Current commanding strategies

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by conquestor, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

Valiants advice is the best. The best comms wing it and get composite bio diesel plasma heavies.

If you win then it's hilarious, if you lose you get to hear the team rage at you. Either way you get to giggle.

Too much preparation leads to number crunchers like Empty, pickled_heretic and SIP who might well win, but have spent way too much time crunching numbers rather than having fun (unless you have fun whilst crunching numbers then it's ok I guess).

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

ironically, due to an exploit, bio diesel plasma heavies (BE) are virtually unbeatable.

and don't put me on the same level as sip and empty.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Exploit?

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'd rather show you ingame than explain it here. people seem to attack it with theorycrafting until they actually try to fight it 1v1 and realize there's not a tank in the game that can beat it in a practical environment.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

They look ghey and useless, and yet...have a tendency to win. Although it may be Brenodi-niche only?

6. conquestor

conquestor Member

I was wondering why I've been see'ing people go plasma recently.

Quck question: When should I get gren research assuming I get uml's?

I mean, should I get it right after (because it's quick), or should I just save the res from getting the upgrades to get another tank out?

Basically, assuming everything's even, is it better to have a tank out, or better grens (which kill tanks)?

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's hard to call. If you feel your guys are on the backfoot or have a little lower res, i'd take it...but it could also make a little edge larger, so it's really down to how you're feeling the situation.

The good thing about that, is if you're unsure, just skip it and come back later. You might not need it at all, or you just might need that extra time/res for heavies.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

You certainly mean that you can shoot both plasma cannons as soon as your heat bar goes down a little bit. And best would be to combine it with a bio ml.
    Don't know in which way a nf heavy tank could counter this.

9. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

If you win, you gotta be all over that shit. I once had people join the other team because they didn't like the way I commanded. We eventually won, and they raged. You gotta show your dominance. ;)

10. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

place barracks
    qq about retards
    give targets
    qq about retards
    place barracks
    qq about retards
    give targets
    qq about retards
    repeat until win/loss

11. Demented

Demented Member

By dodging and not overheating. (Adv. coolant helps!)
    The reason for plasma is because your damage output is substandard since you're waiting for bio diesel to recover from the overheat. However, this doesn't matter so long as you can keep the other guy permanently overheated, or at least close enough to overheated that he can't use his own weapons. If you can't do that, all you've got is a couple of glorified ranged cannons (which still aren't bad...).

From an NF perspective, it's not really better than any other BE tank strat, it's just more on the side of abusively overpowered, rather than innately overpowered.

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

plasma blows advanced coolant away - you'll overheat in 3 volleys instead of 2 for other weapons. waiting for bio diesel lowers your damage potential by 33%, which is a fraction compared to waiting for any other type of engine to cool once you've heated up. as far as dodging goes? LOL NF HEAVY. 'nuff said.

you could concievably build a tank that could consistently kill a dual ranged BE heavy, but there's no practical tank design that can kill a dual plasma bio heavy.

like I said though, i'd rather demonstrate it than argue about it on the forums.

13. Demented

Demented Member

But arguing on the forums is half the fun! Besides, I've already played against a demonstration in-game. I wasn't impressed, though that probably has more to do with the terrible drivers I got to tank against. It at least wasn't noticeably worse than the normal rape.

And I'm also crunching numbers on whether an NF heavy with dual UMLs, a DUMG, and adv. coolant can put out enough damage to kill a BE heavy tank before dual plasma cannons will overheat it.
    Patently absurd!
    Yes.
    Fun?
    Help! Help! I'm wrong in the head and can't get out!!!

14. Empty

Empty Member

I did the numbers for fun, not to learn what the best weapon was.

My results were fairly inconclusive anyway.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I had a game yesterday on canyon where BE was decidedly losing until plasma/bio heavies came out. We were 2 refs down and NF had heavies out 2 minutes before us.

NF was using physics nuke heavies, which are pretty shit against vehicles anyway, but some people seem to believe that nukes are a good counter against plasma, and this game kind of put this to rest. It was seriously a roflstomp. I think we lost 2-3 heavies the whole game, and NF was constantly losing heavy tanks that couldn't escape due to heat.

I think I changed some minds that game. At the beginning, everyone was like, "WTF PLASMA?" but by the end, several people admitted that it was a good idea.

edit: another game, this time on slaughtered. NF had nuke heavies 2 minutes before we had heavies. Once our plasma heavies came out of the VF, we had killed half a dozen heavy tanks and their comm, winning the game in about a minute.

on another note, I just don't understand the obsession with nukes at all. They seem to be a categorically inferior weapon against other tanks, yet everyone rushes them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  16. Demented

Demented Member

NF got physics nuke heavies two minutes before you got plasma/bio heavies?
    They had to have skipped something important. That's terrible!

Nukes are categorically superior against buildings and infantry. It makes it easier to crack a base when you whallop 2 or 3 buildings at a time, or an entire line of turrets and the infantry repairing them (basically, the same thing as arty). It's obviously not much good against tanks except where overheating is concerned. Bio Diesel is THE counter to nukes, no exceptions.

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Nukes are like any other weapon, they are good if you know how to use them. The key is to shoot next to the tank, not at the tank (direct hits do minimal damage, but nearby hits do a lot of damage).

Also, plasma+biodiesel is a good combination, but I still think its not as great as other combos, primarily because of the research time involved. I can get a decent armor+engine+weapon in two research trees (physics or chemistry) before you can get your plasma/bio research. Getting upgraded AFV/LTs faster than the enemy is usually enough to win.

18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

First of all, a direct hit from a nuke does the same as a near hit to a tank. second, it takes 150 seconds to open bio and research bio diesel. gas turbine ALONE takes 150 seconds. Getting bio diesel barely adds any time - in fact, you can have them just as fast as if you were getting fission/reflective afvs.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Nukes have worse DPS than a std cannon, like 1/2 worse, not even considering the long ass reload time. They only make sense if you can hit 5+ tanks at a time with every nuke.

20. Empty

Empty Member

[​IMG]

That's all the DPS of the weapons for comparison.
    It counts reload time.

And yeah, nukes are down in the bottom.