emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, May 13, 2006.

1. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I like the blue

2. R_yell

R_yell Member

Ah sorry, yes, the water at some angles looks quite blue, but I like as is now.

yes that was de idea, it's very apocalyptic and shocking, but it also breaks every theory about color in videogames, could be harder for the eyes watching so much red.

3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Wierd, I used to be able to make displacements using your technique without a problem. Now, I keep getting compile errors when using dispgen. I think a recent valve update fucked it up or something. I am pretty sure it is because dispgen gives all displacements the same ID. I have that PHP script you made, and I filled out all the filepaths, but I have no idea how to use it. :( Also, the map looks great, and the blue sky is a lot better.

4. supaste

supaste Member

looking reeal good with that sky : )

is there a planned release date for this map?

5. R_yell

R_yell Member

that's pretty odd, the last update broke something to me too, but the .vmf format should be the same for consistency reasons. So I have no idea. The id changer only need to be used in case you want to add overlays to your map. To execute it you'll need a local PHP server installed on your system, google for "easyphp", install it, copy the script inside the www folder created under easyphp/, and you should be able to run it using your browser. URL is localhost, can be accesed under the easyphp tray icon.

this week for sure, as release candidate

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Awesome map :D keep working hard on this one... Kind of reminds me of Red Alert 2 :p

I would go with an orange sky, gives it a better feel. Someone a few posts before said that its like the end of the world, dark and unforgiving.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

While the orange does convey a bit of an apocalyptic feeling, I think that ultimately it hurts the overall color scheme. Everything becomes somewhat drab and washed out with the orange sky and fog, almost to the point where I become genuinely averse to the image. The blue sky makes it much easier on the eyes, and I would bet that spotting profiles against the horizon would be somewhat easier.

Problem is, after writing the bulk of this post, I've grown somewhat attached to the oppressive feel the dusk sky conveys. The blue sky seems too... Upbeat in comparison. I've been in the desert, and I know that it can actually look like that, but I still think that you should try to make it a little more foreboding should you go with the blue sky. Storm clouds on the horizon, maybe?

And on a final note, R_yell, what's up with the footbridge in the second picture there? I don't really like the look of it. Besides looking structurally impossible, it doesn't really have the amount of detail present in the rest of your work on the map.

8. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

By the way, I hope you've made a backup. I'd kill myself if you lost the source and couldn't develop it any further.

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

As long as he has a compiled copy of the map, and does not make a mark in the Map Properties that disallow it to be decompiled, he's fine if he loses the source code. You may find a map decompiler at http://www.geocities/cofrdrbob/ (or you may find the few-months-outdated mirror at http://www.hlrse.net/cofrdrbob/).

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the blue with the orange clouds from a few pages back.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  11. R_yell

R_yell Member

yes that was my idea too, there are some storm clouds just in the middle, but I couldn't control the exact amount of dark clouds.

that's a quite simple bridge, right, but I don't think is structurally impossible. Tries to be just a temporal and very light bridge. I'll improve the small pillars, so they make more sense, but the overall structure is right to me.

[​IMG]

Today I plan to work over the rock butt, actual is just a placeholder, final should be something near to the real thing.

I'll take care about back-ups, don't worry :)

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

It appears to be a rectangular metal frame with a wire-mesh filling it in, with minimal anchoring. You wouldn't find me walking on that! Add in a bit more anchoring with ropes (such as having ropes extending back from the poles away from the bridge, connecting to anchors in the ground), and maybe do something with the frame. I think you can safely squeeze in a few more brushes, there.

13. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

bridge looks fine to me, maybe a different texture but apart from that its looks good

14. Gusher

Gusher Member

You got some nice work here, thought I'd find you over here........

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

about that bridge, if they have all those different armor and engin types, im sure they can research rope upgrades to make bridges =D

16. R_yell

R_yell Member

This is the last big addition, a replica from one of the famous buttes of Monument Valley. It's far from being perfect, but it fits well IMO. Polycount is 4000/2000 (LOD).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm just waiting for some steam updates to be completed, I can't use Hammer now. Once is ready I'll fix a few things and tomorrow should be uploaded a version for betatesting purposes.

17. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Even the minimap looks great.

18. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I like the way you made the fog blend in seamlessly with the sky.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

sky colour looks pretty ^^

20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

That's how it's supposed to work. :D