After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

seriously the emopires dev tema cant manageit along with their LIVES, just be happy tyhre mod is there and itll get fixed someday

wow actually that sentance turned out really badly, mebe some spaces couldve fixed that :P
    AND IM NOT TRYING TO MODEL FOR THIS FUCKING MOD, if you even think to go to the modelling forum youd know im in talks with falkon so that empires can finally get a animator, as it turns out im good at that,....................................................................unlike modelling

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

What??

3. Rawh

Rawh Member

Stop drinking and repost pls?

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Darwin disproved.

5. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

i disprove science woot woot, and i really gotta start reading what i wrote before pressing the button, and get a keyboard with a working spacebar

and to OP we play because no matter how many griefers there areits still usually entertaining, ill admit there are bugs and sploitz andwe arent a noob friendly community butsomeof us work to help the noobs, empires need some help but are doing fine, but getting on the steam modsl ist would be a big boost

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Easy in theory, harder in practice. Displacements come in odd shapes, but you can only make kill brushes in roughly geometric shapes like cubes, rectangles, etc. Here's a picture to help explain

[​IMG]

This picture is simplistic, but it gets the idea across. As you add more kill brush blocks under the displacement, you get better coverage. However, it becomes very time consuming for odd shaped displacements. What we would all like is an easy way to make a brush to fit exactly to the overlaying displacement. Unfortunately, such a tool does not exist.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Meh its pretty hard to get under displacements its not really that game breaking, most ways to do with 1 person are inconsistent or map specific. Most of the bad exploits that are super easy to do will be gone in 2.2.

8. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the brush doesn't need to be that high. Just make it high enough that a person touching the ground or top (or bottom) of a brush outside of the normal boundaries will be hurt.

If the dev needs some volunteer mappers to put hurting brushes under maps, I got no problem volunteering for that. or above maps (like crossroads). I work at a hardware store part time while going to school, and during the winter months, I have a lot of spare time to mess around with things like that.

10. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

[​IMG]

It's not hard in practice or theory. No need for large amounts of time.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

If you are going into the side of a cliff it doesn't work that way. ;P

12. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

True. Even so it isn't that hard to place some kill-boxes in it. 20-30 minutes of ctrl-dragging trigger_hurt isn't that long in mapper time.

WAIT WAIT. I made an other image. Top down this time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

[​IMG]

Put him behind displacements = best solution.

14. Jonat

Jonat Member

Because a "brand new empires" is comming out very shortly?

15. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Brand new? It's a port with some balancing. Not what i would call new.

16. Chik'n'stu

Chik'n'stu Member

Scardy's my hero xD

17. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

An issue that has always been the bane of empires existance, is that it is so easy to ruin the game and not have a good rebound. So that means that when one team gets the upper hand, they win 99 percent of the time, even if that is a little edge. Its not fun on the loosing team when there is no hope of winning because the enemy has all the refs, an attack force that it technologically superior, and more buildings.

So people leave the losing team, making it worse. Now the losing team has regular armor, half the man power and no money.

This also means its a lot easier for one person to ruin the whole game. The wrong guy becomes commander and even if you manage to kick him out and someone good takes over, the game is lost, no matter how good the team can become.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Or just have a huge kill brush and a gap between the lowest displacement and the base of the map. Anyone who sneaks out falls and dies.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Unless you ninja...which is being removed, to a degree. There's a reason I no longer play.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be fair though RA, a lot of ninja's occur without the rest of the team knowing, don't they? About 90% of the time, the rest of the team is playing what looks to be a good game, and then WHAM! it ends, with little or no explanation.

I do agree that the losing team needs a better way of fighting back though.