After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

CV with spawnpoint encourages rush.

Requiring ammo is good. Stops people from going as rambo as they do.

Mines don't detonate from enemy fire, or friendly fire. And they don't hurt friendlies.

Personal res could lead to some large issues. Imagine that your team has been using their res, attacking the enemy, and they need one more tank to win. But, the last person is a noob who can't build one, or has wasted all their res earlier.

The player side of the experiance, is a server admin issue. Not a developers. If I went to a store, and bought a pie that wasn't cooked well, would you blame the producers, or the store? The store of course.

2. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

This means that you get a free APC with a ton of hitpoints, ready to drive into the enemy base at the beginning of the round.

3. No. 6

No. 6 Member

Exactly, what's wrong with that? :)

4. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

WELL valve is a company with a fully fledged team that ALL THEY DO IS FIXE ISSUES EMPIRES MOD IS A NON PROPHITGROUP OF PEOPLEWHO WORK ON TI WHEN THEY CNA ITS AMAZING NOW STOP YOUR BITCHING
    and 2.2 does fix most thingsyou bitch about

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I would be strongly against personal res.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

If you make a CV spawn point, any commander would be able to just drive to the enemy base and take it over.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The CV will not be able to move during the opening of the round in 2.2.

Requiring ammo means people sit at spawn going "AMMOZ PLEASE" Don't tell me people should rtfm...that's no fix. Its encouraging empires to continue to be an elitest mod...which it already IS.

Go try this: Lay mine, have teammate throw nade. Mine blows up. Dunno how many times I was nine mining a CV, when a friendly would throw a nade, blowing my mines up, killing me, and alerting the commander that he was about to die, meaning he would drive off.

OK, I'll flesh this one out more:

a game with 10 players on a team have 11 res pools: commander is a player, and thus has a pool himself. The othr 9 players have pools. And there is the general research/building pool. They all increase at the same rate - and killing structures will increase the player's pool (as will assists.) Squad points give more res...etc. Your example is moot.

The newb has his own pool - he isn't keeping you from building a tank. Because either way, he won't build a tank, whether he has his own pool, or whether you have a general pool. And think of the opposite: he can build tanks, but is still a newb, and builds a crappy tank that will only die after one hit, thus wasting res. By building that POS tank, he costs the team a ticket, but not the team res.

I'd blame the company that made it. I have no clue what you are talking about in this paragraph. I really don't.

OMFG HES INSULTING MY BELOVED MOD THAT I WANT TO MAKE MODELS FOR AND CANNOT TAKE CRITICISM AND OMG I CNAT SPEEL.

No fucking shit they do this and don't get paid. The game isn't amazing in my eyes - its good, and needs a lot of work - and the fact this thread exists tels me that I'm not alone. The fact that Emp's playerbase is so spartan again tells me this.

I think you need to shut up here - I'm taking gripes of the game and proposing a fix. More than you've done. If you think emp is perfect, then go get Steam to list it. See how many people dump the game after a month. The game is not perfect, and god forbid anyone recognize this and propose a fix.

See above...it can't move at start of round in 2.2.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

The grenade probably moved the comm which set off your mines. ;)

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Last I checked, mortar dmg caused mines to blow up. I've also read about "8 mining" on these forums, with that still being possible.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

8 mining is exactly what I described, the mortar moves the CV which blows up the mines.

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Ahh, OK. Well, then that is a different issue, and won't allow griefing, right? Only ninja crap.

12. Foxy

So. If you go to a restaurant, and get food poisoning from a poor chef, or bad conditions, you're going to go to the companies that make and distribute the meat that was used, and complain?

Thats just stupid.

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Best analogy ever.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

because it is not easy to discern griefing from poor gameplay.

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

...your analogy sucks.

First off, you need to be clear. To me, store means supermarket..and pie = premade pie from company XYZ, and the supermarket just sells it.

You however meant, if you go to a BAKERY and buy one of THEIR pies, who do you blame, the bakery, of the place that sold the flour.

The obvious answer there is the bakery, but your analogy was so poorly worded that your meaning was totally lost.

Even so, who said I'm blaming the servers, or that they can even take the blame? I blame the game for having design flaws. You should be able to just put empires on a server, start the server and have it work fine...which is not the case.

Imo, its time for the devs to do more than an engine change, and instead make more than superficial changes to game mechanics in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  16. Foxy

When I say store, I mean convienence STORE. See, it comes from the name.
    Much like how when I say 'bottle' I mean water bottle. Not, whine husk.

Besides. By your argument (Pre-agreement), its not my fault you can't read what I type, its my keyboard makers, or Microsoft's, or Google's (Using chrome). You decide.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Again. You make ZERO fucking sense. The player side IS the developers problem. If the server admin is an ass, then yes, it is the server's problem. If someone does not enjoy the game because of stacking, or because of griefing, that is 100% the game at fault, because it is a flaw of the game. Damn, you are thick headed.

18. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

RA, stop the flaming part of your rant and you will be right about with 90% of what you said. Not 100% though, you where wrong when you say friendlys blow up mines.

But yeah, this mod could be great but there is a lot of things that needed fixing and the devs don't fix a lot of those things. 2.2 will help but it will not solve enough. The devs need to do some work making this game less complicated and grief prone. Hey, basically what you said.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

And I realize it is hard to get the game to be ass-hat proof...because the asshats will always find a way - and what I pointed out regarding TF2 shows how other games can pull it off - they have paid devs who fix a major hole in a brief period of time. Perhaps the devs should consider doing faster smaller patches - if some exploit is found, determine if it is high priority and then address it immediatly if it is...

And can someone explain why this idea is stupid, or why we don't use it:

To take care of those people here who go below the map using some displacement (you know who you people are...I hope you get banned from all the major servers) why do we not have kill brushes to prevent this? Put a kill brush in every area beneath the map, causing anyone who DOES get below some displacement to die...?

Tbh, I think the dev team would do well to focus on features at this point: drive for a single feature at a time, then view how it affects gamplay, at the same time being able to improve the game more frequently...

And if that is followed, a simple popup saying "Hey, there's a new version out of empires" would be useful...it doesn't need to patch it for you (but that'd be cool!) but rather just point you to a download link, or similar.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

This is one of my most favorite things to do in mapping.