[Considering] Allow Destructable Ammo Boxes With Melee

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by PreDominance, Jan 28, 2010.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

No fancy exploding, no 5-kajillion gibs, just they turn black for a second, then disappear. Takes two melee hits to kill. One with upgraded melee. Kill enemy boxes only, of course.

Pros:
    No more ref blocking

Cons:
    Fucking none, bitch.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Allow me to repeat myself.

Also, I don't think Spawwn is going to look back that far in time.

4. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

If you can only kill ammo boxes with melee, then I say it's logistically perfect.

5. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Exactly, and I thank you. This is a great idea. Credit also to those who came before you, but you are correct in saying I'm not digging through archives of suggestions. I am, however, watching new ones, so repeat old lost ideas if you still think they'd be good... I will make every attempt to address them.

Exploding ammo boxes are an interesting idea, I think maybe giving them a health bar and allowing all (enemy) damage to count against that... so you could snipe it if you chose (but it would have life equal to that of an infantry, so it would take a few shots or rapid fire to explode). If the explosion hurts everyone (friendly and enemy) that could be pretty neat.

Regardless of a boxes ability to explode, enemy boxes should be destroyable. This is going onto the docket.

I will have a writeup of class revamps (all of them) eventually, this fits nicely in the engi revamp. In short I will be proposing adjustements the classes that add depth but some things will cut both ways. An example would be this, you can place an ammo box, but it can be blown up and kill everyone around it.

**Reminder** 2.25 is pretty much feature locked, but there will not be 5 months to wait for the next version from there.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Thanks SS! Cheers to the new dev, as well.

7. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I look forward to you're writeup. It will spawn massive flames, perhaps enough to cause troll-4chan fusion, resulting in the destruction of the thread, and many surrounding discussions. :eek:

Also, I like new, big ideas. As long as they have actually been thought out and aren't stupid. ^^

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

zomg NEW DEV IS ACTIVE!

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Predom, why take all the fun from the idea? shooting a barrel beside an enemy in half life 2 and killing someone with it is fun and hilarious. It's not a complicated idea either.

I think you're just dulling the idea down so that it's more likely it gets implemented, but in code terms it's certainly more code to limit the damage it can take as from only melee, and I'm guessing that adding an explosion wouldn't be hard. Also, it would look better, because we don't have the art assets of broken ammo box gibs, so if there is no explosion, the ammo box just disappears into thin air.

If i were to flesh this out, I'd say:

no need for a health bar, not really sure that'll add anything... if the coder wants to he can but I think it's needless.
    80 - 100 health for a box
    killing an ammo box means that the explosion will damage enemies and yourself, anything else could be used the grief.
    engineers can drop an ammo box every 30 - 45 seconds

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

No visible health bar, and no repairing ammo box.

100 health for a box

Ammo boxes explode upon death, damage to everyone within range.

Ammo boxes only take damage from enemies, so friendly cannot use ammo to grief because they cannot control explosion. Stupid engi placing ammo in exposed place by you is not grief (just bad idea), put wall in front of box and be safe, or get away from box.

No reduction in ammo box spawn timer, but instead start 20 second timer upon death of box. So you wait either default time, or 20 seconds from last boxes death to get new one.

Ammo boxes that vanish due to time limit just disappear.

Possible "spawn protection" on the box, something like 5 seconds so friendlies have at least a chance of covering a freshly placed exposed box. Not sure on this one at all...

Ideas or tweaks?

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

How much will the damage be?
    Will they be affected by grenades?

And, you will make sure that the ammo boxes from the armoury are left untouched right?

12. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Explosion damage needs discussed I suppose... thing is to really put it to numbers I'll need to publish my proposed rifleman revamp so we can talk about nades.

Yes, ammo boxes should be affected by enemy nades, unless I'm missing something (is this a bait question?).

Armory boxes would be different yes.

13. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Will this also extend to mapper placed ammo boxes? If so, you might need to something to distinguish engy-placed and map-placed ammo boxes, else you might get newbs trying to shoot unexplodable ammo boxes.

14. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Great point. I'm thinking only engi placed, map placed could have adverse issues. New skin for engi placed I'd think.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes let's discourage people from getting ammo.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Grens are the only ones with low starting ammo and that's gonna change. If anything this will encourage people to load up on ammo whenever they can.

I think the point is to make people think about where they place it. It will definitely cut back spamming and lone engy tank drivers from being able to just get out and drop ammo during a fight instead of falling back to load up.. It's already bullshit enough as it is with them hopping out and repairing whole sides mid-fight.

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This discourages people from planting boxes on ref points. K? K.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If that were really the case, it would only need to be melee'able. If you're only doing this to fix exploits, then that's all you need. If you're doing this to add content that could possibly be good, but most likely fail horribly, then by all means let's have exploding ammoz...

On the other hand, it does address nadespam that way.

19. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Please elaborate how it will fail. I want the negative because coding it to take it right back out would be a pain.

Also, I have an additional idea for preventing (most) nadespam at involves ammo available within engi dropped boxes... I have many things to write over this weekend, but I will get info out there to you all.

For now, just know that the revamps are not meant to buff classes, but refine their function. Amidst the refinement I hope to achieve a balance between them (although custom scripts may throw a wrench in that part).

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

My only original intention with this thread was to stop ref-blocking. But NOOOOOO, you all had to go and derail me :< :p