So I'm making a PC...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Misery 2.1 Features

Explaining the individual features doesn't do it justice. It's a game that will beat your ass but you'll want to beat it back. I've never been able to finish it without being rudely interrupted in some way.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Is it though? Like, you know the specs of my PC, is your PC actually going to produce better performance? I know that realistically speaking, mine is approaching 3 years of age now, but things haven't really progressed that much in that time excepting the efficiency front, so I'm a little confused if that's the case. Not particularly bothered or anything, I just genuinely didn't think were still at the rate of processing power increases year on year that we were say 5-10 years ago.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You're still rocking 480s, right?

It's probably close at 1080p, but if you step up to 1440p or 4k, it's no longer close.

And that's just talking about average fps, if you look at actual frame times, multiGPU setups introduce more stuttering than a comparable single gpu set up.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

>not going with the 4670k instead and overclocking it
    >"hardware enthusiast"

5. ImSpartacus

Don't buy what you don't need.

I barely spent $350 and got a gpu that wrecks Trickster's expensive water cooled multi-gpu setup in high res gaming.

I bought enough cpu to feed the gpu. Why buy more?

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah but like I said, my multi-GPU setup is nearly 3 years old. I could spend however much that was worth at the time again now, and it'd wreck whatever you got for $350. The point I'm getting at is, are we progressing at a rate where $350 usd is enough to beat the 2xOCed GTX 480 from 3 years ago, in addition to an i5 2500k running at nearly 5Ghz.

Apart from Arma which performs poorly on everything, I don't really notice any issues at 1440p with anything I play, and I can play most stuff short of BF4 at max settings.

7. ImSpartacus

It really drop kicks the fuck out of those folks that cry about the need to future proof.

Hell, it's not so much a discussion of "need" as much add the sheer "possibility" of attempting to future proof.

8. Space_Oddity

I future proofed my PC then spent most of my time on FTL and Super Hexagon.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thats about right for most folks that dont predict they will get bored of/grow tired of developer bullshit/family ensues.

10. Fooshi

Everyone needs e-peen. There's a reason why I got an FX 8350 and overclocked it to 4.9. Muh gigahurtz.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

A 5Ghz Sandy Bridge CPU is still way faster than a 3.3Ghz Haswell CPU since the instructions per clock advantage of Haswell is about 22%.

12. Z100000M

wow, tell me all about that einstein-bose condesate you use to chill that motherfucker.

13. ImSpartacus

Remind me what this forum is about again. Is it rendering hours of HD video or is it about playing video games?

14. Space_Oddity

I'll pin to the end of my statement that I also use it to run old and badly optimized games.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It's a place for mentally ill people to comfort each other and have someone to talk to.

Single threaded CPU performance IS important for gaming, especially multiplayer games.

16. Z100000M

I wanted to crack a stalker shoddy coding joke, but for all its sofware side crappiness, the games worked okay for me, as far as performance goes. And that was on my old E8400 and gtx280. you're probably reffering to arma anyway.

17. Z100000M

Most important for dorf fort though. Fucking math phd's can't into multithreading.

18. Space_Oddity

Actually I was speaking specifically about Stalker with the Misery mod. Best single play gaming experience it may be but you'll die of old age before the loading times and hangs are over unless you have all the RAM and an SSD.

As for the Arma games, they're weird in that they run exactly as bad nomatter what system you're on. It runs exactly the same at 1080p on my PC (gaming rig with 2gb gpu) as it does in 720p on my laptop (shitty Windows 8 HP junk which is mostly melted and has an integrated gpu.)

I plan to get Arma 3 simply for Wasteland. I would have played it on Arma 2 but I couldn't stand how clunky it was.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Would not do. Tried ARMA3 for about 10 minutes over the free weekend. The phrase "god awful" doesn't do it justice.

Although I gotta agree that it runs equally terribly no matter what machine you have and no matter what graphics settings you use.

20. Fooshi

[​IMG]

Grouping up with friends on Wasteland is amazing.

Also, performance issues is 99% of the time related to custom missions. I assume you joined a random server (probably Wasteland or Altis Life) and judged the game out from that.

Wasteland = runs like shit, but is amazing.
    Altis Life = bunch of Garry's Mod migrants with the mentality of a 10 year old.