Lets Play: X-Com

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Cloud

Cloud Member

Iknorite? :D

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

hmm lucky mission, not that much dead, R.I.P. Varbdog.

we need more recruits to kick some ass.

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Well, Empty you can kill chrysillad eggs inside zombies before they pop with incendiery weapons, plasma doesnt do that sadly, neither do lasers.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Oh well, i died for my planet

Put me back on the list and name a tank after me or something :cute:

5. Empty

Empty Member

Incendiaries aren't that powerful anyway, unless I abuse a certain bug, and on terror missions, you dont want to light up the civvies.

6. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

In snakemen terror missions you can *theoretically* farm points by using chrissalids to infect civvies and kill more chrissies, = you get more points and the nations of the world never sign pacts with the Aliens, so incendieres are kinda worth it. Since a hatched chrissie has a major weakness to fire.

7. Empty

Empty Member

I don't think they have a low resistance to fire, they just dont spawn off a burnt zombie.

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

This is news to me. I just shoot them alot.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

nations only sign pacts when you did not destroy a base for too long on the nations ground afaik

10. Korpi

Korpi Member

Yeah. You have to keep interceptors flying around to scout for bases because the radars can't see shit.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

europe is the best starting location. if you don't start with a base there, you're going to want one there sooner or later. one base in central europe covers about 8 countries.

wtf vulkanis? blaster bombs? yeah they are awesome but what kind of difficulty are you playing on where you can afford to have everyone use blaster bombs? I certainly have never found that many of them.

grenades are essential. imo grenade abuse is the only way to beat the game on harder difficulties. on terror missions i have everyone prime a grenade before they leave the dropship and throw them everywhere. I don't know how many times a grenade i randomly tossed into a building ended up killing a cryssalid that was going to blitz me the next turn. SUPER EFFECTIVE with a motion sensor since you can see the aliens and kill them without them seeing you.

I also like HWPs, not for their weaponry but for their ability to scout quickly and safely. most small arms fire will just bounce off the armor.

pickled_heretic
    rifleman (?)
    laser rifle/heavy plasma, inventory full of grenades (alien or human) and possibly a motion detector
    primary stats: strength and/or throwing skill

I would like to be in squad #2 (not with all of these yoohoos, a new squad)

Edit: alien bases are irrelevant. there's a specific type of ship that lands in a country called an infiltration ship that will cause a country to pact with the aliens 100% of the time. aliens may or may not have a base in that country already. however, once a country has pacted with the aliens, the aliens will build a base in that country with very high probability. aliens CANNOT infiltrate if they can't scout a country, so if you're shooting down all the small/very small UFOs or raiding them, countries will never form a pact with aliens.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  12. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I dont afford to get a whole squad with them, I just research fusion balls at the first chance I get they provide the best base defence and air weapon in the game.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Our eggheads have come up with some new information.
    Which is fortunate, we're heading into a combat zone with snakemen and "chryssalids" (as the scientists call em) so we need all the intel we can get.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Empty

Empty Member

We ran into a second snakeman terror mission, nothing super amazing happened, the mission went brilliantly in fact.
    [​IMG]

No injuries or deaths, we swept and cleared and kicked fuckin ass.
    Our new power armor never had a chance to lose it's polish (only Gigabacon and Foxy are outfitted with the new prototype, it's very expensive!)

And yeah, we got some grenade and flare practice in, kicked the fuck out of some chryssalids (about 5 of the bastards)
    [​IMG]
    and basically did very well. We tried to capture an alien or two, but we still have no stun rods (I swear I ordered them!)

We did stun a chryssalid, and I sent a recruit over to check the body (I thought it was dead) He got the surprise of his life when the asshole reared up and attacked, but luckily, gigabacons crack aim put it back on the ground before it got the poor recruit.

We also found out that chryssalids can take an alien grenade to the face
    [​IMG]

Jekotia's lasers proved more effective.
    [​IMG]

We dealt with some zombies, only one or two (one got reaction shot and I shat myself, but luckily the chryssalid didnt go anywhere)

And the mission was a resounding success, for a snakeman terror mission we did beautifully! Well done team!
    [​IMG]

The new men arrived at base number two, only two rookies were chosen for special duty, Mahtipakarat and Korpi currently run the SFS.

BHS currently has:

Jekotia - Squaddie
    Aeoneth - Squaddie
    Gigabacon - Squaddie
    Z1000000M - Rookie
    Vess - Squaddie
    Foxy - Sergeant
    Vulkanis - Sergeant
    Grantrithor - Rookie

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I can has splaser?

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i can has new recruit? :(

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I only use plasma cannons because making ammo for the fusion launchers is a big waste of elerium and you only have so much of it. the base defense doesn't require elerium but i don't mind fighting off base attacks with infantry (other than when they send fucking ethereals, then it's a pain in the ass)

edit: some in this thread mentioned saving civilians by not blowing up the city during a terror mission.

well, i'm not saying this is the *right* way to play, but when i do terror missions, I usually leave the city in a smoking wreck. my best few men are equipped with rocket launchers and accompanied by newbies to hold extra rockets and block shots for the veterans. Rocket launchers are the true sniper rifles of xcom and are capable of great destruction in the hands of a skilled user - the aimed shot for rocket launchers quickly goes above 100% (with even just mediocre skill), which means you can practically bullseye anything from across the map. They are also very cost efficient. after all, heavy rockets = $900, alien corpses sell for $20,000, you do the math :3 Also it's a fast way to train up a few key soldiers into "hero units" for later in the game. And ironically, many of the civilians end up living anyway.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  18. Empty

Empty Member

I tend to loadout the team with 1 HE autocannon 1 AP autocannon (I'm beginning to stop using AP, since it sucks balls) and 1 rocket launcher.

19. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

WOOT power armour. And doing something other than being shot.

I really want to get XCOM now, think I might get it on steam. Is it worth getting te complete pack, or should I just get Enemy Unknown / UFO defense?

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

protip: thepiratebay.org

the original makers (microprose) no longer exist as a company, so you're not hurting the gamemaker's revenue by "stealing" it.

what you're really paying for is steam's distribution of the game, and if you're not getting it from steam then no harm is done to any parties.

anyway, it's an awesome game, but before you play it you need to also install a program called xcomutil, which fixes SO many massive bugs and a few ui/convenience tweaks to boot (which are optional).