After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Trent

Trent Member

Uh..do you realize I had to leave, not just because the teams were stacked?

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

In the land where I work, IE, on products that someone will use - that's called a very very bad user experience. Very bad. So horribly bad, that I'd be willing to risk my career on being the person to rock the boat and hold the product back from shipping until it was fixed.

That is such a glaring and blatent problem, it is pretty much the number one reason I don't play empires mod anymore. That problem is why you chase away newbies. You're lucky if those newbies come to these forums to rant...most just go away. Simple solution? Make the CV a spawnpoint.

The team is still fucked, but you can AT LEAST fucking spawn and shoot a rocket or two (gee, the spawn ammo is also so fucked up, that you spawn with 2 RPG rounds. Something else that wrecks this game.) to feel that you are doing something remotely fun.

3. Trent

Trent Member

A thing I have recently noticed is that when a team is loosing, one of their members will team switch, then 9 mine the commander vehicle flipping it upside down.

Ghee what a fun game.
    So much fun, I finally deleted it from my Steam account.

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That sounds like greifing, which will get the offender banned from every populated server within a day or so of it happening.

5. Trent

Trent Member

yeah, like that happens.

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Griefing is yet ANOTHER example of how this game fails. In my mind, saying it fails, doesn't BEGIN to describe how big its problems are.

The game is for a select few elitists. I played the game for...2 years? I haven't played since March 08. I doubt I will ever play again, unless something drastic happens.

tbh, I cannot blame you for deleting the game. Hope that if the game DOES improve, you're here to give it a second try (it actually CAN be a lot of fun) or that you find some other game to try and enjoy.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I agree. But I'm sorry, but the excuse of "an admin should be there to fix it" is just a stupid excuse.

Do you want empires to grow, or do you want to have 100-200 elitist players who scoff at everyone else? Empires is currently the latter. The fact that you need admins to make the game even be BEARABLE says this.

Look at CS, or TF...or any successful MP game. I can buy a server, and admin it for 2-3 hours a day, and otherwise leave it unattended. All the problems have been ironed out to the point where the game just works. No one can easily ruin the game by blowing something up.

Point is: Make it so the game DOES NOT need CONSTANT supervision to simply function.

8. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Um yes it will, garunteeed. And if you deleted the game go away and stop being all whiny. Jesus. Stop harping on one bad experience, Also, this thread and the team stacking thread should be merged.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

So, you want me to just accept this game sucks? My complaining means that I have some shred of hope that the devs way consider addressing this problem.

Stop being another damn eliteist. See the game's shortcomings, and push for them to be fixed. Stop just accepting that the game is sup par and trying to find some way to excuse its shortcomings.

10. Trent

Trent Member

yes..you are just another example of why playing the game is not enjoyable.

It you bothered to pay any attention (seems like a lot of ADD victim play this game) I was pointing out EXAMPLES.

11. Theowningone

I do push for them to be fixed but if all he has done is complain and said he delted his game already am i going to fight for him to reinstall it? That seems silly. He's the one posting threads about how people wont get banned after he supposedly "deleted" his game (Which he most likely didnt if he is still posting here. Meaning he wants to be dramatic and i'm not giving him the liberty of that attention.)

Oh what a great attitude. I should fight to get him to play...

12. Trent

Trent Member

Oh I deleted it out of sanity reasons. Why keep staying angry over a bunch of asshole players?

It has a lot of potential, even more so than BF2, but when it is a game that makes you only angry there is no sense in keep playing it.
    I am still interested, but until a LOT is fixed, I am done.

13. Theowningone

Just wait for 2.2, more players will join, some old vets will come back, maybe we'll get the formula fixed for the ATB. And btw you for the most part comaplined about server (Not mods fault.) and things that can't be changed really such as comm voting. Also a lot of the stuff you posted about the servers is either widely accepted or stuff that you're just going to have to deal with. you say you got comm kicked, thats the community, always has and always will. It's the exact reason i dont release my plugins anymore. 50% non scrim games in empires are just people screwing around. Fact of life.

14. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I suppose these 150 bans just created themselves (if only it was that easy). Every populated server has admins in it about 85% when it has players in it. That is the ONLY way to maintain a state of order & relative sanity.

I am in 100% agreement with you android. It'd be great if the devs were on the same page with us.

I have begged the dev team to fix the exploits on the stock maps, so admins wouldn't have to spend so much time on that. The response I got was basically, "we don't care and aren't going to fix it" (devs, please correct me if I'm wrong). The devs here are working for free, so I don't expect them to do anything I ask, but I think that item is really important.

Re buying a server: I can't even find a GSP who will host an Empires server. They don't provide the BW or CPU power that's needed to run a lag free server. The only way to do it is rent a dedicated box and pay for tons of bandwidth, which ends up being some $250 - $300 /mo, which is way out of most people's budget.

Good idea. As the creater of both threads, I request that they be merged.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I said may have for that reason.

I guess we have to try other things that work in all those other games where you actually have to stay dead as a consequence of dying. Unfortunately, the fact that we have things like revive and rebuilding of barracks' complicate the options quite a bit. Usually, we'd just put a time limit on a "no spawn" situation, and give dead people the ability to spectate their own team in 1st/3rd person.

The spectate function could work, after all, it's more fun seeing more than just the ground, and locked dead-spectator shouldn't exploit too much. As long as you can come back to your corpse view to tell people where you are dead, it shouldn't be a problem.

The other way won't work too well, because as you know, you can survive for hours without a spawn and just reviving.

The CV spawn point won't work, as you know...because then it'll just become an APC, and another way to rush.

Btw, i'm just curious, how are you going to stop someone switching to the other team and griefing when they are losing? Some of you really aren't accepting that Empires is a more complicated game that needs a more complicated solution. Of course it needs fixing, and seriously, when one of you comes up with a foolproof way to fix it, i'll back you all the way.

16. ba'al

ba'al Member

Are CS and TF as complicated as Empires?
    NO!
    these games are just point and shoot,the worst kind of griefing there is Friendly Fire, which are easy to stop using plug ins. How are you gonna make plugins to stop ninemining, and walling in?

17. FN198

FN198 Member

ack...
    trent, rampantandroid, you realize that 2.2 will fix these problems, and that even though there are bugs and exploits far worse than being able to 9mine your own comm no one does them because they'll be banned. Do not whine about playing on an un-supervised server such as the billboard server, jestservers.com, which is not there to provide you with an empires 2.12 experience, but as an advertisement to buy servers from them. Playing at these places is only asking for a horrible game. These servers do not offer the community anything but grief with things like boosted res, short vote times and no control. Its a griefers paradise, but no one decides to join the more reputed servers such as empires4all or JPL servers. Most people cant join nachos because they were banned.

I've had some horrible games where someone even dares to use the comm exploit and recycles all my buildings and places armories (friendly armories) behind me so I cant move, but this doesnt hurt my attraction to empires. This is a community where admins and devs work together to make the game fun. This is a very unique game, and the people around it keep it fun. There will always be someway to fuck up your team. If its intentional, they'll be banned, if its not intentional, they'll be warned. Problems are solved easily wherever I go. You should try to appreciate the masterpiece that is this game.

18. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I still don't understand why greifing hasn't been programmed out of the game yet.

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Cause we don't have enough chinese gold farmers to do the job?
    The devs aint losers without life..

I don't think atleast? :rolleyes:

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No it won't. You people. Stop treating 2.2 as your fucking savior. It isn't. You can still jeep spam. You can still mine, you use a mortar to detonate the mines. We'll call that 8 mining.

Are CS and TF simpler? Dunno. I've seen some griefing in them. Blocking spawns and all. But guess what? Valve fixed those!

Some simple fixes?

Make the CV a spawnpoint - fixes the no spawn points problem where people just go spec.

Make people spawn will 100% ammo. Spawning with 2 rockets sucks.

Make mines ONLY be detonated by enemy fire, or by enemies walking/driving over them. NOT friendly fire.

Make mines force on explosion only affect the person who laid the mines, and enemies. Make it not affect any other friendly targets.

Make res personal. You get res both over time and by doing things. So every player has a resource bank...and to build a vehicle, they use THEIR res, not the comm's res, or other player's res. Thus killing jeep spamming. It also encourages more vehicles - if you allow players to all gain res at a decent rate, they can ALL get tanks...it won't be "We have res for one tank, omg, someone skilled get it"

Make jeeps be destroyed by hitting a tank (IE, tank crushes jeep.) Nothing more annoying thank some asshole pushing you around with a jeep.

Add vote kick and vote temp ban functions in (make it so they can be turned off, but have them default to on) thus allowing people still being problematic to be kicked if no admin is on. Allow server admins to set the duration of the temp ban. Perhaps allow it so after 3 temp bans, it becomes a permanent ban.

I know there are more, but I have some stuff I need to get done.

Make 2.3 a "polish the game" release...and advert that. Don't advert 2.2. As long as the game has a bad intial experience, newbies will try the game, hate it, and quit...never coming back. You're only going to chase people away.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008