 'Mesh1P' in the tree view, scroll down the property panel until you see 'Mesh', select your pistol. Do the same for Mesh3P.

While writing this, I realized I didn't hide the mesh after you put away the gun. GG me. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That still doesn't cover the communication issue though.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know, I kinda like having most of the discussion here. But I suppose that's because I'm kinda lazy and like getting all my info in one spot. Sifting through the thread for info on stuff is a bit of a hassle though.

Besides I don't know if most people would look at another forum or whatever to see if something happens. Keeping the discussion here keeps people interested and shows something is being worked on.

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I mean mostly team internal discussion. You really don't want to discuss every little thing openly.

9. Lazybum

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

10. FN198

FN198 Member

make a trello?

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I tried it again this evening and really couldn't get it to work. The spot where you described replaces the model completely, so it's only the arms or the gun.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

In the future, I'd agree with you. Right now, It's only you and me really working on this, so I don't see why not. I can make a forum for this on here (I'm hesitant to do so) so that we can discuss everything, but I still want the greater empires community to see what we are working on. It really helps keep the motivation up when people are seeing what I'm doing.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This. I may only understand every third post, but it sure is cool to see that anything is being done.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Alright, I fixed a number of issues with drawing and putting away the weapon.

I need to fix the fact that view models don't rotate with the FP model, but it all works now.

@firewarrior: You need to set the 3p and the 1p mesh to have the same mesh. That's why you were having issues. There are code reasons why there are two of them (One is set to be invisible to owner/visible to all, the other is set to be invisible to all/visible to owner). They should be the same mesh, just referenced twice.

Like I said, I need a new arms model. I can't remove the gun from the prototype model that I have. It's built into the model. If I had just arms, it'd be pretty clear what is going on.

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Still the input only takes one model, not like you suggested arms and then the weapon to attach it to the arms. That's completely independent from 1P and 3P being the same or not.

While I agree with you that posting progress is a nice thing, I really don't like have discussions like how to bind weapons models to weapon blueprints right here in this way. It takes quite a while to get a decent answer and everyone just talking in between the relevant posts just makes it harder to find anything. I can't even catch you on Steam chat most of the time.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Its as almost as if you guys would benefit from having an irc channel

17. Lazybum

You know I gotta say it is amazing how many triangles you can have in a scene but put a couple of shadows in and everything goes to shit. Map making is hard.

Blueprints are also hard, though can be hilarious to see what happens. Oh I wanted to ask about the character blueprint. I want to add a use key so players can open doors and what not, which blueprint would I add an interactive thing to?

18. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I have a system planned for that. I'm going to make a 'Usable Object' interface that you can include onto any blueprint and it would work. I haven't gotten around to it yet, so just make a trigger area that opens the doors.

19. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Oh, the Arms go onto the Character blueprint.

20. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Anyway, I'm struggling to get the gun to attach to the local player. Still fighting it. I downloaded Unreal Tournament to see how it works and it looks like im doing what they are doing, it's just not attaching right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.