Current commanding strategies

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by conquestor, Nov 30, 2009.

1. conquestor

conquestor Member

Ok, basically I've been playing a while (a few months now), and am trying to learn how to command. However, almost all of the guides are out of date/don't go over specific case scenarios and instead say "Figure it out on your own". This would be fine, except for the fact that since there's only a few active servers, and even on the training server, you get kicked as soon as you ask what you should research. For that reason, I'm going to post how a game went, and hopefully someone can say what would be the proper response. The map was dust storm, for what it's worth.

The game starts, I get people to squad, send them to middle, and a few go to the top. I drop a rax in middle, and tell the engis there to drop an mg or 2. Refs are even with enemy owning ruins, and there's a little bit of downtime, I sout around my com in com view, and since it's clear, I get out of the CV and drop a camera by it (Is this even recommended? People kind of panic as soon as you exit the CV (well probably because I've never really commed)). I drop a VF in main so we can build vehicles if we really need them, but restrict it to prevent jeep rambos (or should I just let people get jeeps if they want and hope they're effective with them?)

For my tech tree I went physics, fission engines, reflective. Still even refs with neither side really pushing, spamming targets, ninjas failed both sides etc. The enemy's going for DU rounds

Now, my question is, in a situation like this (even refs), what next? ME? Tons of vehicles?

*EDIT*

Oh, also, does it pay off to tank with the CV against 2-3~ AFV's? People tend to call griefing but you're not really at risk of dying, and drawing their fire pretty much means your vehicles won't take any damage (and you can repair the CV in a safe spot later).

And lastly, what class skill should you go? I go repair upgrade and switch to scout speed later, but I've been starting to think that if I drive the com to a front line, pop out and drop a lvl 3, it would make a pretty big difference. The CV provides great cover for doing things like that, so it's not really risky For ex: in dust storm, would it make sense to start as repair upgrade at the start, then, during midgame, switch to turret upgrade, and drop one, and stay on turret upgrade? The reason being that most people in a good team seem to have repair upgrade, and if you tell them to get a lvl 3 up real fast using the CV as cover, they can get one up very quickly (Pop out, drop turret, get in, pop out, upgrade turret, get in etc).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Empty

Empty Member

BE
    Open Physics
    Get Reflective
    Get DU or LR CN (if you want to hold the line, DU, if you want good tanks fast, ignore DU and take LR)
    Open Mech
    Get MKIIs
    Go back for Reflective
    Get Meds
    Get Gas Turbing (only if your guys are getting slaughtered because of their engine)
    Go back for fission.
    Get Heavies
    If you still haven't won, grab nukes and rails.

NF
    Basically the same, but you don't get LR cannon, you get nukes and go straight for heavies.

You can also go Chem for MLs, and then physics for reflective + fission

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Never boomtank against anything better than a standard LT/AFV, especially as NF. With BE though you can flip LTs if you know how to drive and use scout speed.

4. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Until you've become a known comm, play it safe, is my advice. I like to play it safe anyway, but there are certain things you're expected to do if you're a vet...and i'm a clanner, so I have to do them.

Empty was right for BE, except he put "go back for reflective" where he meant Extended Range Cannon. BE only need to open Physics and Mechanics, and you shouldn't really deviate from that in the current release. Oh and I get fission engines before opening Mechanics usually, because mech takes 90s anyway - sometimes you need a decent engine. Depends on map size though, and whether you need APC spawns now NoW NOW!

For NF however, I sometimes ask what people want. I don't usually get a good answer, but I wait to see how we do for the first push. I wish bio was still cheap, because otherwise it's just a bit fail...but meh. I go chemistry a fair whack as NF, because although absorbant isn't the best ever, it's cheap, you can get HE MG, you can come back for UML's (which are always good), and I like to take the 1st RPG upgrade for grens on the floor, depending. It makes a subtle difference, and not one I really take a large amount of notice of...but for 300 res and 30s, it's doable.

Don't get mediums. The devs had a good thought about making vehicle research more progressive, but in reality, we all know they just made Mediums useless. MK II's should be considered a failure and removed, or the route to heavies should unlock meds for a low cost in time and res.

When you get heavies, you need to make sure they're outfitted well, which is usually what stops you from pushing...but I find a lot of the time, people get the same technologies at the same time, so actually, it's quite important you use those leadership skills if you have any. Coordinating people and pushing tactics which fit the moment is the only thing you can do in a heavy standoff...really. A long drawn out game will mean either tickets, or a rush/ninja strat that'll slant that slippery slope towards whoever's lucky enough.

If you are new to commanding, and are not a git, remember that everyone on your team is a player too, and they want to be able to play. People will forgive aggressive commanders if they always win, but that hasn't happened that i'm aware of, and it usually leaves a bad taste in their mouths. Also, a quick win is not a great win, but you have to know which maps you have to rush for, and which maps you can linger on.

Lastly, don't get out of the cv unless:

1. You are building a key front line rax that is absolutely essential,
    2. You're in your base building the base (or changing class, etc),
    3. The shit just got real.

------- End of line -------​

Ikalx is an Empires commander that wins about 40% of the time and rages about 5%.

6. Empty

Empty Member

I prefer Mk IIs with ranged cannon, then get your armor then get meds then get your engine.

That way you always have rape tanks, with heat issues of course.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, but people don't...oh wait WHAT? Mediums? are you kidding?...

Holy..

Anyway, people don't appreciate having standard engines much. That's just my observation...and mkII's that can run around are better than statics.

I would only get mediums with BE really, and that's just because I think the tank is awesome. They work, but damn, that's just another step longer to heavies.

8. Empty

Empty Member

A lot of drivers prefer Mediums.
    So I give them mediums.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you say so...i'm not really someone who can reflect upon an awesome track record, however...it does seem like avoiding mediums is the best way to maximise your teams chances.

10. Empty

Empty Member

It really doesn't matter, you can't lose as BE :P

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I prefer to drive decent Medium tanks over Heavy tanks. Mediums "feel" right. They handle well and have good firepower capability. The problem is that Heavies are just "better". I personally would like to see Heavies just scrapped totally. It's not fun when you have invincible tanks against fail infantry, for anyone.

Edit: Oh, fudge. I started another page. Off-topic post is a fail. :unsure:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  12. Demented

Demented Member

If you do, it has nothing to do with your research and everything to do with the stack of incompetent newbs huddling inside the forward barracks. :p

On that note, I find that comming for the skillstacked team to be the most successful com strategy there is.

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I believe at that time you MUST get out of the CV and pose with your team.

Anyways, typically there's a general consensus about what to get next from your team. Get a mic and start talking.

14. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

On the empires learning server (ELC) the players should help you and not vote you out. But there are always some players around, who forget that they are on the learning server. Best thing to handle this is to use a mic and read the chat. A commander should only been voted out on the ELC when he can't place buildings, can't start research (even after other players has explained this) or don't understand english.

When you have no special plan with middle (e.g. ninja attacks) don't send people over there. There is only one refinery and no place for a vehicle factory. Most dangerous at middle is, that you will have soon your whole team there defending it for all costs while the enemy easily is getting all the other refineries. So get ruins first.

QUOTE=conquestor;260636] Refs are even with enemy owning ruins, and there's a little bit of downtime, I sout around my com in com view, and since it's clear, I get out of the CV and drop a camera by it (Is this even recommended? People kind of panic as soon as you exit the CV (well probably because I've never really commed)).[/QUOTE]

Always place a camera as commander in main base. And when you leave the cv for a longer time, then just tell your team why. Good players will come back and help you when you build a radar or vf.

Jeeps are not expensive. Only restrict if your team is a vehicle limit or they waste jeeps too fast. On the ELC it is often a big problem to get people into tanks. You can have done everything perfect at startup phase but when the enemy is attacking with tanks you have to counter with your tanks. So often you have to build them as commander an explain people very often that and how to use them.

Normally first armor then engine (especially on the ELC). On duststorm first engine can also work, because there is very much space to drive. But this will only work if the tank drivers knows how to use a fast engine.

Next action is depending on the resources. If you are very low on resources then don't continue research. More tanks on the field are more important.

Then you can show your skills as commander. Organize and command you team to get as many refineries as possible. Especially give the tank drivers clear orders.
    You can try to confusion your enemy if you send one or two tanks to their main base. If they are good they will destroy some buildings but at least the enemy needs some players to defend main base. In this time often the enemy loses most of the other builds on the map.
    If you have enough resources of course continue research for better weapons and heavy tanks.

BE research:
    Reflective Armor, DU, Fission, Ranged Cannon, Upgraded Chassis, Heavy tanks, Nukes/Rail gun/Coolant Engine

For NF you can start with every tree.

Only research composite armor when you have very many resources.

As commander you should know the trees or have a print out:
    http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Image:Empires224TechTreeIcon.gif

Best thing is to learn from other good commander. If you type !ri at all chat you see the current research.

Be always very carefull if you drive around with your cv. If you have a barracks near it's no problem but else you will mostly loose if you get stucked somewhere.

In 2.24 there is a bug, that the cv will keep scout speed even when you have already switched to engineer. So just choose scout speed and then go back to engineer with repair upgrade. When your base is getting attacked by a scout maybe switch to scout with enhanced senses. And dropping a lvl 3 at front line can help your team but keep in mind that this is very risky.

As commander you normaly research turret upgrade if you need some LVL3 turrets. And if your team needs some cover place an armory, some walls and turrets. This is mostly much faster then driving with your CV to your team.

Some other hints:
    - Always place some turrets at main base
    - Check main base often for scouts (building health)
    - Keep away from water

15. Valiant

Valiant Member

As a venerated sarcastic-ass comm, I offer a few droplets of wisdom from the massive sea of shit learned from playing this game way too much.

1) Chillax

2) Wing it

3) Be flexible

4) Chillax

Getting stressed out at the tiny crap the game throws at you will at worst wear you out quickly, or at best get you into the valhalla of rage comms and be supergacy's primary form of communication. Which is a worthy goal in itself, I suppose.

16. Valiant

Valiant Member

NF meds are better than nf heavies in terms of cost and size. With slight effort from thecomm in terms of targeting, they can kill pretty much anything.
    It is also a hilarious sight to see, which increases their value in my mind.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Used to love mediums...used to love physics, however commanding means I gotta do what's best for the team and not what I like to. I find people want what's familiar so... :/

18. Valiant

Valiant Member

The team doesn't know anything, unless they do.

That is the correct procedure to go about making.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

True. I may try mediums next time. Heaven knows I need something before heavies sometimes.

20. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

I won on money with arty and meds, people were yelling at me the whole time, "WHYD YOU GET MEDS!?!?!? YOU NEVER GET MEDS ON MONEY!!!!", I tried telling them that if I got heavies we would start lacking res but they didn't care and they kept yelling

then we won