Discussion point: Infantry Weapon Overhaul

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Mar 30, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I agree with differing team weapons probably result in people only picking one team. I also agree with making the iron sights more useful.

What I would also like to suggest is finally adding some infantry research to the game, that allow you to modify your gun just like your tank. It would make the combat more interesting and varied, without having to open up gaps between the factions. Think stuff like different sights, flashlights, larger mags, fire mode conversion, higher caliber, motion detector, stuff like that.
    This is supposed to be futuristic after all, so why only be able to mod tanks?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no - also we have (quite useless) flashlights on every class.

other then that, good ideas, lots of model work though - youve set yourself high goals :P

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I try to have design ideas without thinking of the work involved in it. Too many good ideas get scrapped in one's head already just because "it's too much work".

And I would really love to see those, even if I have to model them all myself.
    And yes, I was the least sure about motion detectors.
    But I just had some other ideas: bipods, laser pointers and targeting darts (against vehicles)

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I would be all for having some infantry upgrades throughout games, but the problem is that noone would do that really. Anything that delays kitted tanks is going to loose you the game.
    You could say that you could have a simultaneous research tree for inf, but then you go into " I cant manage 3 things at a time" and "think of the children commanders!" territory. My idea of having normal research grant buffs to inf was shot down a while ago as well.

As for the high recoil model, im not really into it. Ive played some Bf4 over the last 3 months and it has several buffalo kick weapons. Noone of them feel very rewarding to use. They are either unusable due to it, or just annoying to have to constantly balance it. I seriously dont see much skill in holding the recoil. You need to slide the mouse downwards, whoopte-fucking-doo. It also creates a problem how its a constant effect but affects low sensitivity and high sensitivity players diffrently. Low end guys would just be unable to control the kick whereas the high enders could end up shoting the floor instead.

And also it would create the problem when people who have no sense of fair game sportsmanship (and boy do we have a few of those around..) would just make mouse macros and spray and pray anyhow. We had people create and abuse macros before as you know.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well, why not have stuff in the infantry tree that actually improves the ability of infantry to fight vehicles?
    Flakk armor against HE, chem resistance against Bio and so on. Currently it always feels like infantry is always just a means to get to tanks. I'd just love to get that feel of two level combat back. (One of the things Titanfall did pretty well.) Infantry just needs to be more of a threat against vehicles again.

6. flasche

if there ever is infantry research it should get its own research tree seperated from tanks or zoom is right ...

... and we dont want zoom to be right, do we? :D

7. Z100000M

I'd rather die than turn into a nationalist.
    lol

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Zoom confirmed for leftie

Seriously though, weapon attachments should be a thing. Why was buffing infantry stuff when tank research was done shot down? I can't remember anymore.

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I like how before we argued how op the shot pistol was, and now the fucking thing is complete shit since the update.

10. flasche

shit as in its too easy to use - a guaranteed kill based on range? well i cannot disagree - even if maps look wide open, you still can get easily into close-combat by using a jeep or some other vehicle, so idk if it really is a good balancing factor to just say "its only good in close range".

11. Z100000M

Yea, about that , I also felt that I couldnt hit as well as I did before with it, especially anything that wasnt in my face. Before I swear i could nick people from a fair distance, but not anymore.

Did i miss a patch note or something?

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I keep getting killed by shotty pistol, are you just upset at how rusty you've become?

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Didn't read rest of thread cause I'm Paradox.

First of all I feel like BE has an advantage on weapons except on the gren.
    The rifles and smg just feel stronger.
    NF shotgun is way superior compared to tundra falcon bullshit though.

BEHR feels more powerful than nfar imho same for smg1 and 2 for be, even though everything should be the same, its fucking not.

14. BigTeef

What are you talking about?
    The goddamn thing only works if they are right in-front of you now, standing still, with no life.

Vs before it was able to shoot people a couple feet away and instant kill them.

I used this weapon to deal with instant killing pikemen now the damn thing doesn't even kill them like it used to.
    I actually have to put effort into using the weapon now, vs I get speed upgrade and back pedal with pistol 1.

15. flasche

idk maybe this is just attributed to latency? i have the exact perception you had from previous versions now.

16. BigTeef

My ping isn't as crazy compared to other players, I pay good money to make sure it's never me that is lagging.

So having 100 ping to 95 on epic is literately nothing to me.

The shotty pistol was a weapon I used without putting any actual effort in, I point and click with the weapon and people died unless they had health upgrade.
    People defending this broken weapon like playing Exploitpires and not actual Empires.

Now im wondering where are the shotguns?

17. flasche

i guess shotguns (or shotty pistol) will always either feel to strong or weak - at least thats my perception from a whole lot of other games. usually the shotties are quite strong when the game comes out and then gets nerfed to oblivion.

probably attributed to their high damage output with relatively moderate reload times.

18. BigTeef

I don't think the weapon was intentionally nerfed seeing as trickster is an asshole when it comes to weapon balancing.
    I think there is conflicting code and that nerfed the damage.
    (I love you candles, but nf needs protection from pikemen.)

19. flasche

oh also i usually have 1/3rd your ping on epic - something around 30. imo quite a difference, im not much higher then 100 on viper either, yet its very noticeable (especially when driving since its not predicted)

20. Z100000M

I have to agree with this, whenever I fire a be smg it feels more accurate, the same way how nf p1 feels more accurate than the be counterpart. Considering how tey are supposed to be the same, I think it has to do with the fact that the aformentioned weapons dont have much animation sway compared to the others. Be smg1 just fires, while nf smg1 has a recoil animation.

What the fuck are "pikemen"?!