emp_cyclopean

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by halbalbador, May 25, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Basically every node entity has an output onEnabled and onDisabled, or something like that. Basically you must name your env_smokestack, and use the I/O system to turn it on/off along with the resource point. I'm sure this will be clearer in HornyRabbit's example file.

I haven't noticed this before on any other maps, but was quite frequent. I have no idea what could be causing this, but this is probably a bug in the code rather than your map.

Make two capture points (brush-based entities). Make sure they are relatively small and in an inaccessible place. Set the options so that one starts belonging to Be, and the other NF. Neither should be capturable by either team. They use the other options to assign a set amount of resource to give each owning team per second. Leave the ticket options at 0.

Hope this helps.

2. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

I really like this map apart from the lack of a res node at the start and the fact that servers appear to crash a lot more frequently on this map than anyother ;)

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Looks very nice, good displacement work.

I'll DL it and have a bash.

4. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

You know, Chris, if you plan on testing it with multiple players I would be more than happy to join the server and watch the gameplay ;)

The second version is near complete... I really cant think of much else to do. I'll grab some screenshots for everyone here in a bit to see if the lighting/railing looks good.

5. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

The server looks like it has frozen again on this map, it appears after victory lol
    I really think you need to find a fix

6. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I have those screenshots:

[​IMG]

What do you think of that, JJ45?

[​IMG]

I think I might just have to go with dusk... heh

[​IMG]

As for the resources... they disappear now which is great thank you Horny Rabbit.

[​IMG]

No more tank crashes!

... Unfortunately, there does seem to be crashing in the Empires Custom Map Testserver. It didn't crash on Stormed #2, though, and it seemed to run for a couple of hours just fine.

If it crashes on other servers, then I think I should maybe delete the clouds above the water. I figure that might have something to do with it?

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

WOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

This map is more than only amazing, i want to play a 32 vs 32 on this map ^^.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Oh I can't host it, Steam hates my wireless network.

I just wanted to play it.

I have to say the city is excellent, the fact that you can hide in buildings makes it extremely fun to play in and the asymmetry of the map gives the feeling of war on an epic scale across multiple terrain types.

If you can fix the annoying scroll bug and the resources still spewing even after capping it will definatly be one of the best maps around.

If you could add more to it in the form of perhaps an underground tunnel network (seeing as the dam is supposed to be a sewer system too) it would expand the theaters of combat further and also fit in with the fact that this map appears to have a bunch of features that make infantry combat a lot more pivotal.

Maybe make some more interiors for the buildings too in the city.

Other than that the map is perfect.

Very nice work.

9. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I say make the roof of buildings more accessible. It makes combat far more 3 dimensional and intelligent...

-Sheepe

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Especially seeing as empires uses directional armor.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

1. I have added railing so tanks don't get stuck in the sidewalk

hmm... that was what I tried to explain :S (only in my example it was a jeep)

It's nice you fixed that one.

12. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

[​IMG]

It's like it was meant to be...

13. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Hey guys...

I just wanted to let you know that I have been tweaking little things about the map, namely the func_smokevolumes above the lake, in order to attempt to stop the map from crashing on the Empires Testserver. I'm pretty sure it only crashes on the testserver, but the only way to be sure is to test it on Stormed a bit more.

The new release is pretty much done, just have to fix a glitch in the 3D skybox and its finished. Unfortunately, I have just been getting my ass kicked at work recently, and am working a double today, but I will try and release it sometime tonight so testing can resume next week.

GO EMPIRES :cool:

14. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

got to play rc1 on stormed #2 a bit ago... must say nice work, some rough ground but none the less was great, although it seamed like there was no cubemaps done on it? or maybe none were generated ingame before distrubution.. well anyway it was good til our com sueicided

15. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Hey everyone, the new version of cyclopean is out!

-Resource nodes now dissappear
    -Updated minimap
    -Added railings to the bridges
    -Changed theme to dusk
    -Tweaked some of the terrain
    -Buildings/Dam no longer dissappear when far away
    -Placed clip brush behind the bases

SO DOWNLOAD IT:

http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/halbalbador/emp_cyclopean_rc2.rar

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  16. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

very fun :D

Didn't crash either this time. Shame the server still sems to have a download problem though as only 2 people were playing lol

17. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I tried to join today on the Test server, but for some reason or another I didn't have the map that was on the rotation(I tried to download them beforehand) and the download didn't work.

18. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Yes, I played on the Test server earlier today (by myself) and simply stood there for a couple of hours to see if it would make it crash. Sure enough, it didn't, which makes me extremely happy. The only thing that I did to fix the crashing (not noted in the changes above) is:

The smoke above the lake was composed of several func_smokevolume brushes. I simply redesigned them to be one very large brush, which seems to have fixed the crashing.

MAY THE JEEP RACES CONTINUE IN THE SETTING SUN

19. Edgar

Edgar Member

The previous download problems have been fixed, the download is working.

But i have no idea, why the minimap doesn't show up correct...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this map is SEX

it keeps getting better and better.