come play

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chrono, Nov 30, 2013.

1. chrono

chrono Member

"maintaining" a group of contacts, sounds redicules. you dont really want any games then i assume.
    theres no effort in telling 40 people via chat to come and play.

for those who arent in the group, use private communication.

now, lets pretend this is a big complex, big effort, and time consuming to do..it still come against how much a person is willing to make it happen.
    i dont see anything wrong with putting a list of people that do not subscribe the group

2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

No. The group is far far far simpler than what you are suggesting. Thus the reason I created it in the first place.

Nobody is going to individually send 80-100+ messages to individuals 3 or 4 times to organise one event. (Except maybe trickster when he feels like it).

Its also very simple. If people are in the group then they are likely to play. If they dont want to play then they can leave the group. Again your idea requires a lot more maintenance.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

what wealthy said.

there are about a million groups already. "emp vets pug" has the most people in it and should be the standard.

Having organised about 10 of these over a few months the easiest way (as in, I'm not spending more than 30 minutes) is to make a few announcements ahead of time and then broadcast an event using that steam group. Everyone gets a pop-up and they need only click a button to join the game (even if it is passworded).

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im sorry im not really involved - but - did you just "propose" that azk does work other people should do themselfs? if you want to play empires its your duty to inform yourself and not someone elses to make you want?
    not talking about you in specific, you did it right, you came and asked people to play - i mean those who cant be arsed to inform themselfs. and if you think its only because they wont come to the forums, why dont you go tell them instead of saying "hey go keep a bunch of people updated"?
    does it really need azk? and if its for his reputation you still can say that azk is involved in creating this (only if he is ofc). its not like youd need permission to tell something anyone could read himself anyway.
    in the long run it might also be the more effective strategy for you too since you want to play. with almost 20 posts per day you seem to have a lot of time anyway

5. chrono

chrono Member

if its very complicated for you, dont do it:) the group is simplar cuz no one wants to expand it. not everyone who wants to play, is in the group. and the word maintenance sounds so redicules. once a week?
    i suggested an idea, if the organization will actually work, people will start playin and further organaizing wont be needed. 100 people - not what i said. i said 40 which not included in group. again takes 5 mins. you probebly spent just now on posting more effort than what sending a chat massage.

my suggestion was the actual idea, not who is goin to do it. its goal is to expand current involved players, not to maintain them.
    50 posts a day does not say howmuch time i have.
    since you have time to read enough of the forum, as you read my 20 posts, you have the same amount of time as i. then again, thats not much
    i can post 100 posts using 25 mins.

a year ago or so, every day there was activity. randomly by time in a day. i want that to come back.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

It may be a little more inactive during the next few weeks due to the number of American players we have that are attending university. Unless I am underestimating this number.

I won't be able to play again until at least the 20th, as I have a final every four days with some presentations in between them. School first, Empires later.

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

You aren't listening to me (or AZK) chrono. The group is simpler. If you don't understand why then go research it. Protip: Theres not a lot of researching involved for how steam groups work.

Also you say 40 people. Thats not going to happen. At any one time probably atleast half those people wont be free, another 5 or 10 probably wont be interested. You need to get in contact with more people than you expect to play.

8. flasche

so rather then suggesting that someone else should do it, do it yourself. if you can do 100 posts in 25minutes (which is undoubtably doable) why dont you inform 100 people which is 2.5 times "no effort" which still is "no effort" ;)

9. chrono

chrono Member

wow! that was a great pro tip!!! well then send an invitation to those to the group? invite them to the group, they will be notified, and players count rises.

because a-z- said he would do something about it , it seemed lie he has some spirit, so i gave a motivated person a suggestion. i didnt say i wouldnt do it. i suggested the idea, not a person...you even quoted me saying it in your last post! this is useless talking here. since the general concept here is "why should we inform others when they shouldinform themselves" then i will just fit myself into this comunity forum's way of thinking. and shut up.

damn right it is.
    and not for me only, for you too

10. flasche

you are welcome.

no but seriously, i didnt mean it bad - its good that there is still people interested in empires, it raises the small chance of a sequel. you simply cant expect others to do stuff you want to happen or im gonna suggest you do the sequel now - go ;)

and theres a huge difference between announcing something to a steamgroup or messaging 40+ people individually (sry it was wealthy who spoke of 80-100people) - especially if on different timezones.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

If i wasnt meant to be busy doing uni work I would so make a Game of Thrones meme.

"Brace Yourselves

Aeroplane season is coming"

12. flasche

no need to be mad, im no part of the official empires at all. and its not the communities way of thinking either anyway, a lot of people did and still do stuff because they want shit do be done.

13. chrono

chrono Member

i posted twice that i dont suggest someone else do it.
    all i want is players to play empires. how can it be so complicated to understand.
    not mad, but disapointed. it is good, though, that you mentioned you didnt meant it bad.
    and i would help a sequel. but im not wanted.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Again, PM Trickster through the forums to get in contact with the devs. The email on the webpage is still not updated.

15. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

The existing steam group has worked well at times. The problem I've seen is when it's over used players start ignoring the notification. Also many pop in, see 5 players and immediately leave. If folks could just hang in for even 15 mins giving others a chance to join, there'd probably be much better games.

Yeah I read a lot, but don't post much. I am part of the steam group. I'll get those notices. My game play time is very slim these days though. I try to check in on saturdays, but for now I won't see many weekdays on steam.

16. chrono

chrono Member

i did. before i posted that

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I was sad today for not many people joined.:( Though yesterday, Friday, was a good example that the steam group works. It didn't fill the server but it went from like 8 players to 20. Enough for a decent game.

18. chrono

chrono Member

i just had a chat at epic server with a player named syndrom (something lie that)
    i informed him everything he needs to know, but then i asked him why he didnt play untill now (gap of a few years).
    at first he said he didnt know why, and then said the real reason why he left it, is because of admins...
    this guy was also VERY very nice.
    he got nostalgic and came back.
    i informed him that there were several admin changes since then, and that the issue has become aware of, and that recent behaviour of community has change torwards welcoming people.
    and told him about empires invites idea which he very liked. was very disapointed about that only saturdays are full. hopefully also joined the group. he will participate in a game deinetly, because he was eager to have a good game.
    the point im trying to make is just the evidence for the behaviour of admins effect upon players counts.
    and also to ask you if i forgot to mention something else you guys think i should have mentioned that will spark him back to play even more.

also - it was a problem for him about saturday gatherings since it is REALLY late at some places on the globe. for me its midnight. for him its past midnight, which is the point of which player count only starts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Ill take this time to plead to am's to join up sooner. No wonder you see no euros, if you join when its 2am for them.

20. chrono

chrono Member

i dont understand your suggestion.

in the timeframe, when the player count STARTS to rise (5+) its already midnight for me. joining sooner would resault in no realgame. (not solving problem)
    and midnight for me, is after midnight for euro.(finland, in this case)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013