Comm Targets Removal Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Headshotmaster, Nov 20, 2010.

?

Do you agree with mootant's absolute removal of commander targets?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

@Comand'zorz' Asz,

mod-mod has been tried before, but the things that people want to change are not easily accomplished without access to the code, which is under an NDA thanks to Steamworks.

You're taking an elective course that involves programming? Which one? Intro to CS? Intro to programming? The stuff that you'll do in the beginning courses is, well, beginning stuff. Granted, it's important, but to work on Empires you'll have to spend a good chunk of time teaching yourself advanced C++, the Source SDK, and acquaint yourself with the Empires codebase.

2. yobbo

yobbo Member

even if you are a solid programmer (*ahem* :D ), getting to know the source development environment and learning the emp code and hacks is essential and would take a fair while.

3. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Wait...Steamworks? NDA? What?
    What types of things does Valve not want disclosed if you want to use Steamworks?
    Also....yeah, that sorta crap. ++ what not. Gonna be a bitch but heh.
    I tend to figure things out through trial and error and am familiar with the Star Wars Battlefront Hacks. Steam is way different of course, but still.

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Probably poorly designed code that can be exploited or something similarly absurd.

Basically ^

The HL2SDK is like nothing you could possibly imagine. The documentation is horrible, and the SDK's public code on which mods are based is a bit of a mess.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

This is so true.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

No NDA require. We removed Steamworks-specific code.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

O great , you guys reversed the result.

still , without comm targeting makes comm job kind of boring.

8. FN198

FN198 Member

mootant's just trying to make the scout good

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This.
    And this.

I wanted mass targets removed. Single target would be nice pro-temp and a better system in the long run. But it's on the cards already, so i'm willing to wait through these fast updates for it.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Can the commander drop cameras? :o

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

You can give single targets. You just have to point close to the enemy. I use them quite often.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, I do...or I would if i'd had time this month, but if you remember targets were removed on buildings before, so that - the most useful feature - isn't in. Clicking on the ground is helpful, but sometimes hard (for me it takes a few clicks).

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Right. Buildings should be selectable directly as target.

14. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Even this would be better than nothing.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

more range for cameras too

16. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Comm cameras for sure.

17. zenarion

zenarion Member

Comm cameras yes please.
    Or listening posts. Something that tells them dumb engineers to start building stuff.
    I am against wallhacks for FPS players. It is bullshit, unintuitive, and unfair.
    What I understand is that most commanders miss targets because it gives them something to do, instead of just sitting in the vehicle being bored.
    God damnit, make some optional stuff for a commander to do, and not game-breakingly-essential such as wallhacking for the team. When I say optional, it's because you shouldn't pull a commander from researching and building, since a lot of new commanders (me included) get overwhelmed by too much stuff to do. Dropping crates with supplies, or cameras would actually be very nice.

I suggest that instead of bringing back a stupid gameplay mechanic for ONE person and breaking the experience for THE REST OF THE TEAM you should look into the suggestion box, see if the commander can do anything else.
    Something else than just being a targets bitch for everyone else.
    You as a commander decide what to do. Infantry go THERE, and kill stuff. How you kill it does not matter to me, nor is it my responsibility to point every enemy to you, and hold your hand as if you, Infantrymen, are retarded babies with weapons.

My vote was "no" to wallhacks. I enjoy surprising people and actually having interesting first-person combat.

18. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

targets dont have to be as strong and spammable as they were, but it would be nice to have something that serves a similar function to help make sure comms remain engaged with the action. I think targets removal was good for empires but bad for communication between comms and teams.

low-fat target substitute plz :P

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i voted no, i do not agree with it as a permanent solution

i do agree with it as a temporary solution, imo comm targets where far worse then the hole left behind from not having comm targets

20. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

commanding is boring for me now, theres no rush anymore, timing and targets gave challange, !RI spamn while building and giving targets was alot of fun. now its soo easy to command its ridiculous. idk.. is this a FPS now or is it still a RTS? and when 3.0 comes out we should update the client file from 2.25 so i dont have to explain how to update anymore.. ok going back to obscurity have fun all.

oh maybe just make the targets expire if they move out of range/15seconds, whatever comes first.