2.13.4 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Thexa4, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No, a single shot of Bio MG can only deal 60 damage over the course of 3 seconds.
    To conceptualize it, 60 damage is roughly the damage of a single cannon.
    Also bio damage does not pile up, all subsequent shots reset the effect.

Oh and enemy tanks can always retreat as well, you are not the only one with a non-broken S key.

I am pretty sure that's insufficient to call bio MG OP.

Again, you can say Bio MG is great, you can even say it's probably the best MG.
    But if you wanna say other MGs are worthless and can't compete with bio MG in any way, I object.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

yes it looks like i replied to a post saying it was so that new people would know what it is.
    that post had a refutation of your reasoning and lazybum's did too. and then i got no reply after that. sorry for not remembering that reply from 1 month ago, its not like i couldnt conclude on my own it was changed for "new players" (psst; it actually makes it more confusing)
    the seismic grenade makes a flash like a flashbang. we know flashbang/concussion grenades dont hurt people. do we need to call it a flashbang visuo-resonator?
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resonator
    : something that resounds or resonates: such as
    a : a hollow metallic container for producing microwaves or a piezoelectric crystal put into oscillation by the oscillations of an outside source
    b : a device for increasing the resonance of a musical instrument

and can you post the script value changes?

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

For me, I kinda stopped caring about a lot of things these little things in empires development, from odd name changes to gui fiddling or whatever. The only thing I still think whenever I see these things is it's not about improving things, it's about changing things because it can be changed. Changing things for the sake of change shall always feel like a worthless endeavor. If it's functional and no one really complains about it, why are we messing with it?

complete_ likes this.
  4. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

So you think a hitscan weapon with 3 times the ROF should have the same damage as the cannon?

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Why not, du and hemg have the same damage output as ranged cannon I think. The only real advantage to bio mg is the ability to whittle down 2 sides of a tank instead of 1, which I don't really see being used anyway.

Ah, I think you're missing a point, which is the bio time is constantly resetting. If you calculated based on dps, which should only ever really be used by mgs, it technically does quite a bit less then du or hemg.

The main reason it seems super effective is just people are really shit at aiming, you miss with du or he or cannon or ml you miss a lot of damage, unlike bio which is always hitting. So for the vast of majority who can't keep their cursor on target on the tank bio mg is actually better because for 3 seconds you don't actually have to hit them at all for you to be doing damage. It's supposed "opness" isn't based on excessive damage, it's based on consistent damage thanks to using an easy to use mechanic.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  6. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Not sure if renaming it to resonator accomplishes that, but I appreciate the effort! Admittedly, to solve the problem would require you to remodel the seismic and probably make it visually obvious it damages buildings. As to what the hell that'd be I have no idea. I mean, there aren't really any existing items you can take advantage of that are both thrown and only for some reason damages buildings.

Kind of like how the the "Nuclear Missile" was renamed to "HIT Warhead" (WHICH STANDS FOR HIGH-IMPULSE THERMOBARIC WARHEAD) but is for some reason in Fission, under Physics!? Which only made things more confusing for newer players, and now that the 3-slot cannons in Chem are "thermobaric" we have this weird inconsistent naming for a weapon that everyone who plays still refers to as a "nuke."

Why not rename it to Low-Yield Nuclear Warhead, or Neutron Warhead, or Tactical Nuclear Warhead?

So, I think the question is both valid and necessary, and Destroyer gave a good answer.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

@PwnedYoAss nukes are nukes again. but its a good example of what renaming does: nothing ;)
    but well, at least it doesnt take long and keeps a dev occupied for hours or smthg.

8. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Ahah, no i actually did take that into account, just was too lazy to put it to text.
    Here was the dps actually is :
    60 / 3 + 1/0.42 * 8 = 39.04 in the best case.

.50 cal is 1/0.07 * 15 = 214.
    Wew
    Edit: stupid me, only for infantry.

here is Depleted: 1/0.1 * 5 = 50

here is canon: 1/1.4 * 50 = 35.

here is heavy duty long range: 1/1.5 * 67 = 44 (WWEWW almost depleted!)

Now i'm going to question the commander choices, because there is more OP in town.

It does have more downtime tho.

Maybe a figure factoring reload tiem vs time spent shooting would better

9. flasche

its also not how it works. you cant just compair DPS and say "well theyre equal", you also need to consider usage. 60 DPS aint 60DPS. 10x10dmg in 10 seconds vs 1x100dmg in 10 seconds. both completely different but same DPS.

there really should be weekly balance patches where you can alter values in small steps to reach a certain equilibrium.

10. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

If we're lowering standards to that level, can we rename everything to make no sense at all? I suggest we rename the "Scout Rifle" to "Sniper Rifle."

11. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

I added some figures, canon does have lower dps...

12. flasche

its referred to as sniper rifle by new player anyway, so yeah, it does not make any difference.

thats even worse. damage needs to scale with ease of usage. that means highest should be mls, then come canons and lastly mgs (tho ofc its not that simple if you consider guided and homing are super easy to use). also i think vehicle mgs should be secondaries, so lower damage in general.

ofc that needs to be different within the categories aswell. UML cannot have the same DPS as homing fe.
    DPS is a theoretical value that assumes every shot hits (which is more likely with homing so homing needs less damage)

numbers are overrated. sure you need them, but only the application shows how well they are.
    all the neat calculations break down when they hit reality.

btw has anyone noticed, 6x stdML has an insanely high DPS output? beats any dual dumbfire missile. its just hot and inaccurate.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That "refutation" was answered as well. I acknowledged the change would have minimal effect from the get-go. Nobody can reasonably expect this to fully convey how seismics are supposed to be used. It's a tiny step in the right direction some people are up getting up in arms about.

Flashbangs are also known as flash grenades. The two names mean the same thing, there is no need to change the name in any fashion.

The definition of a resonator you brought up is narrowed down to two of the possible meanings. I used this and its disambiguation page for a more general overview.

14. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I got more! We rename the artillery tank to "Tank Destroyer,"

The NF light tank to "Cannon Jeep"

The BE AFV and APC to MCW for "Moving Cannon Wall" and MMGW for "Moving Machine Gun Wall"

We rename the NF Heavy Tank to "Minesweeper Missile Tank"

We rename the Rifleman explosive grenade to "HEAT Grenade"

Stun stickies, to "EMP Sticky Grenade"

Xyaminou likes this.
  15. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

This is the ultimate antitank:
    upload_2017-4-27_21-15-3.png

EIGHTY DANG DEPEE EESEEZ

16. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I've got even more!

NF Medium Tank to "EMCW" Ersatz Moving Cannon Wall

NF Jeep to "Dune Bunny"

BE Jeep to "Miata"

NF Shotty pistol to "Snake Eyes"

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Suppose we are in a different timeline and Empires started with these names.

You probably wouldn't have a problem with these names.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Except they aren't ;)

Code:
    			"HIT Warhead"
    			{
    				"Name"			"HIT Warhead"		//name given to research item
    				"Parent"		"Nuclear Fission"				//name of parent that this branches from
    				"Description"		"(Technology: Vehicle Missile Launcher) Gain access to the High-Impulse Thermobaric warhead. This weapon delivers an intense pressure wave to its target, resulting in a more powerful explosion than possible via conventional means. It is highly effective against both mobile and stationary targets."	//description given when hovering over research item
    				"Icon"			"comm/hex_ml"			//icon drawn on research tree
    				"Unresearched Icon"	"comm/hex_ml_empty"		//icon drawn in the GUI
    				"Type"			"0"		//nothing
    				"Cost"			"0"		//cost of this research item
    				"Time"			"180"		//time to research this item in seconds
    				"Team"			""		//which team can research this
    				"XPos"			"105"
    				"YPos"			"72"
    			}
    They have been called nukes in both the vehicle customisation screen and the vehicle HUD for a long long time now, if not since forever.

And as I pointed out already, changing those names literally takes finding the lines in the scripts (finding this took me 3 minutes because I had to look through research_items.txt twice) and modifying the names. It's not "hours".

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Oh hey, how about we start renaming the research branches!

Physics -> Long, Strong, and Flat

Chemistry -> Cheap, Prone To Explosions

Biology -> Green Eggs And Ham

Electrical -> Deja Vu, I've Been In This Place Before

Mechanical -> Drive Me Closer

Then we start renaming according to those themes!

3 Phase Electric -> 4AGE Engine

Gas Turbine -> DRIVE ME EVEN CLOSER

HIT Warhead -> The Bigger, Blacker Missile

UML -> The Big, Black Missile

MartinPL likes this.
  20. flasche

@D.D.D. Destroyer then look at the weapon scripts:
    Code:
        "Nuclear Missile"
        {
            "Name"            "Nuclear Missile"        //name given when selecting weapons
            "HUD Name"        "Nuke"                //name displayed in the weapon area of the vehicle HUD
            "Description"        "Nukes are hot, slow & heavy, but powerful against buildings."        //description given when selecting weapons

[...]
    }

im quite sure it said HIT at some point. i only just recently noticed it says nuke again.

also YOU DONT DARE CHANGE THAT!!! :P