commander stuck on own turret emp_coast

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by nick, Dec 28, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I had the same thing with recompiling the BE VF.
    It's the $maxconvexpieces option in the .qc. It defaults to 20. If the mesh you are trying to compile has more convex physics hulls than that, studiomdl is going to take 19 of those and generate the 20th as a single one, that wraps the entire model. You just need to raise the $maxconvexpieces option in the .qc.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Thanks for the tip. I've been having some issues with some other models and maybe that's the fix.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Wait, did Sparty just fix something instead of breaking something?

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Hey, at least he tries to do things. Anyone else besides candles/smithy doing anything? (tuns and bows to our excellent modelers)

5. ImSpartacus

I wish. I just noticed that MLs have a MUCH larger footprint than MGs. Ooops.

So I'm seeing what happens when the wheels get their radius cut in half and they are moved out inside where you'd expect the wheels.

Now they can drive over MLs pretty well, but we'll see what happens. Maybe they can get shrunken a smidge more to fit inside the wheels completely. Idk.

Oh and you can crawl under them completely.

[​IMG]

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I like how this needed so long to fix. Sparty is my hero now.

7. ImSpartacus

To his credit, it was Viroman's idea to drop the axle so you can significantly shrink the s[herical wheel collisions. I think a lot of people never really thought that would work, but it seems to work just fine.

We did have some crashing when Security was (badly) recycling turrets from under the CV, but I have a hunch that they were caused by either the model inconsistency with his client or some compiling error on my part that Smithy would probably be able to fix because Smithy is sorta amazing.

8. ViroMan

um... you really should bring the spheres back in under the com tank so it can pass through 1 slot wall holes and not bump into things it clearly shouldn't. Otherwise it probably won't make it, even though it small enough.

9. ImSpartacus

That's probably a good idea.

They did technically fit between buildings in the config in that previous capture, but you're probably right that they oughta not stick out, even a small amount. I got it to the point where I think they are overlapping the model because you either can or cannot see the wheel collision outline depending on the angle.

Note that since the wheel collisions are so small, you can actually get a wall stuck between two wheels on the same side of the vehicle. So while the vehicle will fit in a "1 wall" gap, if you're off by a smidge, it'll throw you off to the side onto the wall. It's not hard to get off, but it's still not fun.

Oh and players can crouch between the wheels as well, but if the player collides with a wheel, then it jarringly throws them outside of the vehicle's foot print.

I think I'm going to commit the config below to the SVN and let folks test it throughout the week before our typical Friday releases.

[​IMG]

Oh and I'm adding powersliding to wheeled vehicles, including the NFCV. Fuck the police.

10. ViroMan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  11. complete_

complete_ lamer

i really liked those wheels up to about post 65. might want to test it on a couple different maps, to see if theres any unforeseen issues with those small wheels

12. 101010

101010 Member

Another issue seen today [​IMG]

13. ImSpartacus

Fuck me, I'd say that we oughta just remove the damn crates. Repair pads are enough of a pain in the ass to drive up on.

That reminds me, I need to reproduce an issue where the be jeep can't drive onto the nf repair pad at speed. Might have to give it giant front wheels to get over the bump because I know the be jeep has some of the smallest wheels in the game.

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Is the issue that part of the HUD is missing? That the tank is on the crates? Is there any sort of context for this? Is this any more helpful than, say, someone crashing and telling me "I crashed"? I don't know the answer to all of those question, but I do know the answer to the last one is, "Fuck no it isn't."

Who in their right mind posts a picture and thinks that I can any amount of information from it? I can't even tell what the issue you took a screenshot of is!

15. ViroMan

candles... (don't take this wrong) bro, have you slept yet?

16. 101010

101010 Member

Since it's in topic - commander stuck on own turret emp_coast

and I post a pic of a light tank stuck on a repair pad...... I didn't think it needed any explaining.

It's funny but since the issue of vehicles getting stuck is being discussed I have noticed it is a big problem with newer players. / And funny as hell.

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Yes. I got like eight hours or so last night.

Although, I'm listening to "Carry On Wayward Son" on repeat now, so I dunno if it was enough.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yea the small crates and tubes are some of the worst offenders when it comes to collions with buildings. The ones outside the nf rax are pretty annoying too, Be shit is kept within the suports at least, but driving near a nf rax is hazardous.

19. nick

nick Member

removing the actual crates could be a pain. probably best to make the collision mesh without the crates. After all no crate on earth can survive a tank.

The only problem is that someone might hide in the crates :( But then again, someone could always hide behind the crates and have cover from enemy fire also!

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but behind a crate makes more sense than inside one. Just think of scouts with hide, it's already a pain to find the good ones.