2.28 infantry battle

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Without reasons, without situations, without justification, it's useless.

Predator told me he died from the NFHR on a map with rolling hills, many times, when they were out of mortar range. What does that tell me?

Well firstly, to die many times, and assuming said riflemen were being successful, it's more than likely an issue with them not losing accuracy after prolonged fire. I can deduce from that that because of the range at which combat is occuring, the base accuracy is probably just too high, as well as the increment being too low. Finally, because of the map emp_dune, which has rolling hills, it's more than likely that the riflemen were prone, as there isn't a lot of cover.

Thus I know that it needs more increment, a lower base accuracy and that I should be mainly concentrating on prone, with a bit on crouched.

suck
    my
    dick

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well actually it IS feedback - not helpful feedback though :P

my observations so far are that people are just dumb, like really dumb. the peashooters and mass comm targets have removed all tactical understanding and they just charge you head on - if you have the bigger gun or not.
    flanking, digging in (walls), waiting for backup, falling back, staying in cover, running from cover to cover - this all dont seem to be viable options to most.
    ofc since there arent different skins/models its hard to tell what class someone is from a distance, but this still doesnt mean you rush up straight to an enemy that could possibly be a rifleman as engineer :rolleyes:

3. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Don't. Riflemen are supposed to kill other infantry. Grens are mainly supposed to kill vehicles. Infantry is always defensive because it is too slow to strike fast, damages vehicles not enough to strike hard and withstands too less damage to hold a position for long without support. (which should be given on defensive, never on offensive postions)
    Giving grens bullet resistance improves their offensive abilities over those of riflemen.

Rules for feedback:
    No vague statements.
    Point out the negative as well as the positive.
    Be concrete, use pictures, logical arguments, examples or whatever helps others to understand what you want to say.

"I DIE TOO OFTEN" definately is no feedback.

I didn't come to test the new version yet, but I am pretty sure that vehicles need to be scaled a little so they do not decrease the drivers lethality vs infantry. Also Grens for sure need buffs since they mainly use non-bullet weapons. The suggested triggerrange and damagearea increase for mines will be needed as well as an improved mortar. Maybe buff the RPG a little more too. (10% faster is not a recognizeable buff)

During the custom script test phase the insane recoil attracted my attention. I dont know if it was fixed, but the second shot from a burst I did barely hit my target as well as my first did on medium distance. I'd like the BEAR to hit at least twice on a not moving target when crouching and bursting 3 shots at it on a distance like from the middle to the tank on district. Maybe you want people to do single shots with every weapon in order to compensate the recoil, but I hope you don't trix.

4. flasche

if you say something to me and i punch you in the face, it'd be feedback too - the rules u just mentioned only apply to usefull feedback when u want to improve something. though a punch in the face shows the statement pretty clear too, its not very productive ^^

but lets stop this pointless discussion, since anyone knows what trickster meant anyway ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Punching me in the face wouldnt be feedbck. It would be the statement to whish to awake in a hospital.

6. flasche

feedback means that information is fed back. a punch in the face would deffinately informative ;)

7. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So I guess suicidal tendencies are feedback.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Boost the moving speeds for everyone except riflemen. You should be able to have time to get to cover after being shot at, currently(specially 50 cal or sniper) will just instantly kill you with out warning. Lone scouts and rifles are harder to counter than heavy tanks. They don't need team work to fucking destroy everyone.

9. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

dont they have a max of 4 clips?

10. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I like Dubee's speed idea, riflemen being vulnerable while moving from place to place makes sense with the way the class is played.

prone-move-prone is a part of the problem, and their accuracy and range is what allows them to do it.

what I want MOST, for balance between the two teams, though, is for someone to take the BE rifle models, and just make the two side bars on the ironsights invisible. I dunno if that's how it's done or what, but what frustrates the hell out of me when using the BE rifles is that your left/right panning/tracking of a target is way more difficult because it's impeded by two fucking bars that are the exact size of the guy you are trying to shoot at range. The way to beat a BE rifle is strafing, whereas NF is all "derpadee doo I got a 'lil circle on you".

Also ironsighting should be way quicker. The animation is really slow. Combined with slowing the rifleman's movement, this would redefine rifleman play. A slow moving player with quick snap ironsighting would make the rifleman able to defend while moving, but remain vulnerable until he gets to cover and prones again. They would still have sprint of course, which would make the speed nerf less debilitating.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Like the new guns, it actualy makes gun hurt people...
    Riflemen actualy do what it is suppose to do, be good at killing.
    I'm hearing a lot of : It is impossible to kill a rifleman with engi anymore etc etc
    YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT? since when is a little dude with a little gun suppose to kill a big dude with a big gun?
    I like it, it creates engies who revive instead of trying to kill riflemen etc.
    Sniper one shot kill, uhm lets say its BLOODY NORMAL?
    Big gun , Big bullet + ur head? hmmm = DEATH ur not suppose to survive that.
    although u should put more sway on them. the stamina thingy is just meh not enough make it decrease more to balance it, or give it more sway in general.
    and give BE pistol 2 less accuracy its stronger then shotty as it is now.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Generally, if you want to be a battle engy, take smg2. If you want to be a more versatile engy, take smg1 and drop cover constantly, and you'll probably manage to do well against riflemen.

Having said that, I may increase the rate of fire for SMG1.

Just so you know, whilst I have said we'll try to reduce the time taken to ironsight, it's an absolute nightmare to do anything with them, so don't expect anything that quickly on it.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

"Dude size" is mostly irrelevant when we're talking about guns. If we were talking swords it would be highly relevant. And really, an mp5 can kill someone almost as easily as a m4a1. That's the point. A rifle has greater stopping power, but that doesn't make it's wielder invulnerable to gunfire, just quicker to kill.

Trickster, I wouldn't really say buff the rof of smg1 tho...it fires fairly fast, just that you get killed fairly fast now too. I was going to add some time back that in 2.12, the nfar took about 10 shots to kill you, it's just that it fired that much in about 2 seconds.

I don't know what's being so damn dangerous these days, but I get hit by things that immediately cut me down in one or two shots, in the blink of an eye. I haven't been very survivable for a long time in empires, but...

I did stand on a proning rifleman with hmg and shoot him 3 times with the pistol 2 and have him kill me in 1 shot.

But then I can't give you feedback because my performance is so low. It's entirely possible that I get three bullets looking like they've hit me at once, with the lag spikes that seem to happen frequently on my machine now.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

for some reason it came to my attention while reading over this thread that i had to post this about infantry combat as it has returned to be:

the time in which a weapon takes to kill you is very short, however, the time in which you have to kill your enemies is also as brief. in the past, targets aided in the guiding of your hand from enemy to enemy. now one must focus and with god's aid guide their crosshairs with hermetic speed from pattern to pattern, synchronizing the pings and the sounds and flashes of light together in order to time the dispatches of each enemy in an effort to cut down the time needed to initiate the reflex to reposition the crosshair onto the next enemy. upon the first sighting of an enemy, this algorithm must be executed until no further enemies are sighted. a safe position should be taken into consideration at least 200 milliseconds before you know your clip will expire before killing a target currently marked by your deathhand.

/fn-rave

god damn i love not having to dance around people retardedly waiting for them to die as i fill them with bullets

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The real question is... CAN I LOAD SOME FRIENDS INTO A JEEP AND RUN HAVOC?

16. FN198

FN198 Member

The real answer is... ABSOLUTELY, USE BE PISTOL1

17. n00bzor

n00bzor Member

For pisol 2 maybe decrease accuracy a little at range after first shot..
    Maybe dont change rate of fire for smg1 but decrease reload time? As it runs out fairly quickly already..

Pistol2 is good, people are winging but remember brenodi gren has no fucking visability compared to nf. Shotty pistol was always isntant death close range now brenodi have a chance.

18. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Im loving the scripts so far, there are some things to be tweaked but trickster knows what they are

95% good fucking job man

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

these scripts are fucking swell, if i wasnt being a total minecraft junky atm i would play daily (i play once every week for a couple hours now)

20. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Ok, it seems that many of you like the new scripts. Personally I preferred the old ones, because I want a chance to react if I got hit.

When we compare the two directions RTS vs. FPS then the scripts moved Empires a little more into the direction of FPS.
    In RTS games 3 units will always win against 2 identical units while in FPS games one single player can win against many other players if he is skilled enough.

But the majority decides and so I will accept this.
    Now I will try to get a shotgun model for the scout, because I don't want to bunnyhop like an idiot when I build turrets as commander around main base.