1.06 Information

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, May 27, 2006.

1. mindragon

mindragon Member

Waiting for 1.06 ...

I would much rather wait for a full 1.06 or (perhaps more aptly named 1.1) instead of getting a 1.06 with only partial mods and partial fixes... Anyway, it's only been like a month already since the last release. I don't think it's realistic to expect releases every week just for the sake of downloading and whatever. Besides, it allows folks to get more accustomed to the current set of features and stuff.

Make it right, make it good and make it once. That's my motto.

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i think a 1.51 just to balance the rifle and a few quick/simple bug fixes would shut every one up until the "big update" was released.

3. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

No it wouldn't. Let's be serious, folks. :p

4. Petko

Petko Member

Thats your opinion. And there are some who just wants to play with the game and have fun. I respect the need for quality job, and i also agree that it needs time. But you cant just sweep balance issues under the carpet and say it will be done in 1-2 month.

There is a beta out, and technically its playable, doesnt crash anymore, and doesnt have any major bug that can discourage anyone playing. It has some minor gliches still which needs fixing. Some say it could have had nicer models nicer textures etc. when it was relased but im in peace with the current state. If you handle balance as a seconday issue, and dont care the players who would like to play or try now, you can easly loose them.

In my case i love the game. Technically it has every potential and possibility that i wish. I would like to play, and go in the servers sometime, but the gameplay is flat and boring, because of the frackin turret and artillery gameplay. There is no point in researching good tank enquipment as a comm, because only the team can win who can research mk3 turrets faster and builds them on every possible spot (and of course this lags the server for gods sake) and research faster the artillery and bang the enemy without any possibility resisting. This is not a good game.

Now that you say it may take more than 1-2 month i know all that will happen, i will stop looking at the forum every day and look for something else to play. Anyway i will be away on holiday until august, i may or may not look again for empires in the autumn/winter time. But i can feel if i get back and download the patch that time, it will contain nicer weapon models and the aircrafts working fine, no crash etc. BUT there will be some damn balance issue again like some bomber is so strong that it makes the game again not really playable in long terms, and the chat on the forum will be that there is currently a patch on its way with new bulidng models which will be finished in 2-3 month maybe in the beggining of 2007, so there is no point in relasing now a patch for the balance issues. And that will be the point sure when i will definetly abandon empires.

I think there are lots of people who feel like me, most of them because of the hand weapon balance. If you dont care about them they wont play as well as the people who try it out now, and if the game is continously developed but continuosly unplayable because of the balance is a secondary issue then this will go on forverer. (until maybe 2008 when it will be finished but there will be noone left to play).

I dont want to judge anyones work, i respect that he does something creative, all im just saying its a much better concept to grab all possible players, take care for their needs that they can play while the beta goes on, induce a large community which can push everything forward, and this way empires can get its deserved place among the well known successful mods.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  5. AlexCA117

AlexCA117 Member

paragraphs!

6. Humling

Humling Member

Let's have a party instead :mad:

7. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

My Opinion

Honestly, I don't care about weapons that look good and have iron sights and stuff. I could even care less about aircraft. There are serious balance issues that make elements of the game useless, or make a certain rifle better than another. Take the research tree issues, the scout "sniper" rifle, and many more things that make gameplay unbalanced, and therefore, less fun or worthwile. If you would only fix these problems now instead of putting them off till later so we could have "better looking weapons" and aircraft. (that would probly not add to the already fractured gameplay)

The game mecanics itself are very good, but gameplay always goes over and above prety graphics. I want fixes to be whats next, not anything else. The aircraft and weapons can wait.

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

it's only two weeks off their once a fortnight schedule =p

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I still don't feel any better. :(

10. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

Though i am not as demanding as aaaaaaaaaa50 i do agree with him. Game balance prioritys should come before graphical updates and new features. I too am not really fussed about new graphics or aircraft at the moment , im sure that they will both be great when implimented.What id really like to see in 1.06 is a rifle balance , arty balance and somthing done about turret farming , anything else is a bonus ;)

Overall tho devs good job , when we get it im sure 1.06 will be great.

11. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

At the moment I only play Battlefield2. The arty spam in empires got somehow boring. I won't return before 1.06 is released.

12. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

Amazing, Petko. You managed to write a 6-paragraph mini-essay, and yet, somehow, failed to spend enough time reading my single-sentence passage long enough to realize that it did not refute your argument.

Let me explain.
    Now it quite clear that Mr_Quackums is asking for a small balance update. No new content, no major gameplay changes, just some rebalancing. All well and good, and I certainly enjoyed the bimonthly update schedule for just that reason.

Now we come to my response.
    I humorously respond to Mr_Quackums assertion that a small update would "throw enough meat" to the community to keep it quiet and entertained. Obviously, a large update, such as airplanes, would require significant programming and modelling efforts, as well as considerable testing. This process would likely take several months, even in a professional environment.

This is where my point comes into play. Do you really think that a small 1.06 update would really address every single issue that 1.05 has, without introducing some of its own? Some small, overlooked feature will be freshly interpreted as "overpowered", and the griping will continue. Scouts, or turrets, or cooling rates, or something. Just as players are complaining about rifles and artillery right now.

-----

There are only two ways to address these concerns: One is to put all development efforts into the "next-gen" release. The other is to siphon some time into releasing minor changes, eventually (and asymptotically) approaching "perfect" and balanced gameplay on the existing platform (1.0x beta).

Now let's analyze your post.

Right off, you attempt to seperate yourself from me.
    Well duh, of course it's my opinion. I'm the one posting it. Unless someone else has logged in as me, it is pretty much a given that anything I have typed, I. have. typed.

"Just wanna play", "Am willing to wait for quality". Check and check. No controversy yet.
    Whoa, hold on a goddamn minute. When did I ever say it'd be "1-2 month[sic]"? Don't put words in my mouth.

-----

Let's move on.
    Again, no contradiction. For the most part, my scrappy little post does not clash with yours. Except for the parts where you make up things I didn't post. Truly, against an army of straw men, you are a God.

Well that's your opinion. (See how inane that phrase is?)

You raise specific issues, but ultimately your point is that a few numeric changes would be enough to significantly improve gameplay, for very little effort. Has there been any disagreement yet??

Again with the "1-2 month[sic]" thing. Are you attributing this to me, or to one of the developers, like Krenzo? You certainly haven't made any linguistic transition, to show that you're addressing anyone but me.

Gameplay over graphics. Don't forget the occassional gamer. Small updates for the win. Still no clashing of arguments - Indeed, one might go so far as to say they are ultimately complementary in regards to each other.

13. Petko

Petko Member

Sorry man, we misunderstood each other.
    Only the first line of my "big" post was addressed to you, because i thought you are somehow degradeing the people (they are not serious) who would like a smaller patch until the big patch comes out. The other part was to the devs.
    "In my case i love the game technically, it has every potential and possibility that i wish, i would"
    its just misplaced comma... i fixed the post..
    "In my case i love the game. Technically it has every potential and possibility that i wish. I would..."
    Language problems, thats all..:)

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

lol geogriffith should get some points or something for such a brilliantly executed post.

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Actually I disagree. When major changes are being made, I'd focus entirely on those alone. By my standards the game is perfectly playable as it is anyways. Artillery can easily be defeated when some grenadiers work together, and the unbalanced rifles don't seem to stop the nf from winning sometimes.

Sure, we can have a new patch with two changes, one to the brenodi rifle and one for nerving the artillery. But why make everyone download a new patch for a tweaked rifle when the next patch is all about changing the weapons. For that matter, why change something about the artillery, seeing they may even get useless as they are now once they get destroyed by aircraft missiles all the time, when that patch will be released.

If there was something really wrong (too much lag, too much crashes, ...) I'd say fix these first, but as it is now ... well I have a lot of fun with it, more than ever. No need to take time away from something else to make minor changes, especially since you know it will need (big) changes again after the major releases.

17. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

Currently i think the game is getting a bit stale. I enjoy playing still , though many games are much the same. Research lvl 3 turrets , spam half the map with turrets then sit back and rake in some cash until arty comes along. There are lots of great researchable features and upgrades which have had alot of time and effort spent on them however we rarely see half of them due to this style of playing.

If you look at the past months threads in the forums you will see there are alot of posts bringing up issues with turret spamming , grenade spamming , weapon balance and over powerd artilery.

I think alot of people are going to get bored of empires if these fixes take 1-2 months to finish. On top of that if the new features in 1.06 are not balanced properly there will be an even bigger problem.

Having said all this , we as a community , are still unaware of exactly what is going to be in 1.06 and as such we are still playing a beta.

I think what we need is a poll!

18. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Neuter turrets ftw!

19. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

To be honest. 1-2 months is a very good timeframe for updates, especially as big an update as 1.06 is going to be.

20. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

Yeah my only gripe right now is that i hardly get to experiment with the research tree, because right now there IS such a thing as "the best weapon".

Its been ages since i have had a plasma, uranium bio or rail gun.