Change Squad revive

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ViroMan, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I have lost your train of thought to be honest but I just want to add that being a good player in pubs doesnt make you a good player. The only real way to see if someone is good at the game is to see if hes good in scrims/pugs playing against other people who know the game in and out.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

isnt that two completely different things? a good player in a organised game, unless hes leading, also has to be a good subordinate. in pubs i often dont even recognize a single nick, its hard to guess if people pull opinions out of experience or their ass. in a scrim/pug i can rely on the engi in my squad, in a pub, who knows if he buggers off doing something extremely valueable like building up that unbuilt wallpiece somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
    a valueable scrim player isnt necessarily a highly skilled player (though ofc its ideal) and vice versa a player with exceptional aim might not be able to follow the simplest order and so values close to nothing in a scrim.

the thing though, you dont need mechanics to allow for organized play on a completely different level - its the organisation part which puts it there.

squadrev allows for the game to end within a a couple of seconds. from a pub/cassual-level point of view its not the intention of the skill or it would be called "mass teleport", its an exploit - one with broad acception because people are made to believe it says something about how not-newbish, non-cassual, youd be, an exploit nevertheless. its severely overpowered and helps stacking more then its necessary for organized play to happen.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  3. Paradox

I agree but that doesnt make it different?

4. flasche

the point is that "its not overpowered in oragnized play" is no argument because the two worlds are not compairable in any shape or form. neither is "its not overpowered without organisation at all" since the level of organisation is unforeseeable and stacking is synonymous with empires.
    yes winning is fun. but the cheap victories empires has, i simply cant follow how people get enjoyment out of it. own a team that didnt have a chance in the first place, contain them in a spot and feel super ranking up scores. what wierd, disgusting kind of fun is that?

... but maybe its this "tryhard" versus "try hard" thing from the other thread. maybe its all about bragging and not about the trying. maybe people dont want the challenge and their simple fix is enough for them?

i just try to understand ...

oh and concerning the squadrev thing. i fail to see how its necessary to work that way. if you die so far off that a teleport across the map is the only way, well you deserved to use up the ticket, thats what tickets are for. players are supposed to stay at the frontlines not trying to win by themselfs. squadrev is intended to revive a squad fallen in battle not to work as method to get by the enemy. the only thing it works this way is because the kill command is necessary for situations where unstuck doesnt work.

edit:
    but tbh i guess i argue just to distract myself from not doing what im supposed to do. not that i wouldnt be of that opinion, but have your game the way you want it, it isnt really of my concern anymore. implement rainbow death lasers for all i care.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  5. OuNin

OuNin Member

a squad revive ninja being successful relies on so many factors such that it isn't OP and people are just being weenie reactionaries

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

To be honest I think it's just a real problem against newer players who play either against a commander who plays the game like a traditional rts which doesn't work at all for obvious reasons, or against a team that don't listen to the commander. I've seen a few ninjas successfully happen against me and most of the time I died because I couldn't convince anyone on my team ninjas were happening. I've seen it happen to other commanders too, they die right next to a rax and worse of all their team goes and blames the commander for a loss they could have easily avoided.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You might have a point there.

I try to be a casual player. Sometimes that works. Much of the time, though, there are things that have to be done so we don't lose. Usually that involves building or grenning.I know there's a good team around me when I don't have to do those things. When I can change to rifleman class and go "ooh, so that's what that rifle looks like" lol.

/facepalm

You guys know I didn't say squad rev is overpowered, right? But yes, if you want to get right to it, a lot of people don't do certain things that are almost guaranteed to win the game because there's less joy in it. Look back, we had many versions were apc's were super powerful, and they still are incredibly useful. But we don't apc charge all the time because it's just boring. It sucks to be scrambling in your base or have a game end in 10 minutes.

Squad revive doesn't really work without the teleport. But no one would want it to teleport you to the nearest barracks, would they? That's because the main use of squad revive, in most cases, is about cutting out the middle man, reinforcing right there where you are, and not anything to do with tickets.

Trying to pretend the teleportation isn't the best thing about squad revive is just a lie. Mass teleport is the most awesome part about the skill.

8. Paradox

Honestly the reason why I dont bother with APC rushes is that they dont work because *cue drums* people who suck dont killspawn and you are left with an apc with 3 people.

APC rushes only work if you have a good team.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

APC rushes work if people give a crap more about winning than playing. Or if they have someone commanding them, like HSM, who did.

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Or you have at least one micspammer that is not vilified

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

APC rushes only work if the enemy team is retarded, and yes, that means your team is good.

12. flasche

they dont suck, they just dont play the same game you want to. i tried to explain how pubs and pugs/scrims are 2 worlds. its you desperately trying to drag a pub game to the highly organized level it cannot offer.
    and thats a general perception mismatch within this community. and not only a perception mismatch - theres a high demand for organised play, but no enthusiasm to form clans and have it.

btw im really curious how long it takes till this summer league thing implodes. after 3 rounds its already tense i bet. your best bet probably is that trickster grew up so much in the meanwhile and keeps this pos going.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  13. Paradox

I didnt say they suck.

14. flasche

i even quoted it. its right after the dramatic drumrolling ...
    "people who suck dont killspawn"

15. Paradox

ow I thought u ment apcs lol
    these discussions are getting too long and I have finals , i quit