Slower heavies make for a better game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

No, I was talking about that time I got to try out viroman's scripts. He was messing with weights and stuff at the time. I remember pushing light tanks around like they were nothing in the comm vehicle. They had that ridiculous tilt when you turned too, I really gotta say that was some of the most fun I had driving in empires, even if I did keep flipping over in meds.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Heavies flipped most often. :( Meds took more effort to flip.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The tilt was beautiful. It felt good.

4. ViroMan

Well I plan on setting the heavies up with a little bit of a lean but, not so much that it will even be close to flipping. Current tanks don't even lean and its silly looking. Now... the big question for everyone here is... what is the max standard engine speed we are looking for? Knowing this I can adjust the shocks/gearing to accommodate this.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Well, the average engine speed is 32, 31.75 if you throw out the two extreme values, and a median of 31.5. I'd figure for slow heavies, it'd be somewhere between 25 to 35 as the range of speeds.

Also, lean? Most tanks don't lean, no matter the speed or radius. They're just too damn heavy.

6. ImSpartacus

Jeeps can reliably lean HARD on corners if you reduce weight and use a hacky setting to keep them from flipping. To his credit, viroman found some pretty fucking cool settings.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

What's that have to do with heavies leaning?

8. ImSpartacus

My post may have made more sense if it started with "lean might not make a lot of sense on heavies, but"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That's an important detail bro

10. ImSpartacus

Idk, that snippet would've been more just repeating/rephrasing Candles' comment rather than actually responding with new info. Though I can certainly respect that if you don't reaffirm the part that you "agree" with, then you can be perceived as combative and that's never good.

Back on topic, it feels like people want 100% slow heavies and little to no transition. Thoughts?

11. Metruption

Metruption Member

don't let people build VF until they have a radar, double the cost of a VF and quadruple the health

this idea isn't perfect but it is in my opinion less shitty than what we have now

12. 101010

101010 Member

Slow but more powerful. The heavy tanks should be the "tank". I know vehicles use different engine scripts but can they use different armor scripts?
    It would be nice to have heavy tank armors have 2x the health of normal armors. Because more plates just looks retarded. They should also be able to carry more ammo then meds.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What was it Simon used to say? Heat is a ridiculous mechanic because a tank that doesn't move or shoot isn't fun. In the same vein, a slow ass heavy would be not so fun to drive, even though it would be more balanced.

So don't go overboard, and try to find some sort of compromise. Like, you know, if they had a kind of drive that would have more weight and momentum to it, meaning that it would take quite a while to get to speed, but it would still be the same max speed. In this way, you'd not make them slow to travel in, just slow and unwieldy to manoeuvre. You could also balance the engines around how long it takes to get to max speed, and the starting speed, rather than top speed?

14. ImSpartacus

Unique armor is possible, but that's not a direction that I want to go.

Extra ammo is not possible, but know that 3-slot weapons would be designed for slow heavies only, so they would be able to have ample ammo. The current 3-slot weapons are a joke.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  15. ViroMan

So I went and made the heavy slower here are the engine speeds.

Standard: 27km
    Gas: 35
    3Phase: 40
    Fission: 37
    Bio: 29
    Coolant: 29

Turning radius while driving has been increased to account for loss of speed. It means sharper turns. I still need to work out the gearing but, my current setup seems fairly well. Also... you can cheat and get an extra 10km/h if you shoot behind you with double barrels however it drops off in about 4 seconds. I don't remember if that was possible beforehand. I just remember using it for quick starts.

Changes?

16. ImSpartacus

Are those the current speeds? That's fast as fuck.

17. ViroMan

Those are NOT the settings in the scripts... those are the actual speeds in game. For example, 3Phase used to get up to 64 now its 40.

18. ImSpartacus

Really? Huh.

19. ViroMan

Due to the speed slow down... there is almost no sliding left at all. It can still skid if you force it to but, its like 10d turn or less.
    btw... stop hiding that your online. :P

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

no one who actually plays visits the forums, and it took me this long to actually post in this topic. dont do this

the topic title was slower, not slow. i dont think they should be slower but if you want to test making them a little slower go ahead, just dont be surprised when people hate it.
    making them slow will kill the game, no one will research heavies, mediums will run circles around them