$60 for a Game is Too Damn High (not unlike the rent)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 14, 2015.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I wanna know how all of you guys afford these full price games.

2. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

With a god damn job.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Paying anything above 10€ for a game does feel lavish though.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Clearly by not spending anything on their computer.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

It was alright, I'm getting 30fps with normal settings at 1080p.
    Its playable and certainly feels better than it did on the Xbox to me. But for it to really be a step forward I'd need new hardware. Online is fun but I'll probably run through the story mode again because it was alot of fun and if I don't do it now I probably won't later on down the line.

6. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

This is the first full price game I've bought since mgs3. Felt good so be able to save up for a game in a matter of hours.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Games purchases, even big ones, are easy to rationalise; the play time to cost ratio is better than most other forms of entertainment. Think of like the cinema, a good meal, a few beers, concerts/events, sex tourism - they are all expensive by comparison.

8. ImSpartacus

Playing through the backlog of games that you already own is even cheaper.

I still haven't played a deus ex or stalker game, though I've got two of each sitting in my library. I need help, azk. Help me.

[​IMG]

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

It's the perfect strategy. Buy games on sale, and then don't play them. Now, you've always 'got something to play' - the only downside is you won't want to pay for games at full price.

Also, play Deus Ex. Either one, they're basically the same game anyways. (But seriously Deus Ex:HR is the best, and the original dates to before keyboard controls had to make sense. F12 for flashlight? Whyyyy)
    [​IMG]

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

what a shame too bad the other part of the quote doth apply

11. Z100000M

You got a single fact to back that up?

12. 101010

101010 Member

I know what you mean. In the past few years I have bought 3 new games.
    Payday 2,Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 3 Premium expansion. Also some in game purchases on some F2P games. (Guess what I never play anymore)

Yeah there are some new games I would like but real world things come first.
    It kind of comes down to $60 for a game or $60 in my pocket. I guess it's not really the "afford to pay" but more of a how can you all a afford to waist $60 on a game. People bring up the Price/hours you play a game to say it's worth it.
    Think of Half-Life 2 or other source games. About $40 and enjoyment for over 11 years from all the mods. That's definitely worth it. But what are the chances that any other game will last that long besides Halo CE.

$60 for a GTA game is a bit much. GTA 4 online lasted less then a year before the servers was dead. GTA 5 for PC is already about 4 months behind the console release. So how much time do you think it has left before people move on to the next big game released ?

I was really into the hype. Then I watched some friends play it and they sat waiting and waiting for people to join their team to do a mission. They waited about 20 mins then just decided to do other things. That's pretty bad with how many people bought this game that there is that much of a problem getting teams together for missions. Later they tried to do another heist
    They started getting people to join but only trolls / noobs that would blow the mission within 5 mins.

13. ImSpartacus

Muh derail tho

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Alright, so it's proof time.

Lemma 1:
    Superman 64 is often referred to as one of the worst games of all time. It follows that the more similarities with Superman 64, the worse the game is.
    Let supes be a measure of similarity with Superman 64, ranging from 0 to 1, 1 being the case where the game is identical to Superman 64.

There is one major component that can be used to compare Superman 64 and any other game. It is defined as N, the number of rings flown through in the course of the game. In the case of Superman 64, this number is in the hundreds (scientists are incapable of determining exactly how many rings exist, but it is approximated as 300).

There are other factors as well, but these can be shown to be cancelled out in the case of Deus Ex:HR (e.g., number of eye lasers fired. In Deus Ex:HR, you cannot fire eye lasers because of your sunglasses that retract into your face.) This work has been shown and is not a focus of this investigation.

So, supes(Deus Ex:HR) = #rings flown through/# rings flown through in Superman 64 which is approximately # rings flown through/300. Since the number of rings flown through in Deus Ex: HR is 0, Deus Ex has a supes value of 0.

From Lemma 1, a supes value ranges from 1 (the worst game ever made) to 0 (the best game ever made). A supes value of 0 indicates that Deus Ex:HR is in fact the best.

Also, it was an opinion - an exaggerated one at that, not a statement of fact.

In before some wanker comes in and points out everything wrong with the proof. It's a joke, not a real proof. But you can spend your time showing everybody how smart you are, I'm sure that's what everybody is here for anyways.

It was a nice derail. Somebody keeps screwing it up for us all, it's really quite sad. I remember the good old days, where a thread could be titled something like 'A discussion of Nvidia's latest bullhonkey' and the ensuing thread would contain discussion of related topics such as that TV show about people lost on an island.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

But there are many games without rings that you go through, therefore making those games the best games of all time. How can there be multiple best games? That means your function is missing vital variables. Or we can accept that mathematics is an imperfect projection of real world occurrences onto a sequence of numbers, and that what defines something as the best and worst in the actual world and not through mathematics is not just overly complex, but also not digital.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Rejected.
    1 not defined.

17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

That's where the factors that were not listed come in.

I got lazy and didn't want to fabricate a whole equation that included number of times lasers fired from eyes, average number and standard deviation of missions failed due to reasons beyond players control, and how much of the yellow band of the color spectrum that the visuals occupied.

18. Z100000M

Mathematically unlikely

19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Deus x and mass effect are awesome for the price right now.
    I dont usually buy the newest AAA titles, not only because they look too expensive but they are all kinda samey and boring looking.

20. ImSpartacus

Imma be countin muh null sets, amirite?