Animations of empires

Discussion in 'General' started by SirSnipes, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Guns don't recoil upwards.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

well, the handle serves as a lever pulling the forward most part of the barrel up, axing on the position that the handle is

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes I know, but guns don't recoil upwards, they recoil backwards and the off-centre balance causes them to move in other directions when you resist the backwards motion.

Hence the main motion of a recoiling gun is backwards, then then upwards slightly as you approach the end of the backwards recoil if the point of resistance is significantly below the centre of gravity of the gun. They jolt backwards, then move upwards slightly depending on the gun, they don't fly upwards when you shoot them.

4. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

I agree the guy firing is expecting and compensating for the recoil while firing so the recoil should be slightly slower and deliberate imo...

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

OK heres a tip on getting the feel for a recoil. It's like someone is punching your shoulder. so imagine your geting punched, how does the gun move when your getting hit?

6. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

thankyou fot he generous input guys, iwill apply it on the guns used in my cct,and any new guns in empires(not that theres any new guns :P)

7. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

At about 0.18 minutes examples of recoil on different types of weapons.
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-XJHiShB0&feature=related

At about 33 secs
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0h_Jqp3q4&feature=related

Example of recoil without a stock (auto weapon with no stock)
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=qJsOZ7E7ddE&feature=related

I got a question. If I want to get into rigging and animating models, is there a freeware way to do it where the end results are my intellectual property (that is to say not a free trial version)?

8. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

first off good game no there isnt
    you got blender as freeware and it does shitall for animation
    foranimation youll ahve to fork up some cash for cinema 4d, or maya

orbe like me and get maya, c4d and 3ds

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

valves supported to is XSI Mod Tool. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/XSI
    which is free and although Im not sure if its actually your IP I've yet to come across anything stating remotely otherwise

Also some tutorials.. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:XSI

10. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I thouhgt blender was fine for animation? I've never tried it, and blender's whole method of working takes a bit of getting used to, but you can certainly do rigging and stuff, and it's definitely supported.

If you use XSI mod tool you cannot do renders of your stuff using their nice renderer, and you cannot use your model in anything commericial (uness you become a member of XNA creator's club when you get a lisence letting you use it in XNA games), and they've taken the affordable foundation one off the market for some reason.

But I assume it's still your ip, there are just limits on what you can do with it.

11. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Although blender is reat for animation in general, Im not sure how well or if the existing exporters work at exporting SMDs with animation. Although if you have no luck with the export there is probably a way to export to a format compatible with XSI and then export to an SMD from there.

12. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

blender has next tono compatibility with source :(pity
    but its a great place to start, with high polie modelling

13. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

If it has no compatibility, I would propose its not a great place to start, as other then the most basic concepts, you will have to relearn everything when you switch to a different program.

14. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

15. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

im working on the northeren factions sam siteas we speak, stay tunned

16. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

The model is nice, did you make it?
    The rotation is not very smooth, play with the animation graph, all the lines should basically be straight with no curves, otherwise you end up with it slowing down and speeding up. Which is useful for "natural" physics, however this is a mechanical movement, and therefor should be at a steady speed.

Tho I'm not sure why you are animating a turret, I was pretty sure all you would have to do is rig it, and then the game would handle the rest.

If you wanted to test to make sure that the bones were set up properly, you should just rig up a effector to simulate a target, and move the effector around.

17. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

You can export to xsi in blender and then to source.

18. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

okay well back on topic to the animattions, and ill stick with my C4D 3Dstudio and maya

all more POWERFUL9 not neciserally better(cuz yu pay) but undeniabley more powerful

and yes i did make the model and its is rigged but with C4ds mechanical joint tool instead of bones, much better for mechanical things, and the animation was just for a 360 degree look really

19. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Did you actually get that to work properly? Whenever I tried XSI gave an error on import so it didn't work with any filetype I tried.

Blender would happily export/import its own files but I could never get XSI to import anything.

20. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

meh im not gonna deal with blender:P