Balance cv strength against ticket wins.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I do that a lot too. Mostly map related, I just don't have it in me to play certain maps.

2. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Tickets aren't really supposed to be a victory condition; they're just there to put drawn-out games out of their misery.

That said, I think you're missing the intended way games are supposed to play out: A steady war of attrition where people fight over refs and resources until, eventually, one side is unable to defend their CV and loses.

Rushing the enemy to destroy the CV is supposed to be a serious threat (because it's boring if the losing team can't win), but it shouldn't be a dominant strategy to the point where taking and holding refs, destroying enemy spawns and VFs, and so forth become irrelevant. Sneaking or rushing straight to the enemy CV without attacking the enemy base should be a strategy of desperation, not something that dominates the game; as a general rule, suddenly losing / winning out of the blue because of a sudden rush isn't as satisfying as a more complicated game.

(For example, one idea if you want to weaken such strategies might be to give the radar a decently-sized radius -- enough to cover a small base -- that shuts down enemy APC spawning, prevents enemy engineers from dropping walls, and reduces the damage of enemy mines. This would mean that an established base requires more work to crack. Of course, like I said above, there are reasons why you want rushes or ninjas to work sometimes, so I'm not necessarily saying this would be a good idea, just an example.)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Too bad, I like this idea. Though I wonder if the cost of a radar should go up? Or no wait, make it a separate building. Maps don't actually have a whole lot of room to get full bases up and going, so by adding such a building you end up either having it put somewhere that is easy to attack, or imply do with out a building in 1 of your areas. Radius shouldn't be terribly huge though, I feel like 3/4 the size of the starting base areas in cyclo would work.

To be fair, ninja's will work just fine if you did it like this, most of the time scouts with stickys trap the comm, not a turret or wall. At least not at first, but this just means it is more important that engineers be on the scene with revive and ammo. Assuming you only implemented as far as your suggestion takes it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

This is what I want, my suggestion was just a terribly thought out 5 AM up all night shitpost. But what I was complaining about is how I never really see games play out, it's always just "lets go sticky their com lel nextmap gg"