emp_cyclopean

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by halbalbador, May 25, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That skybox makes it 100x better.

2. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I need some help on this one:

[​IMG]

As you can see, my problem is that the mountains around the border of the map dissappear at the Z clipping plane of 16,000, yet the 3D skybox does NOT dissappear. I have looked around and can't find a solution to this problem.

PLEASE HELP! This is the last thing I need to do before this map is complete.

Thanks guys...

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

You need to duplicate your basic level terrain in the skybox. Up the texture size so that it doesn't use much resources, and you should be good to go. Don't worry about it showing through the level: the world will always be drawn in front of the skybox, regardless of their relative distances from the player.

4. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

5. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Pretty cool map although the sun is kinda blinding and thar bridge is a bit of a death trap for tanks with the little trenchs at the sides...although I did have great fun ramming jj45s com tanks the edge one time for a spectacular fall, where it landed on the hill rolled down and drowned in the water :)

Although that was more of a destruction derby map than anything lol

6. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I think you should add railing on the bridge, between the road and the pavement. How about changing the daytime to a dark-orange dusk? I think it would fit better and bring more variation among Empires maps. Add more ambience sounds. Add skyscrapers in the 3D-skybox, around where the city is.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  7. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

WOW! I had a blast playing cyclopean with like, what was it, ten people? The races were hillarious as well.

Unfortunately it only lasted about 15 minutes and the server crashed. Is it the map thats making the server crash? Any thoughts?

Also, it would be great if everyone could please post ideas for the map.. So far I have railings so the jeeps dont get stuck on the bridges... etc

8. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I think it owned. Also, we had 12 players... And that map was played for about an hour. We had jeep chases and later the game was serious battle, but that didn't go on for more then 5 minutes when the server crashed.

I think this definetely needs to be an official map.

9. Edgar

Edgar Member

The server just crash on this map (never on any of the other customs). It just get "stuck"...
    There were no error message in the console or logs.

10. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

hmm... we just got done playing it on Stormed.de for about an hour... it didn't crash there so I am thinking maybe it's NOT the map... just the server when it plays the map. I am not sure though. Anyways, I am working on the second version now.. found alot of bugs today.

11. thelonetaco

thelonetaco Member

From the screenshots it looks like you have made an amazing map. I really like the asymetry that your and jj45's proposed map have...really makes the game more dynamic and interesting.

12. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Hey everyone... thanks for the compliments and thanks for the suggestions.

So far, for the second release, I have done a few things:

1. I have added railing so tanks don't get stuck in the sidewalk

2. I have added clip behind the bases, meaning that people can climb the mountains still and get pretty close to the bases, but when they reach the wall they cannot go any further and will have to shoot into your base from outside of your wall.

3. I have tweaked the lighting just a tad.

I had a blast playing it the other day... anyone else have any more suggestions?

13. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Please have one of the refineries built to start with, if you blow more than 400 res at the beginning by mistake, you are screwed for the rest of the game.
    Also, the command mode is messed up for me. It either scrolls really slowly, or the directions are reversed.
    Sometimes all the buildings dissapear if I am driving around in the com vehicle too.

14. jouwmakker

jouwmakker Member

ive did this map a while ago on a server (yaay XD)

its really cool but its pretty hard 2 get a hold on the enemy base (like always) except if u build artys (they own pretty much always)

the dam looks cool and that small city is also cool but its waay to open to have a real city fight and thats pretty bad :(

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I don't know if this was addressed or how large a priority it is, or whether or not it is intentional-- once your jeep is stuck in the lowered area on the side of the highways, the path is too narrow for the player to exit the jeep. You have to drive out of the sidewalk area next to the highway to leave the vehicle. Sometimes the sidewalk is blocked, forcing you to suicide to escape. Railings should prevent the problem from occuring, but once stuck in that area...

Other than that, the map is awesome. Simply awesome. I love the city in the SE corner-- and that pyramid? Gorgeous!

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Had that same problem, it even carried over at times into Slaughtered...

-Sheepe

17. Woody

Woody Member

yeah also get this, only happens on this map

but if u zoom out the directions go back to normal but still scrolls slowly and if u zoom back in the directions go back to reversed :rolleyes:

18. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

the farther you zoom out, the faster it scrolls... hmmm...

-Sheepe

19. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I have a question for all of you genius empires mapping wizards out there...

How did you official empires mappers pull off the resource nodes disappearing when refineries are placed on them?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Also... as for the scrolling slow/axis reversed thing.. im pretty sure that happens on all maps. Try looking down perpendicular to the ground and then scrolling.

The buildings/turrets/vehicles dissappearing while driving in commander mode has happened to me too. I find that when you get out and get back in it usually fixes everything. Sometimes it happens to me in a tank. I hope thats not some insane bug with my map that no one knows how to fix.

Also, one last question... is there any way to have a fixed amount of resources always coming to both teams whether they have refineries or not? That would be great.

Thanks in advance!

20. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member