emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, May 13, 2006.

1. R_yell

R_yell Member

I have no plans for more maps using so many displacements in several months, want to expand to other areas

here is, hope is clear enough, I'm not used to publish scripts :o, but is very simple.

http://www.mytempdir.com/691321

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Does this mean this will be your only map for Empires? Your methods and techniques would be perfect for when we need a large map for aircraft after we add them and decrease the scale of everything to increase the effective map size.

3. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

yikes could of warned us you were scaling everying down...

I'm not bother carrying on with my map to normal scale :D

How much is the scale increased by Krenzo so I can get making it for the proper scale?

Anyhow about the map.

I feel it is looking great, maybe add 1 or 2 dead trees or some catus's litterered around at odd points :D

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The scale it not going to be a definite change. The emp_params entity will have an option where you tell it what scale to make everything. It wouldn't make sense to force people to work at a reduced scale if they're not going to make a map at the largest scale.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Krenzo, you're a genious!

6. R_yell

R_yell Member

can we talk? :)

I was thinking about some desert vegetation, a bush so sneaky campers can hide there :D Shouldn't be a problem.

This is a new shot, we have roads:

[​IMG]

7. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

The dirt seems to end very abruptly when it hits the bridge, is there any way you could blend it slightly? Other than that, the roads are good :)

8. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Yeah, and it seems the roots of the bushes would hit the asphalt, near the edge. But otherwise, amazing work! How did you create the road texture there? Decals?

9. R_yell

R_yell Member

It's a seamless overlay made by me. I could create another version with a faded end, but it's just a little detail, not essential IMO.

10. supaste

supaste Member

just wondering where did you learn to map like this?

is it your job or just a hobby?

11. R_yell

R_yell Member

It's a hobby for the moment -I hope-. I learnt reading tutorials, mapping forums, and making a lot of mistakes, experience is all.

12. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Briliant!
    some more elevations to give cover to whatever tries to move around would make sense from a gameplay point of viwe, apart from that, exelent work!

13. R_yell

R_yell Member

Here is the final sky, looks more natural. Previously I tried that orange stormy sky, but then decided blue fits better. Unleast lot of people think orange is better, blue will be the final:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    that's a construction area, I think some holes can be added so that part is not so hard for infantry

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  14. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I just wanted to say that I am very excited to play this map!

I think the blue sky looks better. It contrasts with the ground more and just looks prettier.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

you definately made the right choice of sky there. the blue does look better. did you make them yourself? photoshop or images?

The roads are really nice too, but have you considered using a more muddy water texture? if that's running water in that kind of dusty environment, wouldn't it be a little more churned up?

I want to play this map! :)

16. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

17. R_yell

R_yell Member

I know what you mean, to create the perfect river mud texture it should start very dark and then blend with the dry gound near the river. That could be made using an overlay, in fact hundred of them, and that's the problem. I've used more than 300 overlays, so many that performance decreased a little. Limit is 512.

he he, ok it's fixed.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

You misundertand me. The ground texture around the water is fine, I was meaning the water itself. It looks quite blue and clear as it is, maybe using one of the more murky canal textures would make it look more realistic?

19. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

if its the blue i think your talking about that is the reflection of the sky and the only way to change is to change the color of the sky, imo the red dirty sky looked more cool , was a change from the blue's

20. SemnteX

SemnteX Member

the stormy orange sky looked so much better than the cheerful blue, i think the orange one would give a better atmosphere. kinda bleak end of the world, were all gonna die kind of thing.