Default Armor Name Voting

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 13, 2014.

?

What should the default armor be named?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2014.
  1. Scrap

29.0%
  2. Basic

45.2%
  3. Light

9.7%
  4. Plain

48.4%
  5. Obsolete

22.6%
  6. Shitty

12.9%
  7. Cookie

19.4%
  8. Stock

35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think it might be useful to let everyone pick the best name for the default armor that requires no research. We can start with nominations and then through those nominations up to a poll.

This name needs to communicate its ineffectiveness in no uncertain terms. Anything that makes the armor seem "economic", "thrifty" or "budget-conscious" is too positive. Neutral names like "Basic", "Generic", or "Plain" aren't obviously bad enough.

I liked "Paper" mostly because that's the term that the community casually uses to describe the armor and it has a moderately obvious poor connotation.

DDD has an excellent thread (that I nearly hijacked) with plenty of quality names. To get us started, I like "Scrap", "Outdated", "Obsolete", "Shitty", & "Bad".

If you support someone's nomination, feel free to second it in case we need a tiebreaker for the vote.

Also useful would be descriptions & icons. Otherwise, we can use the current icon and I can make up some description.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I was rather fond of the cookie armor idea.

Still, obsolete works because it strongly indicates that researching armor, any armor, would be better.

Rusted is an idea too, but obsolete tells it simply and doesn't look silly. Or maybe it does look silly, who would send out soldiers with obsolete gear?

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

4. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I like paper armor, but if that sticks out to much from the story, you can just make it an infantry nickname.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

Well since we have the KX-570 sub machine gun, why not have a hilariously convoluted armor name?

paper armor is slang. it doesnt go into games. barracks' are not going to be changed to racks' for this reason. Maybe when you rediculously nerf some random armor the next version people will call that paper, because it goes right away

Scrap Armor is a great name. Stock is another good one.
    And I will say no one was ever confused by its name, and its strength in relation to others. People will choose it no matter what you change it to (because the ui is confusing)

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I can agree to "scrap" armor. Something that was hobbled together to give the vehicle at least light protection. "Light" armor also works.

You could also give descriptive names that infer the weakness like [ 1/2" aluminum plate ] <- plain.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Scrap armor!~

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Scrap or Light

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what was so bad about plain?

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't think anything really was, but it's not terribly reflective of how bad it is, or possibly someone wants to make it worse. It was plain before because every other armour was sold on its unique point, despite them offering significantly more shielding. Not sure if people knew that.

I think because there's not a trained playerbase around these guys think the name is to blame. For something.

If you're going to change it, scrap or basic might do. Though Scrap has more flavour, people are just going to call it crap. And then maybe rag on commanders to get them something that isn't crap. Instead of something that isn't 'paper'.

Well, if we ever get more people in anyway.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

make a game for monkey, get monkeys.

i think one can safely assume that a player will understand that any researched item is better then the basic one or he'll be challenged with empires as a whole.

speaking of basic, call it basic.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  12. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

budget armor -> scrap armor (cause it's combination of stuff)

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The description of Empires technology is basically like a menu option in a GUI and should follow the rules for naming them. So, slang/jargon is a no go. You want to communicate as clearly as possible to someone without any prior knowledge. The names must also fit into the theme of the game, i.e. a military/professional language is expected when you talk about the research of your team.

Basic, standard, starter, simple -armor, stuff like that. If you really need to be obvious I guess weak, light, flimsy, etc would also work.

In a better world with a new Empires GUI we could just add a rating from 1 to 5 stars to the armor icon.

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Im throwing a vote in for cookie armor, the icon is brown and I think the game could use some humor outside of the code.
    If no fun allowed then I vote for scrap.

15. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I have to agree with flasche and McGyver. I would stick to either plain or basic. I think it sums it up pretty nicely, plain/basic suggests there are no benefits to the armor and sticks to the militaristic naming style of the other armors.
    I think scrap sounds as if the armor was salvaged from old tanks or something, which would make logical sense but I also feel like it dumbs things down. You don't need to have a name that suggests how bad it is, we have a description box for a reason. Name that shit plain/basic and have the description tell you how shitty it is.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Frankly, I dont even know whats wrong with plain. Before playing empires i wasnt even aware what that word meant, but it vecame pretty damn obvious after maybe 2 rounds of classic. It wouldd really take a person who doesnt care or is stupid not to figure it out. Its even in the description.

If you absolutely have to change it though, basic is the way to go. Inserting bizzare terminology here will serve nothing but to sow confusion between vets and newbs as they will use diffrent terms. It will always be plain/vanilla. How many years has it been that the nukes were called thermobaric warheads on tricksters insistence? How many people have called them that? How many people said X-pistol? Stick to what works, its a real minor issue if an issue whatsoever, is my advice.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

how about FREEDOM Armor?

Okay I'll try to get more serious:

-> Ironclad Armor <- Just cause it's better then wood. Ironclad_warship

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

YMMW, but to me ironclad would signify its fucking strong.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I suppose this is the crux of the issue and half of my issue with it. Renaming it isn't necessarily going to get new players to understand it, but you can bet your ass I'm still going to call it plain armor and paper on occasion, and when I bitch at comms for only having plain armor, they're going to have no fuckin' idea what I mean.

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's funny, but that's why I changed it to paper. For me, the decision was plain or paper because those are the only two names that are used to describe this armor.

Of those two, paper is the best to describe how truly horrific this armor is.

Nevertheless, this is up to the forumgoers now. We'll see how goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.