emp_cyclopean

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by halbalbador, May 25, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

wow i like the looks of this , it looks like a standard emp map with a lil spice on top

2. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I have a few updated screenshots for everyone.

This screenshot shows off the sun. Also, the brightness has been turned down on the light_environment to about 400. It's much darker and more natural looking.

Here is a problem. As you can see, the map is quite large and makes use of fog and the z clip plane in order to cut off and not render far off areas of the level. Unfortunately, what this means is that a 3D skybox is NOT going to be foggy like the rest of the map. The skybox is simply too small for the fog to cast over its mountains, and even if it was bigger, the mountains would just constantly be masked in fog making them impossible to see anyways.

FUN!

Another shot of the map with a lower brightness level.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

still tad overbright, i would decrese it a bit to keep you from thinking that there is a nuke going off somwhere :o

4. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I turned the brightness down a bit and also made the light color a little less white.

I really want to test this map...:confused:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  5. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

same :(

use megaupload.com
    its pretty good

8. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

About your fog problem: the settings for the skybox are held in the sky_camera entity. Set them identical to your enf_fog_controller settings, and you'll have a seamless transition. You realise that you can alter the colour also? The white looks far too bright for the level of ambient light you now have. Try a much darker grey.

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

I hope we will be able to play this map soon on one of the bigger servers.. It really looks like fun, but I do think it needs some things fixed.

like the bridge... just tested the map and this was the first thing that happened to me in that vehicle-thingie
    [​IMG]

Also some rocks underwater would be cool too.. People will swim a lot on this map and it just looks awfully..

Ow and the glass windows in the buildings should be breakable (especially the ones in the pyramid).. I went rampage on the city with a tank and it just looks very unrealistic... Also some buildings seem to have only one texture?

And as for the bases themselves, only one corner of the walls has a ladder to get on top of them... I think this is going to make it too hard to defend the base...

11. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Thanks alot for testing my map!

I don't quite understand what you don't like about the bridge... do you not like the fact that the jeep can fit in the sidewalk?

I agree that more detail needs to be added to the water. It is just too wide open. Great idea...

As far as the city goes... I know it isnt ultra-detailed, but it simply can't be that way because of the maps sheer size. If all of the windows were breakable, that would entail that the inside of the buildings were functional (there has to be a room behind a broken window) and it simply would take too long and cost too much on resources.

I can see how the bases might be difficult to defend, but at the same time, I can't think of any other map where the players can climb on top of the walls of the base and build turrets.

I am absolutely thrilled that you played the map. Please get back with me on these points and I want everyone to post screenshots of things they don't like so I can improve the map.

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

Well the jeep gets stuck at the bridge very easily. Also a light tank can get stuck nest to the bridge, where the mountain? and the bridge connect... I know you have to be an idiot to drive your tank in there, but when you drive backwards you can't really see anything. A small bump or something just to warn you could be helpful there.

As for the city, I know it takes long to add rooms and ladders and stuff.. I was only saying it makes it all a bit unrealistic and if you have time you should take a second look at the city... The layout is fine, it's just the buildings themselves.

Also it looks a bit weird if you see turrets on one wall, where the base entrances are, but none on any of the other walls...

13. Woody

Woody Member

hmm, the link to megaupload doesnt wanna load, it just hanging... try to get it uploaded to http://empires.m00.de

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

It works fine for me...

15. dizzyone

same here
    put javascript on

ill check the map later today :)

16. Edgar

Edgar Member

Or just send me the map and i ll upload it - edgar@m00.de

17. dizzyone

hey I played it for some time, altho its a very nice map I think it is really low on cover, almost everywhere. The roads dont have any cover at all, making them pray for arty and turrets, you should put some destroyed tanks on em, or whatever, its way too open. Also altho the city looks very nice, there is something very wrong about the way its setup, imho you should leave some space open to build where the buildings are, right now the only thing you can build there is a barracks ontop of that building, which is cool but not very usefull because nothing else fits there. Building on the roads gives you less room for your tanks. THe dam, where I think some infantry battles could occur, has almost no cover for infantry at all. This makes the map really a sniper and turret war, think that wouldnt do much good to the map also your ladders look a bit big [​IMG] and you probly know this but commander mode is reversed atm.

keep up the great work tho.

edit: and I think you should remove one refinery from base, there is already 2 double resnode places and already belongs to the maps with the most refineries.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  18. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to apologize for not replying to the thread for such a long time. I just recently underwent a move from Kansas City to the Ft. Myers, Florida area. We just got the internet up and running and I decided that I would post again.

I see you guys took the liberty of uploading the map for me. Thank you very much. I will continue to work on it and report the progress here.

Oh and by the way, if there are any Empires goons in the Ft. Myers area, let me know...

19. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

[​IMG]

I just think that reflection in the water is 1337. Unfortunately, as you can tell from an earlier and similar screenshot, the FPS has dropped dramatically by about 20 FPS. Damn Source engine...

[​IMG]

Yes, it certainly does look pretty neat without fog.

[​IMG]

This is the image I plan on using to make the minimap.

I have decided against making a 3D skybox (even though I had one made which lined up with the edge of the map...) because I thought that it really only served the commander view and didn't affect gameplay. All the 3D skybox really did was show the player even MORE repetitive texturing and it isn't really that important. I suppose that if it's the only thing keeping this map from going official, then I will add one.

I did, however, take the wonderful advice of making the bases more defendable by adding bridges across the openings (Thanks Caelo). I am really looking forward to playing the map and will finish the minimap either tonight or tommorow and will email it to Krenzo.

Everyone think this color of lighting is good?

EDIT: Due to a sudden moment of clarity, I have decided to add the 3D Skybox again.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  20. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Here is the 3D skybox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's still a work in progress... it's a bit plain, I think. I still need to make the minimap and maybe tweak the lighting a bit but other than that this map is ready to ship. I am thinking of submitting it to some empires servers to test it. Maybe Stormed.de or something?