Discussion point: Infantry Weapon Overhaul

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

But empires has more in common with halo in this regard. TF2, without all the later added bs, was all shotguns or explosions.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

[​IMG]

I'm not comparing, I'm contrasting.

Empires & Halo are nearly polar opposite FPSs and that's literally the crux of the argument. Halo supports fun ohk weapons because it's not Empires. Equivalently, Empires doesn't support fun ohk weapons because it's not Halo.

3. Z100000M

I cant really agree with you spartacus. Sniper headshots, direct mortars, rockets melee upg, shotty up close and faggy p2 any range hs all happily instagib. You could say that rocks and p2 are not exactly up there with the rest, but even then I can't agree with you, as we have nukes and running people over as well.
    Also, probably the worst offender, mines.
    There sure is no deficit of instakills in empires.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. ImSpartacus

That's kind of the problem.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Are we seriously comparing empires to halo when the game plays like a fucked up version of counter strike?

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

He just stated that he was contrasting, not comparing. The point is that we shouldn't do things that happen in a game like Halo specifically because Empires doesn't play like Halo.

7. Z100000M

Then I dont really get what you are saying here.

I understand that you think the plethora of ohk in empires is bad, which I agree with, but the way you say that... just ugh. How exactly is it contrasting when both games have alot of ohk weapons? You could mean that console shooters as halo embrace that, but just because we have alot of that as well, I cant say that empires is any diffrent in that regard.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I don' tthink we need to increase the time to kill much, if at all.

The maps are already gigantic and combat occurs at pretty huge ranges, remember 2.2? That was the patch where they first added falloff, and you'd be doing 10-15 damage to targets past 30m.

The result was infantry combat ground to a *complete* halt. Nobody made progress, you know that lategame trenchwar stalemate that happens when both teams are even and nobody has HE/Nuke/Arty yet? It happened every game from the start, and it was horrible, don't get me wrong the trench gameplay is fun, but EVERY round was like watching empires in slow motion, players could take so many bullets that taking down any individual enemy required either focus fire or perfect accuracy.

It was an extreme scenario, but I don't really think that gameplay was very fun and I don't think we should head in that direction, infantry combat in empires is *intense*, entire 5v5 squad fights can be decided in under 3 seconds, which is a great contrast to other parts of the game, like vehicle combat and base destruction taking a really long time.

And honestly, mortars are one of the most fun mechanics in empires, if we change weapons too much we'll have to nerf the mortar, and I don't think any one wants that, if anything the mortar is our best weapon so I feel we should be balancing our weapons to make it fair.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't really get it. For starters the fact that you spawn with the instagib weapons in Empires is actually better than Halo, since once you get those weapons in Halo you can be pretty unstoppable. Unlike in Empires where I can respawn as a rifleman if I'm getting pwned and be on equal footing.

Regardless. I think the feedback is now down to "instagib bad", "melee upgrade bad". In fact, the amount of meleeing I've seen in barracks has skyrocketed to like...20 or so when a team is on the back foot. I really want to ask if Melee upgrade is even a worthwhile thing. It'd be much more fun to get flasche or firewarrior to mock up some swords or something instead and just have a proper melee slot.

Or add it as a selectable for sidearm.

Going back on-topic, what do you really want as feedback Trickster? I mean depending on how many variables you take into account NF could never be balanced against BE. Even if the weapons are the same, super basic things like NF's colour scheme, or the model behaviours on weapons mean that combat plays out quite differently.

For instance, a bren troop can set up in the woods and gun down a few people quite a bit easier than a NF troop, simply because the NF troop usually gets a mortar in his face because red in dark/green shows up like a...well, a target diamond tbh, lol.

Similarly, people were saying the Bren SMG's feel more controlled and powerful than NF's, basically because the lack of model kickback.

What things do you really want to get feedback on?

10. ImSpartacus

Candles, I think I have some communication issues. :(

I admit the logic is based on pure correlation, so it's fuzzy to begin with, but I can't even properly explain it.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Were you saying you have to balance weapons with skill and gimmicky mechanics because you can't just upgrade or pick up a great weapon when you've earned enough points? Which means that skilled players can own with the default weapons and they're not wielding say a chaingun that you can go "dammit! I need one of those", they're just...owning you with a default rifle? And can do that at will, if need be.

:confused:

12. Z100000M

Correction, we had falloff back in 2.0-2.12 era, it was just capped at like maximum 15% damage reduction. Meaning with the old accuracy, a skilled riflemen could mow down people that were really far away easily.

Also, guys, please stop with the funky logic and grammar hijinks. Clear and simple statements. Arguining over semantics is kind of a time waster here.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Still say it would be good to change the behr and nfhr to be high recoil weapons. The bear and nfar can stay as low recoil weapons.

I don't understand this whole "be smg1 feels more powerful". For me I preferred the nf smg1 probably because of the recoil animation. I like that sound too. Feels more satisfying to use. They all shoot the same though, even in practice. So I don't see why it would change how well you do.

A bit late, but while melee upgrade was fun, I think you should revert that change back candles. I personally grab it every time I go gren, any other range I use the mortar, when I am close having an almost guaranteed kill is nice. That extra range makes it feel like easy mode.

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I couldn't help myself, I am so sorry...

Wipped up in about 10 minutes on a crappy work computer...

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I saw them, but I feel like you should make short spears instead of swords, those would give people the wrong idea of horizontal swipes being an option.

16. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Dont change the fucking speed in which people die, its perfect now.
    Everyone who has played close range tight nit squad rev stuff knows how fun end exciting it is to have a constant stream of grens and rifles try to kill your engi squad but persistently surviving, the pace is fast enough but not too fast.

DONT SCREW WITH ENGINEER FUN ASSHOLES

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's rather infuriating to shoot down five people just to have them revive back up whenever you need to reload.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's okay, that's 1v5 after all.

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Im sorry you expect to win 1v5 in a team game, maybe go play some solo rpg tower defense mmo fps

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

I don't think you understand, it's not the odds, it's the futility. If I killed 4 rifles or grens, the feeling of senselessness would not be there. It's the same argument that goes with your "BE SMGs feel better!" one.