[2.25] Rpg

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dubee, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Pistol 2's were made for the anti infantry classes.. It is the last ditch oh shit hes not dead yet weapon. The mowtar should be able to do the job by itself.

Well everyone needs to take cover from a rifleman cause of how accurate and deadly it is but if you get the drop on him with a mowtar and you miss your screwed. He knows where you are and you have only the pistol or RPG to use. Sure there's no guarantee but It's a lot easier to kill with a gun that has as many bullets as an smg. The mowtar is all or nothing. I don't think the grens will get many insta kills out side of district with my suggestion.

People will see the vet's using the mowtar with great success and eventually they will use it too.. It's how people became vets. It may be the hardest weapon to use in empires but its fun to learn how to use it.. And once you do you will be hooked.

But if the one shot kill is stopped by one of the many health skill upgrades or even just being in the engineer squad aura plus the skill it takes him to get a direct hit on a moving target.. I hardly think everyone will all the sudden be only gren.. Rifles will still be easier to kill people with.

It's already one shot to everyone except rifleman. So its already "double the power" to everyone else. If a rifleman stays at a safe distance he can pick off a gren before the shell even travels half way near him. Its not hard to take a step to the left to dodge a giant shell.. Mowtars can be the anti camp/sniper weapon. I honestly do not see how fixing the dig-in bug and nerfing the rifleman's resistance to the shells by 15hp will all of the sudden make him outclass the rifleman in infantry combat...

85 damage on a direct hit is pathetic.. For some reason grens have all this resistance to shells and rifleman have resistance to bullets but also mowtar shells.. They should just have resistance to bullets alone..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A mortar RoF buff is fine. That's certainly an easy an acceptable compromise in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Why? the RPG is an instant kill, my SMG is not a guarenteed instant kill, why whould the mortar also be a guarenteed instant kill?

If you get the drop on him with the RPG and miss you are screwed, even if I hit him with my SMG he can still turn around and kill me with his rifle. If the suggestion is not going to be much use outside of district what benefit will adding it bring?

This is not quite true, people will try the grenadier, find that the mortar is tricky to use and pick another class to play. Very few of the vets play the grenadier to the extent that you do, so examples of this mortar excellence will be few and far between. Personaly I find the mortar an irritating weapon to use, a weapon of necessity as opposed to a weapon of choice. Not everyone will share you views as the mortar being the greatest weapon ever.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Well this happens when several people change code/scripts related to one feature.

Make a list of all such things to change and post it in bugtracker (bugtracker.empiresmod.net)

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

cheeeea

6. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

the mortar can do 120 damage every 4 seconds - resistans.

Mortar damage(DIRECT HIT)

Rifleman:30% resistans -> 84 damage.
    Grenadier:15% resistans ->102 -> damage.
    Scout and Engineer:10% resistans -> 108 damage.

the nf assault rifle:clip size 30, 23 damage/bullet its firing rate is 10 bullets a second
    10*23=230 damage a second -falloff.

the guy you are shoting at is dead before he can react.

even if the mortar gets buffed the rifleman will be better at killing infantry.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Thank you predator.. See how none of the mowtar haters have a response now? And those figures don't factor in the rifleman skills like accuracy upgrade or damage upgrade..

My question to you guys is would you rather have a stronger RPG with less people using it or more grens with a less powerful more accurate RPG? And if you want the gren to be strickley anti-tank shouldn't sticky nades be removed?

The mowtar is the grens main weapon and by far the most fun weapon. It affects the balance of the RPG more than you would think.. I'm going off old versions of emp when tanks were slower and had less powerful armor.. So upped guidance and speed helps that issue.. And then the rifleman's body armor and rifle damage and accuracy buffs would mean that the mowtar SHOULD get a buff too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually I was just busy playing.

It doesn't matter if the rifleman is better, if the grenadier is good at infantry and packs the best anti-tank weapon, what's the point in riflemen? A minor improvement against infantry compared to lots of power against tanks and infantry.

The mortar is not difficult to use, it doesn't need more damage and balancing it against 'skill' is stupid.

9. communism

communism poof

if the rifleman is good at anti-tank and packs the best anti-infantry weapon, what's the point in grenadier?

10. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

NO ONES ASKING FOR IT TO BE THE BEST INFANTRY WEAPON!

dont expect me to respond for a while, i will be busy playing

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The RPG is not the best anti-tank weapon.. Tanks are the best anti-tank weapon.. I just want the rpg's speed and accuracy to be upped to balance with the tank armor and speed buffs.

The gren was balanced fine in older versions but these rifleman and tank buffs I think make them infective.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The rifleman isn't good at anti-tank, his AT weapon only works if the tank is right next to him, it's essentially melee for tanks. The grenadier is to recieve a general purpose AT weapon, and by definition if the RPG isn't the best anti tank weapon, the grenadier is somewhat useless.

Tanks are not infantry, arguing that infantry balance is fine because tanks are better makes no sense.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Can you remember the values from the older version?

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just DL 2.12 - also its the armor values that where upped makeing the RPG so useless ...

15. o_O

o_O Member

Stickies are melee only but they actually DESTROY the damn things. Rockets just make the tanks go "OW" and drive away, although I guess thats what we are trying to fix here.

Anyway, having the gren be primary anti tank and secondary anti infantry is fun, just like how the rifleman is primary anti infantry and secondary anti tank.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The values of what the gren or the tanks and rifleman? The grens were the same but now tanks have more speed and stronger armor and rifleman got a stronger resistance to the mowtar and more powerful and accurate rifles.

If grens need to use anti-tank weapons then theres gonna be friendly tanks on the field as well. Would you rather balance the game thru district or commander maps?

Think about that. A gren will soften up enemy tanks for his allied tanks and if in great numbers they can also kill that tank alone.. But if you have research upped RPG or just a RPG that gets more damage at some point then those free infantry can kill expensive tanks which I am agianst.. The class is better off with an accurate weak RPG and good a anti inf mowtar so he can survive on the field.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  17. communism

communism poof

People acting like the RPG kills tanks anyways ;p
    Mines and stickies are about the only thing that can kill a half decent tank driver

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you have your own tanks then anti-infantry weapons become even less neccesary, because tanks are excellent anti-infantry units.

Either you give the grenadier a good anti-tank weapon, and he becomes useful against tanks, in which case he doesn't need a better anti-infantry weapon because if you don't have tanks then the mortar is already good enough for defending yourself and the occasional rifleman can cover the rest, or if you do have tanks, anti-infantry units are unneccesary because the tanks kill them all when they don't have other tanks to contend with. Or alternatively you don't give it a good anti-tank weapon in which case feel free to make a functional duplicate of the rifleman using silly weapons.

If you give the grenadier a good AT weapon and a better anti-infantry weapon then riflemen become useless on all but district, becuase you now have a class that, when massed, can fire dozens of one shot kill mortar rounds and dozens of tank-damaging highly-accurate rockets, even if they don't actually kill anything they still do far more damage than any other infantry gun does to a tank. And not for the millionth time sticky bombs do not work because you have to get right next to the tank to use them and the only reason a tank is going to go that close to you is if it's driving around your base, in which case you've already lost.

I am trying to balance for classic where anti-tank firepower wins games while anti-infantry firepower is more or less busy noise outside of the first five minutes. Lots of people do it but it really has little impact on the course of the game unless you end up in ticket wars.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Your highly overstating the effectiveness of the mowtar.. There's no way people will stop using long range rifles that do 230 damage a second(not including damage upgrade) with direct bullets that travel faster than you can see to use a weapon with a slow moving indirect shell that does 100 damage if its a direct hit every 4 seconds to kill people. Specially on the wide open classic maps.. All those grens that you say will dominate on a classic map will get sniped before they can get close enough for the mowtar to reach a rifleman.

Mines and the RPG combined make him the good anti tank class you think he should be and that's not including arty strikes. If you give him a stronger RPG and shitty mowtar like he has now no one will use that class until the match is over and tanks are swarming the last barracks.

If your skilled you wont take a mowtar shell to the face or a sticky to the tank..

20. o_O

o_O Member

Grens are never going to be very good against tanks, because 1) that would make tanks pointless and 2) grens can't chase them. If they suck at killing infantry too, then basically you end up with a support class designed to deploy mines, and assist friendly tanks. Thats a perfectly legitimate role and fits with gameplay, but it would be alot more fun to have the gren be a secondary combat class thats clearly less good vs infantry then the rifleman, but more flexible.

Anyway, effectively the mortar has more falloff and inaccuracy then any other weapon, even though it has 0. At rifle range the target can see it coming and run a different direction, getting hit by a little splash at most as long as they pay attention.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.