Comm Targets Removal Poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Headshotmaster, Nov 20, 2010.

?

Do you agree with mootant's absolute removal of commander targets?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

comm powers, often requested, never given :cry:

2. Deiform

Deiform Member

Hypocrit!

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I used to like them, but after autospotting got added, I realised how much I hate passive monitoring.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

havn't played in a while but it should just be single target.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Thank you!

I also agree with simon on the single target.. I don't command much but I can see where it would be boring now. I loved giving targets too, maybe we can re open a commander powers thread or something.

6. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

If engineers are doing their jobs (cameras) then the lack of targets is not a huge deal.

Sadly they dont do their jobs, so I would also like to see comm targets return, but heavily nerfed by having a cooldown, targets which disappear over time, fade in and out, can be shaken off by conc nades (hey word I just thought of that now) or being only static targets which do not follow the player.

7. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Deadpool, that is actually a really cool idea. Especially with the conc nades.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not being able to tell people to attack things is kinda stupid.

Not having to give everyone wallhacks constantly is good.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, go make your own mod.

Also, as a reminder: if that vote would have 100% votes for readding multi attack orders for commanders I'd still not readd it. It's not a democracy.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  10. OuNin

OuNin Member

I liked the system right after attack orders were removed, where infantry in a combat area were generally visible on the minimap. Not too fond of the total information blackout. I wish that system was reworked so you could see infantry in your direct visual range or immediate local area on the minimap. Enhanced senses would have to be reworked though.

I suggest that engineer cameras and radars should be buffed, with longer ranges and shorter build times and that the radii of these devices should be visible on the minimap.

That way, there would be little ambiguity behind the effective ranges of detection devices. and i recently played blackops which has a device like this and it shows radii and works like a camera against infantry holy shit

11. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

I mistook you for Dubee for a minute and literally shat so many bricks that I could build myself a new house.

Then I realized you weren't Dubee, and realized that it was more feasible for you to have an awesome idea than say, the LHC creating a black hole in France. Good ideas Deadpool.

In other news, anyone want to buy a house?

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The idea is good as a temporary measure but it isn't a long term fix imo.

13. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

How the fuck did you draw this conclusion?
    ...This is why I (and possibly others) think the dev's are lazy.

Instead of trying something to see if it works, everyone formulates, and predicts things so they can ease themselves out of work.
    We won't know if something is a permanent fix, temp fix, or not a fix until it's gets tested.

Excuses, upon a mountain of excuses.

Besides, complete removal of a system a community of commanders have gotten used to OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS
    is utterly retarded. Instead of polish the system to not be annoying for ground troops, they just up and removed it.
    That is the main complaint.

By the way, the next time someone makes a prediction out of their ass, they are officially designated a cunt.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Keep whining we can't hear you.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Since you posted, you obviously heard something.

I'm bored commanding these days... It's just not much fun anymore...

16. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Refute me, instead of calling me a whiner. Prove me to us that you aren't what we say. When you complain about us whining, but you don't say how it is that we're considered whining, then we think even less of the dev team. Some people make blanket statements, but some don't. When you ignore everything, you hear nothing. And in hearing nothing, you miss actual, intelligent arguements. Deadpool had a great Idea for example.

Call me a whiner, sure. But you whine about us 'whiners', and you and trickster make excuses for not trying features and fixes for well-grounded gameplay mechanics. That, and not to mention that Empty is bipolar and rages with his moderator powers.

To be honest, we love the mod, but we don't like you(and the other devs). You just work on the Mod. You are not the mod.

17. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Does anyone else see where this is going?

18. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yes and it sucks

the mood in this thread in my eyes was perfectly amiable until some shit started flying around. I dont get it, is everyone here a spaz or what?

I guess devs are bothered that those of us who play have ideas?

man I should just stop Im just gonna wind up feeding the flames.

19. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Essentially why everyone else is probably shut up as well.

20. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

As a commandaholic, the lack of target-giving has not bothered me. I was annoyed about the abrupt removal of targets and felt that the 2.26 system was horrible. But I like the more limited mini-map solution and have found the FPS combat more realistic in rear areas. Some incentive for Cameras could be good but I've actually been seeing a lot of them.
    I now spend time with strategy and sometimes I build backup defenses or instruct newbs, yes, but I am not bored.
    If you all can't live without the constant instant gratification of selecting something with a band box while pressing 'a' and hearing a sound, why not play an arcade style game?
    That being said:
    Single Targets on VISIBLE buildings needs to come back and possibly on players need to come back. (or allow COMMANDER to designate a mini-map arrow as target, and if you're feeling code-tastic you could even get Camera diamonds to change colour on targeted infantry)

Another thing:
    How to Kill a Mod:
    Start flaming the community.
    How to not be helpful:
    Flame the devs.

Now, an offer to (potentially) actually help the mod: Can someone point me to a certain Empires mod directory where I can find some code to tinker with, or illustrate the modding set-up (utilities, compiling so I can see changes in things other than balance/interface if necessary) ?
    I have break coming up soon and I am starting an elective course that involves programming, so getting back into a little modding may not be a bad idea.
    I figure I could solve
    this if I just, you know, DO it. [Just do 'at 'e says!]
    Love this mod. Pretty much owns my recreational time. Willing to give back, time permitting.

P.S.
    [HSM FTW]
    If source-mods of this nature of have no/limited uncompiled source code and assets, well, there is a such thing as a mod-mod. I know the Empires community is small, but test it in PUGs and if its good, someones bound to play it...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010