Empires 2.52.8 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Dec 25, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Changelog:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

I've been wanting to speed up cannons since forever. The greater the speed differential, the easier it is to make armors that provide bonuses based on projectile speed. However, there's a nagging cannon bug that significantly messes up the aim on cannons with higher speeds. The bug is currently being investigated (among other cannon bugs).

As it would turn out, something about cannon speed had to be done a little early. So cannon speeds were increased about as far as they can be reasonably increased. They will be increasing considerably in future releases, Rail Gun in particular.

Also, Rail Guns were changed to make more room at the lower cycle times (cough*autocannonsdefinitelyarentcoming*cough)and lower its heat/s.

Just doing some housekeeping. In an honest goof on my part, homing salvo wasn't properly edited in the past. Its changes should've been made a couple releases ago.

Homing ML never felt terribly useful to me. This is just an honest clip size buff to pull up Homing's shitty long term DPS.

Some people were providing feedback that the Multi MLs weren't properly balanced. We'll see what happens when they are a bit tougher against moving targets at long range.

A lower speed also makes them slightly more vulnerable to any armors that are strong against slower projectiles.

Compo deserved a buff, but I had cold feet after rebalancing it in the last release.

Regen has a pretty significant change now that its regeneration never stops even when an armor side is completely depleted. So it's regen was lowered back to 6 HP/s. That's probably still too much, but we'll see what happens.

Absorbant's speed to damage modifier was too high. It can be lowered if cannons get faster, but there's currently a bug that prevents cannons from getting significantly faster. Still, I thought it was fair to drop it down to where it probably needs to be. As a consolation, absorbant gets a significant resist against DU and HEMG. They aren't affected by Speed to Damage since they are hit scan and have no physics speed.

Budget Armor wasn't quite where I wanted it to be relative to Plain Armor. Moving Plain Armor to 20 weight was actually a small buff relative to the other armor changes. Budget Armor's weight probably needs to be 9, but we'll move it to an even 8 and see what happens.

Brittle Armor is the opposite of Absorbant armor (without any cooling effects). I was planning on implementing it, but its implementation was moved up a bit due to feedback from the playerbase. In general, it's relatively strong to weapons with slow moving projectiles like missiles or gren rpgs and weak against faster moving projectiles like those from cannons. Unfortunately, there's a bug that prevents cannon speeds from moving up to where they need to be, so a 20% damage bonus is provided to std cannon, ER cannon and rails until the bug can be fixed. Likewise, anti-vehicle MGs like DU or HEMG are hitscan and have no physics speed, so they need a manual 50% resist as well. This resist will probably not be removed.

Capacitive Armor was another armor that I've been wanting to implement. Trainzack made a great thread suggesting an armor that had slowly decreasing HP (among other things). Unfortunately some of its ancillary features are not possible under the current script implementation and I had already made the Capacitive Armor icon a few weeks prior, so we'll be trying out Capacitive Armor instead. It has the same decreasing HP that Trainzack's suggestion requested. A corner case in the armor regen implementation means that it does not lose HP on a given side until it takes damage on that side. This could be fixed, but I think it's kinda cool so we'll try it in this implementation first. In general, Capacitive Armor has "too much" HP relative to its weight, but it loses 1HP/s after it's been damaged. We'll see how that plays out.

The two new armors were placed in Biology and Electrical Engineering. Biology might sound like an odd place for Brittle Armor, but we have a few other armors in the pipeline that are more strict about needing to go in other trees and I'd rather aim for 2 armors per tree is possible. Also, it just so happens that the IRL material that would make Brittle Armor tick doesn't exist in usable formats, so it's a decent cop-out to just have magical biological organisms grow/build the armor for us.

For Pistol1, it never really made sense to me that the machine pistol has 25 rounds per mag and its grip (i.e. magazine) is barely larger than that of pistol1, so I think a bump to 18 is in order. Also, running out of ammo sucks, so the max ammo was bumped in order to let players pick up an even magazine from each ammo pickup and hold a bit more in the end. Oh and it's technically full auto now, but that won't be a significant change since its cycle time was not changed.

Paradox was complaining that the machine pistol is too easy to accurately "single shoot" while crouched. I can't disagree. Honestly the NFAR/BEHR need similar adjustments, but we'll do that later.

The shotty pistol's cycle time has always pissed me off. I feel like double barrel shotguns oughta have quick cycle times. In addition, it's technically full auto as well so you can just hold down left mouse to fire off both barrels. Also of note, the shotty pistol used to be more accurate when prone and moving than when crouched and moving. This makes no sense, so that spread was adjusted to match that of the crouch state.

The Shotgun's damage was a bit high when it adopted the Shotty Pistol's stupidly tight spread (note the shotgun of last year had an even tighter spread), so that was adjusted so now the damage is only barely greater than that of the shotty pistol. It's getting closer and closer to being a 6-shell shotty pistol, lol. In addition the shotty pistol's prone spread fix was also necessary since they share spread implementations.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think capacitive's hp damage is a bit too low, if you are fighting for less than 30 seconds, which isn't hard to do, it's a straight buff to reactive. But, we'll see after it gets played with.

Most of the rest seems neat. At worst I can say I don't quite like how end game armors seem to be heading towards one thing, abs for nf and possibly brittle for be, but I don't know, most players might not care or really notice.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

does it stop to decay once its fully repaired? also does it start to decay on dents from bumping into stuff?

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yes to both questions.

Also, testing regen, yeah that's too fast. It'd be fine if the hp was even lower like 20-30, so it can be kinda like that shield armor you made in your custom scripts. If you want tanks to take a hit form the armor first then keep the hp but lower regen down to like 3 hp a tic or something.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

"Shotgun ruins gameplay"

"I know, ill just lower the minimum damage abit"

Yeah, no thanks, this fixes nothing.

P1 buffs - noone asked for this

Changing Nfar/Behr - go f yourself.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Shotgun falloff is nowhere near drastic enough, damage is secondary to that. Also this still isn't posted in the Steam news section.

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

iirc, the code is something like
    if(health != maxHealth) DoRegen(); every tick.

As long as the health is not maxed, it is doing the regen status effects.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

havent had time to play actual full games, but from what ive seen:

you still havent done shit to fix the tanks turret being all fucked up and either shooting itself or bouncing when you lowered its axis

making cannons faster seems good

buffing rails seems good
    that "nerf" will do nothing to triple/double ml
    rails are still shit next to triple ml since you didnt nerf it

i dont like the idea of adding new stuff when you havent balanced the ones you already have. especially since you just throw the armors in random places.

you keep nerfing the shotgun a little every version. why cant you admit that you made shotgun horrible and revert it to what it was

changing the pistol1 is stupid easy mode shit

the same with the shotty pistol. dumb

someone touched the shotty pistol

in short:
    why cant this damn game shit be simple

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The changes to the shotty were just to fix some issues afaik. The only rules Spartacus must abide by are not changing the shotty or mortar. That spread mod only affects the shotty when you're moving while prone, which you can't shoot during, so it's just a consistency thing in the scripts.

Or at least that's what Spartacus told me on Steam.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

its full auto

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That's a shame, the mortar is still too efficient.

13. Z100000M

shotty now fires auto, instead of a single shot you get two superfast derp shots

Believe spartacus more

14. ImSpartacus

To be clear, I write a small essay every patch exhaustively explaining the motivation behind each and every single change.

To elaborate, when talking with people like Candles or something, I often get warned, "Remember you can't compare the normal shotgun to the shotty pistol because the shotty pistol has a much lower cycle time because it's a double barrel." Then I tell them the actual (enormous) cycle time and they go, "Oh, ok. I didn't know they were basically the same."

So I don't see that as changing the "spirit" of the weapon. I see it as aligning the weapon to player expectations. In particular, expectations of a few players that have a frightening amount of gren experience.

15. Z100000M

You know i dont even know where to start to call bullshit on that, so ill just leave it at the fact that the expectation wouldnt be for it to fire two times at a rapid pace but fire TWICE AT THE SAME TIME.

Notice the SINGLE trigger on the model.

16. ImSpartacus

If we want to play that game, then I'd draw your attention to the lack of a hammer or other action.

[​IMG]

That means that we're somehow operating in a semi-automatic configuration. Given that, I think it's more than reasonable to expect two trigger pulls within two tenths of a second. That's the fourth longest cycle time in the game behind the rpg, mortar, scout rifle and shotgun. All of those weapons actually have elaborate fire animations that take place. The shotty pistol fire animation is very brief.

17. Z100000M

No, no it isnt. You have a single trigger that somehow operates both of the barrels.
    Shotty already looks like a one way ticket to a broken wrist. Packing this much punch with such a short barrel means the recoil wouls be immense. Delaying the second shot but still having it trigger on the same pull means youre shooting into the sky.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Okay, you nerfed your OP shotgun for 3 times.
    Here's how the max damage per shot changed : 960->720->400->320. such drop wow.

Decrease max damage per pellet further down to 14~16.
    It would make 224~256 max damage per shot. At this point shotgun is still equally deadly, but you actually get punished for an improper shot.
    Not like : Oops I killed you but I have no idea how I did that.

The two main weakpoints of our classic shotty pistol is the magazine size, and your enemy has to be uncovered because it is impossible for you to determine where a single pellet would go.

2-shell isn't twice better than 1-shell, it's like five times better, for obvious reasons.
    Now we have a 6-shell shotty.

I know it hurts you, but you should do it.

19. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

hold it sideways!

20. ImSpartacus

Just for everyone else's benefit, I want to mention that those damages are not comparable. To put it simply, you can't say "you nerfed it three times in a row." That is incorrect. I can't overstate that. It's 100% incorrect. This is not debatable.

Infantry weapons are very complex and it is not possible to "dumb" them down to just calculating the max damage at zero distance. That's a perverse oversimplification and I can't stand when people do it.

I'd say that the 2.52.7 shotgun was the most overpowered shotgun that we've ever had. It was absolutely ridiculous. But that's the "400" in your list. What gives? Well the complex nature of spread and falloff are "what gives".

That's just one example of why you absolutely cannot just calculate the max zero distance damage and try to make a comparison. You'll be wrong more than you're right.