art 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by blizzerd, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Hopefully it's not too similar, under Chris's definition that's plagiarism.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not really, that's not a 3d model.

Modelling something from life = not plagiarism. Copying someone else's model to try and get round useage rights = IP theft.

It's like if I make a shooter with AK47s, it's not plagiarism, but if I duplicate counter strike and start distributing it, valve is gonna be pissed.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the engines are also built into the wings, so the whole "wings are too fat" thing is basically a non-issue imo

i might make them 25% thinner, but thats about the max or the engines will pop out too much

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The whole idea of this, was to look like an Avro Vulcan. Vulcans are the baddest of badass.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

cockpit sucks tho, but i fixed that one i believe

6. Qwert

Qwert Member

Could you post another shot from the front with the engines horizontal again? I think part of what make the wings look odd is how hueg the cargo pod was before you tweaked it.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

8. Qwert

Qwert Member

Hrm... My 2 cents on the wing issue:

There are two things that make the wings look too thick: The root of the wing looks like it's trying to be a blended wing-body like the X45, but they don't blend into the body well or into the wings quickly enough. The other odd thing is that the wingtips look far too thick to be aerodynamic; they should taper into sharper points instead of wedges.

[​IMG]

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

usefull, you get 1up

10. Trickster

Do note that the wings don't need to look thin, because it's a vtol, and it won't really be using the wings for lift.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think either of those have wings which would provide any form of lift whatsoever, but it doesn't matter, because they're mainly for vertical flight.

11. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

The front thrusters are too far back imo, it kinda looks like it would just lift the back end up and flip over. The NF ones work because you could imagine the fans turning without upsetting the center of gravity of the whole ship.

Also, based on the little peek at flying I got the other day, it seems like when piloting a ship, you will be flipping between 90 degree nozzles and 0 degree frequently, as a method of controlling your speed and stuff. With yours, blizzerd, the transition from 0 to 90 would look like it's cheating physics if it doesn't just make it nosedive.

Aesthetically it's pretty nice, using smaller thrusters that look more high tech, but I'd start with moving the front two farther forward, pretty much all the way to where your fuselage narrows, to center the weight more.

Actually that's all I got, it looks pretty good, but move those things forward and then it will at least respect physics :P

edit: man i just realized what the back thrusters do when they rotate, how theyre integrated, thats really cool, you could do something like that with the front ones if they were moved.

:D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Those aren't wings though, this thing is obviously designed to fly with the engines pointing forward, at which point the wings will be providing lift.

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I picture it flying at more of a 45 degree angle with the nose kinda pointing down, so the fans do both the lift and the thrust. :confused:

14. Trickster

I picture it with the front engines vertically down, and the back ones at somewhere between 90 and 45 degrees.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then the plane of the wing will make it gravitate towards the floor.

If you want it to fly like a helicopter you want very small wings because they cause massive drag in any direction but forwards.

The only reason for a big wing is lift, otherwise get rid of the huge air brake.

It's going to look real silly flying like a helicopter with that design.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

vertical drag can be useful, the wings are a way to increase control on the aircraft when at slow speeds, although i initiated with thick wings because i wanted to leave open the addition of a wing held bomb bay + the idea that the turbines are just the smaller part of the total engine

the engines are supposed to go into angle on forward thrust, with the forward engines tiered at vertical trust (why they are so centred) and the hind thrusters for forward trust with improved steering (back, wider out of each other then forward ones)

the wings are more stabilisers then vertical lift providers, although they do provide some vertical lift when moving forward obviously (making for more economic forward flying then vtol hoover, just like the harrier)

i will try to skim down the wings at least 25 % if not 50% depending on how much "roughidness" i lose from doing so (it has to look like somehting that can take a punch, thin wings make it look like it will die from a single small cannon blow while the NF version looks like it will eat cannons for lunch) but i still need to put some work into the wings anyway

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you want to make it look tough, add armor plates to the underside. Either texture of model a few blockyish plates to add toughness.

To be honest I don't think the design is really suited for the role, it's a plane, it's clearly designed to fly in a straight line and not get shot at or land in odd places.

If you wanted something to drop off tanks on the battlefield you should have used a helicopter approach. You cannot fly this thing like a helicopter, it will look completely stupid if this thing is flying through the air with the nose pointed down.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you don't point the nose down it's going to be rather hard to figure out how your engines are positioned.

The benefit of helicopters is that your orientation affects how you move, to move forwards you tilt down, and then you tilt back up to stop, and you can see exactly how you're oriented.

It's going to be kind of hard to fly it without that feedback. All you'll see from the cockpit is things going faster and slower, and it's going to be hard to land it as well as you can't see down.

Even in third person it's going to control kinda weird.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  20. Trickster

It will need to pitch a bit.