2.13.1 Testing Thread - Changelog inside

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Thexa4, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You don't play for it, it helps you to stay, in the long run.

Empires does not record anything at all, except for XXX hrs in record.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

while i dont want to deny that some sure have left because of decisions that have been made, i also believe its mainly "people just moved on".
    i mean its a 10 year old mod, the fact its still played regularily is a huge success already.

Kidpaler likes this.
  3. complete_

complete_ lamer

cant think of a single person that quit because empires wasnt going to be a big e-sports club. empires has always had a small population (~500) and that alone weeds out those people from even installing the game. people dont play for fame, they play for fun
    i dont know why it seems like you have a very negative opinion of the people that play this game
    they've definitely moved on, but for what reason? you ask those same people about empires and they say its one of their favorite games of all time. i just think its weird that these same people dont ever come back even though we still have a population (the few ive messaged over the years, they say its because "they fucked everything up")

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I did not mean that.
    I am talking about some sort of "footage record".

"Empires is literally the game that, when you close it, everything you did is a fart in the air."

I legitmately can't come up with a game, that, every time when you start the game, your face is the same as a random newb who just installed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. flasche

@complete_ sounds more like an excuse to me. how would they even know the state of the game?
    also what is so super different, i bet they wouldnt even be able to tell.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

it doesnt have to do with changes. like i said, the bad changes are usually reverted. its how they're treated like their opinions are shit and theres only one correct idea
    pickled_heretic (remember that guy) left instantly because the dev team said they were no longer going to make script_manifest. he didnt come back even though the developers became much more open later
    other people left during spartacus' run. all those changes were reverted by candles but yet, they havent come back.
    didnt zoom leave because of recent changes?
    if you're talking like ranks and stats. isnt that whole thing a very recent addition and fad to games? people were fine with being the same as everyone, just as they are now.
    didnt that whole thing start with team fortress 2 and their hat update? wasnt that stuff met with huge opposition at first?

im sure they'll be a time again when games with no personalisation are seen as the "cool" thing to do

7. flasche

so what? halt development because you can never please all? revert to source2007 and empires 2.12, because thats some glorified golden time that will never come back anyway?

there will always be the risk to displease someone. and honestly empires didnt change that much over the years. its not like it now is a completely different game from what it was 10 years ago. people were different, thats all.

also even tho i have been told id be against change by principle (which is absurd), some in the empires crowd are among the most neophobic guys i came across in my entire life.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont know how many times i have to say it doesnt really have to do with changes....

9. flasche

yes you said that - but if people think they are entitled to get their will and throw a fit and disappear because they dont get it, it damn well has to do with changes.
    mootant aside*, i cant recall many devs calling people names. i can well remember many of those who left with a lot of drama to though.

but i might have a bad memory of that because i never was a target? (or maybe i was just to dense to get it idk)

and as i said before, i do believe the above mentioned are not a majority. for the rest life just moved on and even those that now say "blabla game is shit, devs are shit, people are shit, shit is shit", its really an excuse (for you, for themselfs, god only knows). ultimatively empires is an old game that barely keeps up with modern standards - yet its unique and thats what keeps it alive.
    but peoples taste change, the games we play change, our needs change, the audience changes, if one thing is constant its change. also we will never reach the golden times we remember (mainly because they never were as golden as they appear in our memories)

edit:
    *yeah well and security, sry to say, but he also always leaves me with the impression that he thinks we all are retarded and at best shutup because only he knows how this game plays best.
    on the other hand i dont think his scripts are bad. so maybe thats why i cut him some slack?
    or maybe i just grew to accustomed to all that and dont take it overly serious anymore? idk really.
    or maybe its just stockholm syndrome?

also sry complete_ i didnt mean to pick a fight with your and i sure fought a bit of a strawman. dont hold it against me, its late.

and i also didnt mean to say those people i refered to in the first sentence would be assholes or smthg - i mean now rereading it, it kinda sounds like i would.
    its just, well i dont know, someone remind me, why cant we just get along?
    it takes two to tango (have i said i like that idiom? because i really do). those who dont get heared because reasons, and those who dont listen because reasons.
    its not always so one sided (infact it rarely is), even when we are good friends with those not heard, or those not listening.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I said this for many times, script balance is NOT GUI or tutorial.
    You don't listen to newbs about how to do it right.

Not all of you are retarded but most of you actually don't know better.
    It's pretty self-evident, I had to fix quite a few serious balancing problems that's been there for literally 10, fucking, years.

If you guys got your Ph.D at Empires balancing then why did the shit stay like a mess for a decade?

Just look at the classic question every single vet askes when they come back : "What's the best armor now?"

Should I remind you just how pathetic it is, that in any RTS game, you ask for a best path? And what's the worst thing about that? We actually had a best path.

It also annoyed me that some people were "talking down" to me like they "for sure" know better and it's just you know, their time is more valuable so they decided to not do the scripts themselves and just want to remote-control the game development.

Actually "annoyed" is a conservative word, I should say, it's fucking disgusting.

11. flasche

see, i didnt mean to question your competence, just the communication skills you show from time to time.
    you also are right, i usually dont crunch numbers, i judge stuff by how it feels to me when i use it.
    so in that respect, i really dont know better. when i give opinions it never is "add 2 damage here", its only along the lines of "it feels weak".
    how you phrase that into numbers, thats your job and i am grateful that you do that - id be honestly bored by it.
    its also ok for me if you dont listen to my input, its not my game, as far as it concerns me, its our game, as the game is nothing without either devs or playerbase.

so please dont take it as offensive or an attempt to remove you as scripter.
    not meant as either one.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You actually got me to read my previous threads about script changes.

I think you guys should read them as well and observe my terrible communication skills.

People totally didn't charge me for things I didn't do, resort with ad honimem or simply read things wrong and were too shy to admit their mistakes afterward.

I mean, you guys are wonderful at communicating and I am totally alone on the other side.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You should mention your killer ability to personally ask people if you should step down as a dev or not based on their criticical behavior towards your changes. I think thats a milestone aswell.

Doubt anyone has ever done that before to win an argument.

#SecurityCantHandleLosingArguments

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No, I actually didn't do that to win arguments.
    I did that to see if you actually fucking hate me doing the job or not, simple as that.

Also, Paradox, come on.
    Claiming that "someone can't handle losing an argument" without people objectively telling you that you are the winner, is actually the prime example of "can't handle losing arguments", because you can't even stand with the fact that you are probably not the winner.

It's convenient to just say your opponent can't handle losing when you are not really winning, it makes you feel like you are winning.

EDIT : I don't hate you tho, I mean from time to time we get angry but if we meet IRL I'd still shake your hands.

15. Paradox

Im not even slightly involved in this debate you are having. Im just pointing out what I see.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The message was for you, no one else.

You were the only one who I specifically asked the "question" privately, I didn't do that to everyone who disagreed with me, so consider yourself special.

I know you probably assumed I asked multiple people that question, but no I didn't.

17. Paradox

You asked hexi aswel when he publicly critisized you

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"privately"
    I think I asked Hexi publicly.

I mean that's how you know about that, unless I actually forgot and Hexi told you that.

EDIT : I did not ask questions like that to "win arguments", when I ask someone that question, it means I feel the guy has gone far too aggressive or irrational, I need to check if the guy just want me to get my fat ass off the seat.

19. flasche

its the impression you left with me. and yeah, i dont mean to say youd be "the bad guy", discussion culture in general often lacks around here.
    i can totally see how a dev position can be unnerving, especially since you get all the shit since you cant please everyone.

20. Paradox

You asked him privately then hexi didnt like that you asked him privately and copy pasted your pm into the thread.