emp_homeland_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flounder, Sep 30, 2008.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why crates? why not just... i dunno car wreckages that are dynamic? i love dynamic cover and especially when its spawned at random locations

i bet tanks can push them asides if needed but will add to the load

much better then random crates, this is not cs

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

someone caught on, lol

Never thought about dynamic models being used in empires. Guess it wont' hurt. Just add to the load...

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

well, i always had the idea of having those hl2 car wreckages in your city map, i even considered making my own city "street" to see if it worked out okay with tanks, but never got to it

if you try it but decide not to add it definitely, tell me what went wrong with it etc, i am fairy interested in the end results of any tests with this

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

A problem with the dynamic cars; there's gauranteed to be someone that grabs a tank for the sake of pushing them into a roadblock and suddenly infantry cant advance on 1 street.

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

that'd be pretty fun though. plus you can always jump on the cars, or get your own tank..

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Theres enough instikill issues due to getting stuck on static objects. I doubt you will be able to climb the cars without being car-raped.

7. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Blizzerd, if i can ever get my map properly optimized i'll diff. try that, it would add changeable game play to the map, the ability to moving/opening barricades

8. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

dynamicly spawned car wrecks would be an uber awesome map.

this MUST be done and i'm sure it CAN be. plz flounder, for the love of all that is good. DO IT! i'll gladly host any 'possibly buggy' versions of it to get it working.

9. flounder

flounder Member

Considering how easy it is to spawn prop_multiplayer_physics models in maps, there must be a good reason they aren't used in Empires. My guess is that the map would be all vehicle lag all the time. I will consider doing a release of my map to include these, but don't blame me if it crashes your servers.

10. communism

communism poof

Most likely because if you are hit by the prop you will die, same way a dead tank shell can instagib people
    (hiding behind or ontop car wreckege and a tank bumping it at all will probably kill you)

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If you're hiding behind a car wreck and a TANK hits it should die anyways...

12. flounder

flounder Member

I implemented a version with cars today. Beta 7 cars.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

adding player clips around the cars "could" prevent players gibbing inside the models

if that turns out to be a problem

14. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

and just have the player clips parent to the cars some how

15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'll throw it in rotation and anyone can rtv to it whenever they want.

hope it works! :) thx flounder.

16. flounder

flounder Member

This map is about to be finalized, so speak now or forever hold your peace.

Even if your suggestion is, "redo everything," I may implement it, so don't hesistate to complain. I don't want this to die because of some glaring gameplay issue that I'm not aware of.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is going to sound stupid, but you said anything.
    I think this map would be better if you added quite a bit of extra stuff.

City maps thrive on being complicated mazes, but this map sorta lacks it.
    It could do with some sewers maybe, or the ability to go through buildings and stuff, I know there are a few different paths into buildings, but way more. This way, you have high level combat, ground level combat, and underground combat. It'd make it so awesome, and give infantry such a good use later in the game. It sounds stupid but you said anything lol, and I love maps where I can sneak around and pop up behind enemy lines because they didn't protect all the exits. Streets of Fire is good for this, albeit not good enough, the sewers are mainly BE side which sucks a bit. That and they aren't really sewers, dark underground tunnels where you need your torch but for the occasional flickering light are always fun.

18. Omneh

Omneh Member

Quite honestly, I really do love this map, but I do feel the lighting could be improved... a *little* darker, and quite a bit more contrast between well lit areas and dark areas without making it unplayable would be awesome.

19. flounder

flounder Member

It's tough to make a chaotic map for classic empires gameplay. I can't clutter the roads too much, cause then tanks can't move, and I can't clutter the open fields too much, cause then you can't build. I'm also adverse to the sewer idea, because I feel that it dillutes combat by spreading everyone out too much.

That said, I will look into openning more buildings, probably by adding destruction. And the lighting is hella off for beta 7. I'm going to look into some of my old betas and see what I did. I think beta 1 and 2 had it just right.

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

See if you can get some win statistics for this map. From my personal experience BE wins 3 out of 4 games. This could be coincidence but you should check if its balanced before you make it final.