Animations of empires

Discussion in 'General' started by SirSnipes, Dec 16, 2008.

1. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

2. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Not bad, but the arms look wrong. The hands point forward which makes it look weird.

Also, I think the feet are not right, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Right now it looks more like he is going up stairs.

Upper body movement is good, head is maybe a little to much movement.

3. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

i was going for something cartooney

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

looks stiff, like he's injured. the arms don't sway like a real person running.

that's not to say it's bad, because it's not.

5. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

all food for thought

6. Megor

Megor Member

Sir Snipes looks like your learning a lot :)

For human movement I always found there to be 3 leads that the human body follows.

The first is for corrept posture and standing up straight. The middle Chest/Stomach of the model is the part that Leads the model.

For a sad or depressed model you want to lead with the head and knees.

For an injured model you want to lead with the Head only.

What I mean by this is if you (as in your person) slouch like your having a bad day and walk around the house your spine will bend to place your head forward and your knees will push slightly more forward than normal to compensate for balance. A person who is standing up straight will jut their chest and stomach, 'pride'.

Watch yourself in the mirror and you will see what I am talking about, and this should help when trying to model complex Human movement, simply because you will know what the 'feel' of the model is.

Good luck and continue with your education!

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

It looks like he is going upstairs because the legs dont straighten, they stay bent throughout the cycle so it looks odd.

You should get reference for the different stages in the cycle, for example:

[​IMG]

Notice the legs straighten when the foot is planted and bend when the foot is off the ground.

Saying you are going for a "cartoony" look is a cop out, if you are animating a cartoon human you still aim to make it look like as human and natural as possible. If you want to improve don't aim for an unrealistic look, try and make it look as real as possible, and if you want to add character then tweak it afterwards to give it personality.

Overall it looks OK but obviously could be improved a lot. You need to do better to observe and replicate the different stages or keyframes that underpin the cycle, if you get that right then it will instantly look more natural and realistic.