So I'm making a PC...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 27, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just made the deal. Like, in that chat log. :/

Yall niggas need tah lrn 2 save yo trade chatz.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Nigga TL;DR dis shit

3. ImSpartacus

It's not for you noobs. It's for mah records.

But if you tools care, I got Bioshock Infinite+Season Pass for my Gold code.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

TL;DR Sparti traded some dude the games he would have got from getting whatever shit he purchased that came with games.

Presumably posted here just so he could show off this part:
    Did you know you can save chat logs without posting them on a public forum? It started pretty recently with the revolutionary file extension '.txt'.

5. ImSpartacus

Local files are for noobs.

If I had some preexisting depository of chat logs on my Dropbox, then I'd leave it there. But I don't. So it'd be a one-off that would invariably get lost.

I was talking about bullshit as often as possible so he would get comfortable with me.

That wasn't the first time I had shown him my build (as mentioned in the chats).

Apparently it worked because he offered to trust me and "go first" in the risky trade.

P.S. I love how you assholes start caring about my Gold code AFTER I trade it. It would've been a lot easier if I could've pawned it off on one of you. :pathetic:

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Using the Empires forum as cloud storage is quite a witty idea.

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

But the NSA can dig up dirt on you that way. Better upload .txt file to Mega.

8. McGyver

Well posting something on the Empires forum gives you as much privacy as you get from Dropbox.

9. McGyver

Now this is a portable desktop PC:

[​IMG]

10. ImSpartacus

What kind of case is that?

Would that need an sfx psu?

Is that a 120mm cpu clc with a noctura fan in the rear exhaust? Looks like there's no ducking way to cool the CPU otherwise because the psu is (probably) in the way in the front of the chassis.

11. McGyver

12. ImSpartacus

I had a hunch that it was a shuttle case. They do a fuckload of cube cases and it's not surprising that they did a "stretched" cube to fit a full size GPU.

Also, why the fuck are you on ars technica? The net neutrality/digital privacy articles?

13. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Not trying to be a dick, for once, but what's the point of a portable desktop PC? Isn't that where heavyweight laptops come in?

14. ImSpartacus

Firstly, you sacrifice absolutely zero performance from a "full size" single-GPU, consumer-CPU machine.

Secondly, that 100%-desktop performance level absolutely destroys any laptop.

Thirdly, it's about a million times cheaper.

So really, it's a decision about versatility. Do you want a machine with the versatility to add a sound card or 4 sticks of RAM? Or do you want a machine with the versatility to quickly move around or fit in small spaces?

For me, 2014's performance levels are high enough that I wouldn't think of some gargantuan 8-core that needs 4 sticks of DDR4 and can natively support a bajillion Sata Express drives & PCIe 3.0 cards. So I might as well take the portability advantage.

15. Space_Oddity

I want a case I can actully fit my hands into. My desktop takes up the exact same floor/desk space as that mini case and has all the benefits of airflow, pci-e slots, multiple drive slots, etc. The weight difference is negligible unless you're running ten separate HDDs but my desktop only has a single SSD.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

16. McGyver

Absolutely fucking none!

But Sparti likes it.

17. ImSpartacus

Footprint isn't the only metric for space savings, but if you value footprint, there are cases for that. Off the top of my head, the FT 03 Mini is ridiculously small.

[​IMG]

But that case needs an SFX PSU, slim slot-loaded optical drive, 140mm CPU CLC & <10" blower GPU. Like all Silverstone cases, it's fucking hard core.

I see we're still mad that the forum's speediest PC is babby-sized...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

18. McGyver

Considering what stoneage machines are used in this community your PC might actually be the fastest around. Personally, i'm waiting for a CPU under 200€ that atleast doubles single-threaded performance of my seven year old PC before i build a new system.

19. Space_Oddity

My PC was built to run Misery 2.1. It's probably faster.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Please explain why people who played the shit outta stalker can still be looking foward for new versions of mods?
    Now ive not heard of misery since like its release, but all it was was starting gear + even more eye gouging graphic filters.
    I get going through a game with some new variations, i love the shit out of the fact that games on pc are moddable, but stalker mods only ever go two ways, they either remove some of the more bizzare game mechanics (lol this perfectly fine ak is worthless) or just add to the pile (remember the jumpy friends? We made them go around in packs cuz realizm an sucsh).
    Ive encountered maybe two mods that didnt do that shit. One for CS allowed you to command fools around between those damned checkpoints. Unsuprisingly, it worked as the system did in the vanilla game, namely it didnt. The other one added some new breed of zombies for CoP, which was actually somewhat fun as it didnt intrude much into the gameplay and provided an enemy that was fun to shoot at for a change.