Empires: A new musician

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AniCator, Mar 2, 2008.

1. AniCator

AniCator Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Caggers

Caggers Member

They sound quite good and remind me of the soundtrack for the original age of empires.

3. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

wow great sounds dude.

fits perfect into the empires universe.

(why is this in the suggestions thread though?)

4. AniCator

AniCator Member

I suggest this:
    New soundtracks for Empires. That would be great! :)

5. Terminal58

Terminal58 Member

I hope you get in tracks sound great.

I actually hope you and the programmer can put together dynamic music for the heat of battle.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i liked both.

7. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I really like this

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I really like this too. Awesome job

EDIT:

Probably possible to program something to load one of a few possible sounds at the beginning of the round so we wouldn't have to delete the old tracks completely, though I do think these two are good enough to replace the current ones.

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I like it, though I'm still kinda partial to the current musics. I kinda like the semi-muted ambient Mechwarrior-like beginning music, this seems a bit less "ambient" than I'd like.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah this is nice.. I like how you basically took the same compositions and made them sound better.. very nice, but those snare rolls on investigation empires sound kinda loud(maybe too much reverb too, but this is just my opinion).. but other then that its awesome..

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

i like the snare rolls :D

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah me too dont get me wrong.. Its just that im really picky when it comes to drums and fake drums stand out to me alot more then the average listener.. lol Im making a DnB version of that song for fun that i'll post up later :gasmask:

lol emp dnb

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  13. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Rampantandroid and I were working on a server plugin and I had your two songs on repeat for like 5 hours. Good stuff.

14. Extrems

Extrems Webmaster Extraordinaire

The first one sounds like a MIDI...
    As for the second one, like grapehead said: "...but those snare rolls on investigation empires sound kinda loud..."

15. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Wow these songs are just damn brilliant. Maybe we should release a Empires-soundtrack CD :P!

16. AniCator

AniCator Member

Thanks for all of your comments,
    I was thinking about leaving most of the old tracks in for the real fans (including me) .
    There's a small chance that they sound MIDI, only a few of my instruments have, sound like MIDI, but I also have alternative instruments for those so I usually avoid using them. I'll work on the snare rolls.
    I was thinking about having an logic_auto entity that plays the music (ambient_generic) of the 'building phase'. Then another trigger in the logic_auto triggers after a certain amount of time (the playtime of the previous soundtrack) and then play another ambient_generic that plays an investigation track (a.k.a. Building forward bases and exploring the map) . Then after that track you'll have a battle track. I was thinking about making the battle track a really long soundtrack, like ten minutes. I hope I can pull it of, because I really have to watch out to not make the track sound repetitive.

Thanks again for your comments,

- AniCator

17. AniCator

AniCator Member

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to reply to this greatest post of them all!
    Wonderful mix. This is the first time someone (re)mixes one of my tracks. :D

Take a beer, or a bottle of Coca Cola,

- AniCator

PS: I don't drink.

18. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Well I understand the need for audio, I'm pretty much empires mod's sound engineer, I put together all of the small arms sounds and explosions, been mixing aircraft lately.

We need a theme like this, it's this kinda suspense-thrill music that I love, and violins are awesome.
    www.empiresuniverse.com/MGS4.mp3

19. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

This snippet sounds like Pirates of the Caribbean :( !

20. AniCator

AniCator Member

MGS4, just a guess: Metal Gear Solid 4? :D

I had something like this in mind, however I think this example is a little bit too epic for an Empires battle. Offcourse the player has to be sucked into the game, but the fun-factor is important too and if the music sucks the player in too much there is a chance that there will be players leaving because of the music. They'll say the music is too overwhelming making them to distracted, making them play like new players.

So here's my idea, a soft build-up of orchestra instruments forming the intro. Then the instruments will play a more dramatic part that will indicate 'danger' in a certain way. When the danger is over there will be another soft part but a short one and then the gates of Oblivion will open (a.k.a. all hell will break loose).

- AniCator

PS: Optionally I could also blend in some electronic instruments.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008