commander stuck on own turret emp_coast

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by nick, Dec 28, 2014.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

A good few maps would need a recompile.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Really, i wish we had some more completes around to redo some old maps to remove shitty spots and balance them out more.

3. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Ok so I figured I'd add some input into this. Without a remodel of the NFCV to change it's aesthetics to something similar to BECV I wouldn't expect it to get fixed. Raising the Hull collision by even 1 unit will allow it to drive over walls and turrets with ease (Yes I have tested this...). Some of the things i try to explain below may be wrong but I can only guesstimate without seeing any of the code. He're a few things that you need to know about how vehicles work:

Vehicles in the source engine have 2 types of collision.
    The vehicle hull and the wheels use separate methods. Wheels in empires and the source engine in general are spherical.
    Sounds weird? Here are some visuals for your viewing pleasure:
    NFCV HULL COLLISION
    [​IMG]
    NFCV WHEEL COLLISION
    [​IMG]
    This mess of collisions is why it seems hard to get off turrets when you mount them with vehicles. Wheel collisions can hit stuff but do not block bullets; hence being able to be shot through CV wheels.
    Maybe if a coder added no-build for CV bounds it would fix the issue but from a model perspective its just not an easy fix.

It isn't just the NFCV with wheel issues. Take a look at the NF jeep wheels:
    [​IMG]
    They're a lot wider than you would expect them to be, which is why you sometimes get them bullshit "YOU DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!" moments. Anyway hope this post is helpful, I can't work on any kind of fix because I don't know what would fix it to be perfectly honest!

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Candles, we need you!

[​IMG]

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

maybe make the top of turret and bottom of cv not perfectly flat quads. it will probably still get stuck but get free easier aswell. (-> add a center vertex and push it outwards a little, 2 triangles more will probably not kill performance but maybe fix it?)

also, do wheels collide with turrets?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Smithy

Yes wheels collide with all physics objects to my knowledge. They just don't stop tracers? Not sure entirely.

7. Z100000M

.... Make the hull really low and change the wheels to be really tiny?

8. Smithy

Then instead of bouncing off things you slam into them. Would probably make you get stuck more often on terrain too.

9. ImSpartacus

We should totally put spikes or something on the wheels to communicate how wide they are. :3

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

what happens if you push the wheels inward

11. ImSpartacus

I think you can do that in scripts for handling purposes, but I'm not sure if they affect the wheel collisions.

12. ImSpartacus

Ok, so I'm learning all of the shit that I probably should've known two years ago or whatever.

I just want to know who stopped working on the NF heavy and went, "Yeah, that'll be a good cheap collision for the hatch."

[​IMG]

Now I just need to figure out how to fix it... (erm, it does need fixed, right?)

13. Smithy

Fixed that for you and added to svn. Doubt it really caused any issues since it went unnoticed for so long. FYI it was compiled wrong.

14. ImSpartacus

What was the compile issue?

Also, you're sorta awesome, just so you know.

15. Z100000M

Wasnt hatch something that didnt count for damage if hit? I remember hearing such revelations years ago.

On the other hand, many times i got hit in some imaginary spot in front but took rear damage instead.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Will this fix mortars and rpgs hitting the gren instead of flying off?

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Um... yes I think you can change it. It has to do with my hover jeeps. :P Tell me how to show the collision mesh and I will work out the changes.

18. ImSpartacus

First,

sv_cheats 1
    vcollide_wireframe 1

Secondly,

developer 1
    ent_bbox emp_nf_commander

or ent_bbox emp_imp_commander

or ent_bbox emp_vehicle for literally every other vehicle.

Godspeed.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vehicles_(modeling)#Wheel_Collisions

anyways I showed sparty whats up with my testing.

20. ImSpartacus

After extensive testing, Viroman and I have determined the optimal wheel placement for the NF CV to avoid malicious turrets.

[​IMG]

Despite invasive rehabilitation, it can still return to its home for relaxation.

[​IMG]

But seriously though, it seems like the turreting issue is more or less fixed without completely molesting handling. There's a minor graphical quirk that can hopefully be fixed with a recompiled model, but I can't seem to get it to work even though it just needs a tweaked qc file. I'm probably derping something up. We'll probably release next Friday, so there's time to overcome my derp.

EDIT Nevermind, I did it fgts. I'm still not sure why it wasn't working before, but whatevs.

I think we now have honey badger NFCVs that simply don't care if you turret them. Zero fucks given, wheels 2 small 4 u

[​IMG]

EDITx2 It just dawned on me. You can't build a turret where it would overlap with the vehicle physbox, but you can build them where they would overlap with the wheel collision mesh. I bet it would've been possible to just make those wheel collision meshes a "nobuild" zone in code. Oh well, we hacked it up anyway.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015