6 vs 6 Tourny May 17th

Discussion in 'General' started by BigTeef, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

[​IMG]

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I feel like I'm the only one who legitimately enjoyed this. Ah well.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I also enjoyed rekking them and being victorians

edit: lel you guys got rekt

5. Candles

Wait, so you want to be 19th century British? Enjoy your child labor, overcrowding and plague.

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I dont mind since Ill be the rich part.

7. Candles

Naw, you'd be one of the poor ones.

8. ImSpartacus

We all knew this was going to be a little crazy, so, honestly, the only person that really pissed me off was Grant.

He seemed apathetic about filling our last two slots weeks before the event. I expected the "Captain" or "Leader" to be the one that made all of the decisions about team composition, so maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

Grant as also the latest of the pirates. Lazy was also late which was disappointing, but Grant basically missed the first match. I think a "Captain" or "Leader" is late when he gets there five minutes before hand and is unable to organize his team's pregame shit, so Grant was really unacceptable.

Giving credit where due: Teef managed to organize two solid servers that were properly configured, which is awesome. It's a damn shame that he got discouraged from these sorts of events by people like Grant.

:/

EDIT The above is really rude and I don't want to seem like I'm scapegoating anyone. Even if Grant had run a tight [pirate] ship, the tourney still would've been ruined by the shit posters. These kinds of events require every participant to get their shit together and the blame rarely ever lies on any single person.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The problem Here is that the offenders don't feel bad and will never be penalized in any way whatsoever. Come next event, the same shit is very likely to happen.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I don't like leading things.

11. ImSpartacus

I think there's a perception that gets created. Trust is gained or lost and that carries into future events.

If Teef ever decides to host another event, I may not have much faith in his ability to clearly organize information related to the event (unlike this fella), but I'll trust that he can actually have the servers in place when the time comes, which is arguably the most important (and hardest) responsibility of a host. I know I'll remember that.

If FN ever wants to captain a team, he'll probably get the opportunity. FN messaged me 45min before the tourney going, "oh fuck, I thought I had 2 hours." Despite being out of his element, he still produced all of his people and he did it on time. People remember that.

So while there's no overt penalties or rewards, there are definitely more subtle consequences.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh don't get me wrong there are some consequences for sure, but they won't have much impact at all. Everyone knows FN is a great leader. Teef organized the servers all right, but again, everyone knows that he's competent and holds to his word.

I'm too negative right now, I'll just come back after some sleep.

13. ImSpartacus

Nah, I think some of the "offenders" will have a permanent stigma.

Since it's Pick-On-Grant Day, I'll say that Grant will probably never get the chance to captain again. Also on that note, if I ever happen to be on a team with Lazy or Grant, I'll be spamming the fuck out of them days before the event to learn their schedule and make sure they aren't fucking late.

Also PROTIP: Make a quick steam chat room with your entire team so you can effortlessly coordinate even if you're passing in and out of servers. Those chat rooms are too fucking easy not to use them.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Pick on moojuice as well, he was plain not there. I was 12 minutes late and saw both matches.

15. ImSpartacus

Yeah, I heard moojuice made himself look like shit as well, but I wasn't on that server or on his team, so I won't comment. The point is that the community as a whole can organically keep track of who is and isn't a shitty leader. I may only have like 4 good/bad examples from the event, but others have different examples.

And just to be clear - organizers/leaders of any event are expected to be present far earlier than its start. This covers IRL shit and all sorts of stuff. As far as I'm concerned, you were at least an hour late. A mere participant like Lazy was more like "12 minutes" late.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Events = drama

But you really shouldn't hate Grant or Moo just for this.
    People just aren't too interested in this tournament.

They'd have been there if they thought :oMG I am so excited gotta participate.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

:(

I thought I was like 5 at most. I do try to make the effort to come in on time, I did when I was hosting those pugs, but sometimes real life happens.

Somewhat reminded of pugs in general, no one really shows up til the event pops up then the server fills up within 5 minutes.

Also grant if you didn't want to bother leading just say something. I'm not much for it either but I want to play so I would have taken the reins up. Or someone for that matter.(Please note, I agree with spart and captains should show up a bit earlier to get stuff set up. I would have found some way to get done work sooner if I had to show up at an earlier time.)

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well it sounds like information has already been warped 6 hours later. I launched empires at 2:12 PM EST, 12 minutes after the event start, I don't see how that translated to one hour. I casted pretty much most of the first match and the second. I was present on the demos themselves. I'm not the first empires player to be late to something, let alone 12 fucking minutes; there've been scrims where teams arrived like an hour late. If people are really going to get pissed about literally 10 + 2 minutes then I'm not sure, people are angry these days. I still could've had the match.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  19. ImSpartacus

I may have poorly worded my first sentence:

• If you're a mere participant like Lazy/Me, then your benchmark for "lateness" is the start of the event.
    • If you're any kind of leader/captain/organizer, then your benchmark for "lateness" is about an hour before the start of the event.

It's cool to be a participant that's not super interested. It's not cool to be a captain/leader/organizer that's not super interested.

See:

20. Metruption

Metruption Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.