Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

its funny i say that, but it can be really amusing (with a diffrent tileset tho, i cant stand the ascii)

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/cloisteredgrave-blizzerd.rar

my safe, i started building for some ice chamber traps (water on ice turns into ice aswell, killing any invaders)

long post because i didnt have time before;

i tried to kick-start the metal crafting business but had no time because the magma channel was way too thin for the lava to flow quickly, they will onlystart to work when the lava is at 6/7th under the workshops but everything else is set up already (so once that works, just put some melting tasks)

i wanted to make some metal and golden barrels but as that was hard without working furnaces (lava) i didnt had enough time, most of the people in squads are working properly, anyone not in squads needs to be assigned a job

i swapped the mining duties to the mason and carver because when they get legendary in mining we will have 4 legendary miners (redundancy and able to build quick if needed) the food industry is massively crippled atm because we dont have enough barrels and bins, if you cant buy any wood soon please start building metal ones as i planned out in the job manager we have enough food income for now but once we get bigger fortresses we will need some extra to get a nice stock

i also minimanaged the farms and doubled its output, together with assigning some permanent farmers in a farmer squad and a dedicated brewer and cook (later, swap there jobs over when they get near legendary and add an extra cook and brewer, for redundancy reasons)

also i put together a clothing industry task force, once you get enough mats it should be easy to make efficiently clothings, just add the tasks to the workshops

the dwarven i added as wardwarfs with maces still need there equipment built, i suggest letting them spar with the maces and armor for some toughening up, then later on give them crossbows so they can use the crossbows as melee if needed

there was a barracks in construction, with a battlements and a small moat, the intent is to let dwarfs spar there and put a dog at the entrance of the trading post so they can shoot at any kobolt thiefs and invaders quickly while being safe, later a fortress could come in front of the entrance and possibly a drawbridge/maze system in the entrance?

when someone completes the water/ice trap i started constructing, please note that floodgates should come in front of the battlements as to not kill our marksdwarven ;) its supposed to go angainst trolls or very large quantities of enemies only :p like a last resort killswitch because it is possible (likely) that using it will wall in the fortress with ice, and you will have to dig out later

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

We can trade for bauxite, thankfully.

Also, there's no sand. There wasn't even any soil layers anywhere on our embark zone.

I took a look at that trap you're making, and I gotta say, it looks dangerous and unreliable, aka. Dwarvenly and Fun.

4. Z100000M

whos doing it now?

nvm, updated first post is updated

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

updated my post

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Are you done? or is this just showing your progress? Try to finish out a whole year, so everyone plays from spring to spring, one year's time.

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

My turn now? :V I'll get on it as soon as i get home and finish it up today.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

oh i thought a season... ok wait lemme get a year

isnt that how it normally goes? someone does a year at the start then each person does a season

9. Cloud

Cloud Member

No, each person does from spring till spring.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/cloisteredgrave-blizzerd.rar

new save, spring

most of the stuff i talked about before is done, a well is built (the reservoir is refilled by pulling the switch, there is a spill installed that makes sure the fortress cannot flood so technically you can leave it filling constantly, but the room does get wet sometimes and dwarven simetimes go stand on the ladders and are afraid then) together with other luxuries ether built or in progress

metalsmiths just started producing, was attacked by 2 goblin rading parties at once (they got inside and killed a mason, his blood must be avenged) wardogs took care of most of it but i lost a lot of dogs, so butchering should be on hold for a while untill more dogs are breeded also add some defences (i was widening the entrance to add a maze with a drawbridge, but never got to it) and craft some armor for the marksdwarven i assigned (crossbows, maces and axes are already under construction)

next person please reorganise anything not ether food, metal or cloth industry in the freshly created industry zone (the room complex with 4 or so masons and a leather crafting set-up), and ether reorganise the plans for the bedrooms or start filling the bedrooms once they are mined out

also make some cages and barrels for the food industry, and get that cloth industry going!!!
    was able to trade some food and alcohol against lots of wood and other commodities

goodluck!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  11. Cloud

Cloud Member

I picked a random peasant, and it turned out to be a female... great. Anyhow, i named her douche.

Starting resources:
    [​IMG]
    I'll attempt to get a steady flow of booze and plants, so that the following players can have an easier time with the food/booze, i also plan on having a few recruits train throughout the year, so that we'll have a few decent fighters when trouble arrives.

Also rock mechanisms and a buncha traps if possible.

Granite 3rd
    Shortly after i told out of the blue by the previous leader that i had to lead the fortress for a year, Uvash, our hamlet manager/broker and bookkeeper started to act weird, maybe she's not used to working under another woman? Or perhaps all the jobs she were assigned made her lose her mind, i just pray that she will be able to find what she needs and calms down, as i'd rather not take over all of her work.
    [​IMG]

Granite 17th
    A caravan arrived today, i pray they have booze and food. Mostly booze though.
    I've decided to sell them all of our narrow outfits, i've no idea why the clothesdwarves would make elven-sized clothing in the first place, blasted traitors, we could've worn those clothes to keep the cold out.
    Oh and ushval finished her creation, it's apparantly a stone mechanism of sorts, but i'm worried that the only use we will have for it is throwing at any dragon that might arrive, as the spikes will interfere with the machinery.

Bah! I should have known that only elves would arrive this early, they brought naught but cloth and a few plants, i took the plants and ordered them turned to booze, seems we'll have to fast for a while

Undated
    Despite the orders for making booze, no-one seems to be making it, i assign more brewers

Several Goblins raided today, they claimed a few lives due to a sluggish response from our military, i blame it on the lack of booze. But we managed to chase them off.

12. Cloud

Cloud Member

All the damned dwarves are partying around the well... twats.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id suggest making a stairway to the food production level, there is something with the ramps that make dwarves unable to walk on it sometimes

i dont know who designed that ramp staircase but meh

also sorry i didnt keep a log etc and told in story, i should do that next time

protip: narrow is what goblins wear, they are leftovers from a goblin rading party that is destroyed

14. Cloud

Cloud Member

Shhhhh
    I'm pretending hat our guys made em *delusional*.

Made some major trading, food should not be a problem for a while now.
    [​IMG]

Have also struck gold and pineapple opal.

I'll also be building two forges, as i purchased anvils aswell.

Trading for next year: They want cloth/powder/something else

Also recommend buildings beds, barrels and bins if you can get the stubborn twats to do so, we have 66 logs as of now, and ~3000 stones.
    I fear that i might leave the next with a low booze supply.

Varbles, your turn.
    I leave you with this:
    [​IMG]
    I'd recommend you get some booze going, for that you'll need barrels, which might be troublesome to make as they ignored the capenter shop outside the entire year (yes, i did allow em to wander outta the fortress).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8RP36KXS

secondary download site: http://www.mediafire.com/?im020dyyxgh

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i had the same problem, i suggest trashing the one outside, and placing it inside

16. Cloud

Cloud Member

I dare say that i managed to make a decent amount of plant food.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

turns updated. as cloud said, varbles is up.

a legendary mechanic will be VERY helpful in the future, even if the mechanism is only good for display in a well.

all the stuff outside should be moved inside by now anyway, shops, etc.

barrels and bins can be made out of metal. the only thing that must be produced from wood is beds, so wood should be saved for that.

blizzerd: crossbows use the hammer skill in melee, not the mace skill. I made the ramp staircase. ramps are faster than stairs because dwarves move in both Z and X axises at the same time/in the same movement. I've never heard of dwarves being unable to use ramps, maybe I can take a look at the save.

Cloud: don't designate the well as a meeting room if you want to avoid parties. if you still want inactive dwarves to gather around the well, you can designate a meeting area with "I" around the well. They will stand around, talking, making friends, and admiring the well, but they won't ever throw parties.

edit: took a look at the fortress. cloud, the new forges you set up are completely worthless. We have magma and we need to use it. those normal forges don't have a charcoal supply (they never will - we don't have any wood) and so they will never work. Also, no booze will ever be produced (no matter how many brewers you recruit) until we have an excess of barrels, and since plants are stored in barrels automatically and we have a massive surplus of plants, it could take potentially hundreds of barrels to get an excess of barrels. We've got a well, which means nobody's going to die of thirst, but this is a massive problem and needs to be rectified quickly. The reason why the ramps aren't working anymore is because someone dug out every square around them. ramps need walls next to them to work properly, and if they don't have walls nearby they will automatically disappear. you can easily just construct new ramps and walls behind them to get them working again though. Also, you guys can set up custom init files (like I have) to use whatever tilesets you want. You can expand the resolution, etc. as long as you revert to the normal init after you're done for the sake of politeness. If anyone needs help with any of this or has questions just ask me.

edit2: honestly I should probably just let people play however they want. It would make for more interesting storytelling when my turn comes up.

18. Z100000M

i hope others will be just as fast as you cloud

although building normal forges on a magma map.. hmm now we know who stole all the booze

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

OMFG NORMAL FORGES ON MAGMA WTTTTTTTTF

honestly y dun you just have them all commit mass suicide

20. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Log of 'Varbles' Stukoskôn
    3rd of Granite, 57

Goddamn, may Armok have mercy on the dwarf who chose this site for a fortress, because this place will be the death of each and every one of these dwarves. After three years since it's founding, I thought I would be arriving to command a safe, secure, and warm little fortress embedded in the mountain. The hell with that. And after hiking here through miles and miles of mountain and glacier, passing giant eagles and sasquatches left and right, is it too much to ask to have a barrel of dwarven ale waiting for me? I guess it is, and on top of that, the goddamn well is dry.

So after stumbling around the fortress for a while trying to find where anything is, I think I know what's going on here. In fact I'm sure of it. All the previous dwarven leaders must have had some grand fell mood, and felt compelled to make a fortress out of a dwarf's worst nightmare. Thats the only explanation for everything. I mean, Armok help me, it looks as if nobody even bothered to dump any of the excess stones that were dug out, but of course you wouldn't want to disturb those 30+ idlers just sitting around, no would you? And I sure feel sorry for the goblin macelords who will have to tussel with our army of unarmored wrestlers.

My first priority will have to be provisions and then we need some large scale defenses and fortifications and a decent fighting force. I've got my work cut out for me.

So I wonder, what exactly is considered exploiting, say I want to use a drawbridge to smash some refuse out of existence, would that be alright? It's a victimless crime, isn't it?