emp_homeland_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flounder, Sep 30, 2008.

1. flounder

flounder Member

Empires Theme

This is an excellent point. Because I'm a total amateur, I've given this a low priority, but now that I'm getting close to finishing my map, I would like to make it look as professional as possible.

Someone mentioned that the textures clash, which is true. I've looked at streetsoffire, urbanchaos, and glycencity for design ideas, but they mainly depend on duplicating the same building and texture over and over again. Is there some way to make everything match without making it monotonous? Or is that just the way Empires cities go?

Any advice on this concept would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Empires style sucks.
    It is just gray blocks on gray blocks.
    Well, District at least has some looks.

Make a city how you would think is futuristic, but no trills. Simple and effective architecture.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

because it is a BE city that works.

if you change the plot and start locals to a NF city you can do what ever you want due to a lack of precedent.

4. flounder

flounder Member

Map update today! It's in the original post.

5. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I don't think you intendend this, but, it looks like a once great city is now run-down and dingy. Very...Jekotian.

I kinda like the look of it, but, it uses too many of the HL2 default textures.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

My map gets no love?
    /cry

So, yeah the map looks good. BUT IS IT FUN?

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Looks nice, definitely going somewhere now. About the light levels though, the ambient light doesnt seem to match the skybox, make sure you sort that before spending a lot of time on your other direct lights.

8. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i think it looks fun to play, but kylegar is right. Right now it looks a little too much like a css level, swap a few textures and it'll be sexy.

9. flounder

flounder Member

Update

Major update today.

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

11. Omneh

Omneh Member

Napalm's server... oh, wait, EMPIRES 4 ALL server ran it yesterday, and it was well recieved, although the server crashed (nothing to do with the map) a few minutes later, so I can't comment on gameplay.

Issues that did spring to mind however are the lighting - it looks a little too close to fullbright at the moment, and I would suggest making the ambient levels a LOT lower. The map would be darker yes, but you've got enough spotlights and other light sources to make up for it. At the moment, it just looks a little strange.
    Early evening esque light perhaps, especially since the map uses a lot of stock HL2 textures, and HL2 was predominately set in the evening.

I would also suggest placing a lot more clutter around the map, and trees, (the orex tree would probably look best) just to make it look a little more... natural. The water in the harbour needs the texture size increasing, and as the pretty obvious seams between one block of water and the next need removing.

Otherwise, it is a very, very good map... and for a first map, bloody incredible. Nice job. :)

12. flounder

flounder Member

Good to hear that it's in circulation a bit. Hope more people get a chance to play around with it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, Omni. I'm putting everyone's feedback to good use and working on beta 2 every day. I think you're right about the ambient lighting - I always pictured the map to be set in early dawn. I'll find a HL2 single player map with the lightstyle I want and see if the sdk has a vmf for it so I can copy.

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

also when you do your 3dskybox, get the right one so it suits THAT time of day. (dawn etc)

14. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Nice! Now put it on the Training Server or Nachos!

15. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Err, wait, the download worked and I put it into my Empires folder, and I got everything where it should be, but somehow it's not showing up... I'm going to re-download it.
    EDIT: The map file is incorrectly named; it's not a .bsp, but when I change it to a .bsp file, the game says it's not a valid .bsp file! HELP!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Did you put it in Empires/maps or just empires?
    And what file is it you're changing to .bsp?

17. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

There's no .bsp AFAIK so I changed a .bsp.something file to a .bsp and it was invalid. It showed up, but it was invalid. And yes, I put it into the maps folder.
    EDIT: It's a .bz2, a file I don't know how to open. So, how do I open it?
    EDIT 2: I was able to open it with GCFScape, but can the file be extracted and included in the download?
    EDIT 3: OFC, being the first release, it has a few glitches, and two of the three things I didn't like raised questions.
    1. The broken down truck near the NF spawn point has its lights on and its motor is running, while missing three wheels. That raises questions...
    2. The doors at this one point near the middle of the map will open if touched! And that raises even more questions.
    3. The entire map seems to be slightly bumpy, especially at the beginning, when you first spawn.
    EDIT 4: Forgot the image!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Hey man, .bz2 files can be extracted useing the program 7zip. just google for it, pretty easy to find and use.

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Hm, now what doesn't make sense is how you converted my model so that it would work on Empires 2.1... because there's only two compiling modes for ol' studiomdl so... how did you do it?

20. butter jam

butter jam Member

Looks like a map i can use my hair dryer gun (smg2) to kill some brenodi