Empires: A new musician

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AniCator, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

What you are doing right now is great, anicator. Don't change for the man :p

2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Don't listen to even let you style develop how ever you will. I like the idea of electronic inclusion. I think the simplest to recreate dynamic music system was used in fallout tactics.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/84171373a37746/ One song would play when you entered combat and would loop as long as action was maintained the song chosen was directly related to the type of enemy you were fighting.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/84172075442dd9/ Then as soon as you or the enemy had fallen the track would stop playing and the "end" of the song would play.
    So if you made tracks for: Few infantry, many infantry, few low tier tanks, many low tier tanks, Few high tier tanks, many high tier tanks. along with thier "End" tracks then we could have a simple dynamic system that adjusts to the battle.
    just a thought...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  3. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I was referring to the parts with the violin lead where it's epic, the violin provides the feeling of hopelessness and overwhelming odds a "It's All or nothing now!" feeling. Those parts arn't too epic but then again as long as it's not over done it's impossible to get the user too immersed.

Just promise it'll have violins, as long as it has a violin lead like that in there I'm sure it will sound fantastic.

And yes that is the love theme for the new MGS4 game.

4. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I like them, I already replaced the "start" song with Investigation & I'm using Dubee's remix as my main menu theme. :D

5. AniCator

AniCator Member

From an Empires musician wannabe: News and Replies

Hello Vessboy,

That's an interesting idea, but I think it will be hard for the Empires team to implement a system like that. I have little programming experience, so I could be wrong.
    From a musical perspective, I think there will be too much switching between the tracks making it nearly impossible to play all the '_end' tracks inside the time pauses between battles. There also is a chance that the player will encounter multiple hostiles on his screen, when in the heat of battle. This could even become a really big problem if the music is based on some sort of a ray-system detecting the army in front of him. Offcourse a big battle track could be made for that, but I think it would be easier to make one big long battle track. A battle of about ten minutes, or two tracks of ten minutes to keep some variety in the music.
    Thanks,
    This really makes me feel good, I like it to hear that people like my tracks. I think I could say these tracks are my first real successes.
    You will get your violin.;)

Information about the battle track I'm making:
    Name: Red Heat
    Intro: Soft, to prepare the player for a more heroic theme.(done)
    Part I: Soft but with a lot of instruments playing together, they play a short intro to the heroic theme.(done)
    Part II: Epic but not too epic.
    Part III: ?

- AniCator

6. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I vote dynamic over a 10 minute track. If I were you I'd have a discussion with krenzo, about what kind of systems you have at your disposal. Cause I see all sorts of triggers directly related to the state of a match. Research, death rate, resource use, not to mention proximity to hostile units. Subtlety should be demonstrated in all cases tho.

7. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I, now declare this thread officially made of win....

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

9. Namst

Namst Member

Damn, good music. Wasn't able to fully appreciate it; my sound card wasn't able to handle the awesomeness. I can do violin, but I'm only good for Celtic music (somehow doubt The Kesh Jig will mix well with empires theme/ your theme... trying now). Achieving an epic sound will be out of my reach until I can master my vibrato. It's been eluding me for years!:(

edit: indeed celtic + empires = lose, but celtic + empires + sound card that has trouble handling 1 at a time = epic fail

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  10. AniCator

AniCator Member

Thanks again.

Thanks for you comments,

Red Heat is still in production, it needs too sound good. I made 'Empires' and 'Investigation' in about 30 minutes each. But 'Red Heat' really takes some more time, it has to be balanced.
    Another option would be class-based music. So I mean that a track made for the class you play at that moment will be played. Still your method sounds very attractive because you can really avoid player boredom. The player will ignore the music too much when it's repeating all the time, so your proposal is a good one.
    Interesting.
    It doesn't always depend on your sound card. ;) I'm using a build-in one (OK, I know it's an AC97) . It depends a lot on my RAM here, but I haven't had problems on my computer with that. I did on my old one, less RAM means that you can use only a few instruments.

- AniCator

PS: I lost contact with Krenzo. Anyone able to help?

11. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Update your drivers. I did and now people can hear my mic.

12. Namst

Namst Member

Oh, really? Sweet! Ill go and give it a try.

Sorry if my last post was confusing or just weird, it was too late and I probably should have been sleeping.

13. AniCator

AniCator Member

A small problem

Hello everyone,

I have a few problems here that keeps me from expanding the 'Empires' soundtrack. I'll try to work on the soundtrack as soon as possible. Please don't worry, my music will be back here when I've solved the problems.

Thanks for reading,

- AniCator

14. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Contraceptive SpongeBob Member

The songs in the game were written by Krenzo and a friend. They are probably here to stay. I already tried to do this, and despite alot of positive reviews (and I am a professional symphony composer by trade, even) Krenzo didn't want them.

I was able to turn around and get several other jobs, and the rejected music from Empires is now under other use. Oh, and my wallet finally has some weight again!

I did Fistfull of Frags as my mod music, and am happy with that. They have some of it in the main menu, and there will be more in the game media.

My suggestion is to find a younger mod, it will save you alot of frustration. At some point, I think Empires will get new music, but no time soon. Unless it was just me that didn't get it right, then that's what I'd suggest.

I'm alot happier now!

15. AniCator

AniCator Member

The 'Team'-page on the website shows that the musician has retired from the project. I assume he was interrested when I heard the soundtrack I made, after a few days I lost contact with him.

16. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Contraceptive SpongeBob, if you missed the point anymore you'd be aiming in the opposite direction, Krenzo's stubborn yes, but like all things it takes while for stuff to grown on a person, that's how it was with all my sounds. He did like them at first but after while, and after I released them to the public for people to enjoy and try out he added them to the next release.

Which is why I advised you in the PM to have patience.

Heh, he's probably really busy or too lazy to reply, I'd continue on your current course and keep on showing the public.

17. Contraceptive SpongeBob

Contraceptive SpongeBob Member

Well, the Emp_Loss theme is still avalible. If you really want, I can put up some stuff again. I just think, after talking to Krenzo, that he likes what they had. Unless there was a really strong following of people who wanted the symphony route, I wasn't going to do it. It's time consuming and expensive to produce these things. I just passed over my busy season, so I have some time off until may or so.

But, whatever works. I always have material avalible for use. If you really still want to go that route, or just to get some new ideas, etc, PM me.

I have access to the studio too, but I've got some scheduled time I have to do sessions (yuck, some girl singer)... I can always get out the old amps and toss in some guitar, drums, etc. That might take a while to get scheduled, but what the hell, it's fun. If I were to record it at home, I'd have to replace the tubes in my amp to do guitars, and that will cost $60 or more (whatever 2 6L6s and 4 12AX7s cost). Even the preamp tubes are shot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  18. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Heh, cool, didn't mean to insult you but you shouldn't give up so easily man.

19. AniCator

AniCator Member

I make my tracks in about 30 to 45 minutes. I don't have a professional rack but I'm using free soundfonts and VSTs and a free sequencer. I like to make music, I'm a hobbyist, my biggest hobbies are making music and 3D animation.

What gear do you have? If you're a professional I could learn some stuff from you. I got plenty of instruments. Offcourse I don't have all of them, I might get the East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition but I don't at the moment. I tried the Gold Edition, wonderful sound quality! Personal use, I didn't publish the tracks I made with the Gold Edition because well... you know.. d-o-w-n>l<o#a}d....blabla...

I'm curious about more of your old 'Empires' soundtrack. I see you made them for version 1.3.

20. Goose

Goose Member