Empires: A new musician

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AniCator, Mar 2, 2008.

1. AniCator

AniCator Member

A bit closer to battle, a bit closer to conflict, then finally a bit of conflict.

Download bitOfConflict.mp3

- AniCator

PS: I'm still having problems with my sequencer. You can't notice that in the track because I'm currently just making crap using the FLStudio Demo because the libraries don't work properly in Buzz. I'm also thinking about buying FLStudio. Shhh..

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i made a really long post about a load of stuff but then mozilla firefox crashed, so basically:

i like your music, but the second one has some false notes in it (the violin, it starts off false with its first note in my opinion, and along the line it goes false 4 or 5 times over

i would like some total anihillation type music for this game, i will host the best of the soundtrack if anyone wants to know what i mean when not playing the game (best soundtrack for rts ever, but mainly classical music)

3. AniCator

AniCator Member

Thanks for the reply,

You're right. It's actually a very crappy track. Sorry. :)
    I'll listen to some Total Annihilation tracks and see if I can make a track like that.
    The clustering French Horns didn't really fit either. :p
    Anyone else having any suggestions? Feel free to post them here.

- AniCator

EDIT: Oh fart! That soundtrack is amazing!!!
    EDIT2: To make those kind of tracks I'll have fix the sequencer problem first. Otherwise I will never be able to finish the tracks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no need for apologies, it was a contribution and any contribution is a good one

try to listen to "desolation", "track 8" , "stealth" and "charred dreams"
    they might be a bit to theatrical and sad, but it gives a good rts mood, (i am thinking the new swamp map here, but it is usable on every map) perhaps only some elements of them in a more energetic music could be used

"Forrest green" "track 2", "track 4" and 'track 5" and are good ones because they lie close to the genre that empires is, they are energetic, and positive but with a sad longing undertone fitting to the story of empires

rs, bad quality sound ("crackling" can be herd on some songs) its an old game...
    i am not sure the game still has copy right, but just listen to it and remove if you are into that thing...

http://rapidshare.com/files/160561950/cavedog_total_annihilation.rar

and yes, i sometimes have them on my home audio system playing out loud... just that awesome and i <3 this kind of classical music

edit: add track 3 to the list of must listen...
    edit2: just listen to the whole thing, they are ALL worth it

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  5. AniCator

AniCator Member

I see your point. And I would love to make a track that sounds like that.^^
    As soon as I've solved that nasty problem I'll try to make one.:pathetic:

You didn't actually mention this but I started to think about making a theatrical track for Empires. Not really meant for the game but for the story.
    I've got to check the wiki again and read the story.:rolleyes:

If you've got any more tips, feel free to post them. I have a very open mind. I'm like a SVN repository. xD
    Naaah. Bad joke. :p

I'll keep you up-to-date.

- AniCator

PS: Fixing the sequencer is one. Making the track is a very large two. It'll take a lot of time and dedication to make. I don't want to make a sloppy track. I usually finish my tracks in a few hours. I'd like to spend more time on this track. Classical music is serious shit. It's hard.
    And of course the original 'Alliance' track is still one of the best tracks of Empires. :D

6. AniCator

AniCator Member

I managed to fix the sequencer problem. It works (for now).
    I've started working on a new track. I named it 'Our Obdurate Past'.
    It would be nice if you would help me judging parts of the track and making new melodies. You're the community that plays/used to play Empires. Teamwork might even in this case be good.

For example: At 2:47 the violins need to play a different melody because it will get repetitive if I keep it like this. Which is something you need to avoid at all times when making theatrical track.

The ending of this track isn't necessarily the actual ending. I can still extend/change the ending of the track.

Download OurObduratePast_v2.mp3(9MB, 320kbps)

Thanks for reading/downloading/listening,

- AniCator

EDIT: I think I should add an extra instrument/melody at 1:30.
    EDIT2: I have to get rid of the annoying staccato trumpets at 1:11.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

fantastic start, seriously, i just listened to the first 5 seconds and got cold shivers down my skull to tailbone thingy... you have the mood covered quite good

the trumpets sometimes start off a bit to sharp to me (would "dim" them a little at the first few notes in my opinion, soften them out a tad, now i think about it you had the same with your previous songs so i guess this could be your "style" or something, i don't know :o)

i like the melodies, very very fitting, although you recycled the tapping rain empiresmod melody it does sound quite fitting, i would add to the soft swaying violins going to a bit more aggressive violins trough it on the parts that are repeating and lengthen it out a bit, but thats just me and i just love violins... so its just advice

my thoughts are mixed, its a very good base, but i agree on your own conclusions that the ending needs different, (well, actually i hear a great intro, start and ending, but i kind of miss the more violent mid part that the start is building up to)

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I was about to say the same as Blizzerd. Up to the first minute, I felt like saying "this is a new trailer soundtrack" (we're very specific about our trailers). Unfortunately, the bombastic feeling that can be heard with other trailers never occurred. It just kinda kept rolling, being nice, but not living up to its name.

Check out both videos to see what I mean: http://www.moddb.com/mods/empires/videos

Especially the second video will be of interest to you. It starts out the same way you do, but uses some more bombastic notes to really get that feel of epicness.

9. AniCator

AniCator Member

Our Obdurate Past v3
    Thanks for all the feedback,

I see what you mean Beerdude26. I noticed it as well.
    The climax point is on my To-Do list now. Climax's are quite hard since you have to keep them balanced.

Download OurObduratePast_v3.mp3(9MB, 320kbps)

Yes, it is better. My younger brother liked it, he's usually not really into my music. He played Empires a long time ago and has to take a lot of effort to remember anything but he did recognize the Empires theme.
    I'm not sure if Alliance contains the original theme melody but I'm sure I'm making it sound like it. :p
    Actually the whole track is based around the theme. All I did was adding new melodies coming from my mind.

I'll work on the violins as well. I've already added some more aggressive violins not the ones that you want but they're predecessors of the climax point I'm working on.
    Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it.

Feel free to give even more suggestions/feedback.
    EPICNESS IS IMMINENT,

- AniCator

PS: I love postscript. I've already been thinking about the ending. I might try to extend the track to let's say 6 minutes.

10. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I think there should be some drums in with the horn to fill the void and make it seem more aggressive.

But I do love it what it's becoming, and it's great to see you back in the fray AniCator!

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah you definitely improved it a lot, it really builds up until 01:12, but then suddenly it starts to lose momentum again. Between 01:12 and 01:30 it just repeats a bit, could you create a version that just goes immediately to 01:30? (From 01:18 right to 01:30). It'll keept the momentum in.

Also, the trumpets sound 7 times without any big changes (01:30 to 02:11). I keep expecting some final buildup. Another suggestion: You have two "trumpet-breakdowns", one at 01:53 and another at 02:05. Removing the first one will once again keep the liveliness in it.

What I especially find silly is that the Empires Theme starts playing at 02:36, nearly pianissimo-like, just these little toggles on harps, just when I expected the real armada to break loose. You suddenly let go of the violins ("OH YEAH THIS WILL BE AWESOME") and all I hear is this really soft and gentle toggling :p Play around a bit with the bassness and use a different instrument for that part. I have no knowledge of orchestral instruments, so I'll let your expertise do the mixing :p

BTW, here were some other candidates for the trailer soundtrack, some of them were pretty good.

CharScores
    Song: Action Theme - My absolute favourite. An instantly intriguing start, which starts up slowly with heavy trumpets and violins supporting them. Then it quickly hits you with a few big punches, starts an incredible guitar riff and then it flows into one incredible orchestra, bringing you from one high to another. Then it breaks down and delivers some incredible stuff, after which it relaxes for a second and the end is preluded with a piano and afterwards some soft violins.

Nash Sound Studios
    Song: Extraction Point - Has a few good buildups, especially in the beginning, then it kinda goes all electro-like and without direction, and then again in the end it does a really good ending
    Song: Desert Lights - This one was actually never an option, I just loved it for the great action feeling. It's short and sweet.

I can't find the others, unfortunately. Sound Radius' Judgement Day was what ultimately made it, but that's not very interesting :p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  12. AniCator

AniCator Member

Thanks a lot,

I've tried to change the track but I think I got stuck.
    Removing the pizzicato violins that play the main theme feels like I'm removing too much.
    I think I should fix some of the smaller issues but I think the theme should be played this way.
    It was part of the original concept of this track.
    This track could be played when everybody is working on the base. I've already removed the repetitive part from 01:12 till 01:30.

Download OurObduratePast_v4.mp3(9MB, 320kbps) (it has a few seconds of silence at the end XD)

- AniCator

13. johnsky

johnsky Member

I like, I like...

I'm also trying to switch styles at the moment in order to submit some music, normally I compose piano pieces, but I'm up for the challenge of twisting my head around a new style.

I have one very important question though...

... very very important...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT SOFTWARE ARE YOU USING?!

I've been looking for replacement software for my compositions, but either the software I look into seems to be total garbage, or it costs the same as a compact car.

By the sounds of it, whatever you're using allows you quite a bit more freedom than what I'm trapped using.

14. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

Anticator has been officially nominated for being the MOST FUCKING EPIC junior member of EVER.

CONGRATS!

*cookies*

15. AniCator

AniCator Member

New track: Difficulties (Work-In-Progress?)

I made a track that can be further developed. I was thinking about blending in the Empires theme. This would be the intro of that track. It could server as a trailer track or simply as an in-game track that starts out dark and then lightens up symbolizing the expansion of your base. After that I might add in some battle epicness but I'm not sure about that though. Maybe it should simply server as a comfortable start.mp3 track but I'm not sure about that. I heard that people would like to see a new music system work in Empires.

Anyway, click the link below to download the track.
    Download: http://www.anicator.com/gallery/music/Difficulties.mp3

- AniCator