You want mortar changed?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Zealoth, Apr 19, 2009.

?

Mortar

1. Change it!

38.9%
  2. Do not touch it!

61.1%
  1. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

If it used and balanced like a grenade launcher then call it a grenade launcher, that way people will be able to correctly use it.

It does not matter what type of mod this is things have to be intuitive. If the key to using this weapon is not to use it like its real life namesake but to use it like a very different weapon then something is wrong. This creates a level of artificial difficulty that should not exist for people who want to use it.

2. Demented

Demented Member

Real life mortars == Empires artillery tank

PH34R

3. communism

communism poof

Ok
    For this day forth the mortar is now the cuntsheller 2000, it has been taken from the future and brought to us. Happy? Need me to write a hippy story to make you feel better about this nerf to the mortar?

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This is also my opinion. People just don't like instant kill weapons.

5. Cloud

Cloud Member

Who gives a shit if it takes a while to set up a mortar in real life?
    These guys have nanites and are biologically enhanced, they can calculate how to just blow your toe off with a mortar, or send your old granny flying in her wheelchair in 0.1 seconds flat :cute:.

6. zenarion

zenarion Member

Merge RPG and Mortar into one weapon.
    Aim straight and use normal firemode to fire a fast-moving shell that works as an un-guided missile
    Tilt up to fire in a high arc, using secondary firemode for "mortar" effect.
    Same world model is used for both now, so why not merge?
    Then give the gren access to SMGs.
    Suddenly a playable class for all times, not just OH SHIT TANKS IN OUR BASE times.
    Commence shitstorm.

7. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Name it hand-held tank cannon <3 :p

8. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Well I only said changed cus i want an even more awsome weapon xD :p

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The only issue I have with that is that I wanted to use the RPG secondary fire for another RPG mode, not to replace the mortar.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

that sounds good, but the problem with that is that you will, just as with artillery end up looking at the sky

and not at the combat

this makes aiming very very irritating...

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The mowtar isn't really instant kill. Its more a 1 hit kill. The great thing about empires is you can pick skills that make it not a 1 hit kill weapon.

I hate instant kill weapons too. Like the awp. But in empires you can respawn before the round ends and dodge the shell cause its so much slower.

12. zenarion

zenarion Member

Sure, but the mortar would then be a FORCED indirect fire weapon, not a fast close-combat grenade launcher.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If you force the gren to be immobile while he shoots he wont be able to kill mg turrets. You need to shoot and pop out of cover to see if your hitting your spots. If you stay out in the open and shoot you will obviously get killed before you get a single round off.

If they could make a scope or somthing for the mowtar so they can see outside of the cover while safe(like a parascope i guess) then that could work with a setup time. That might be OP though cause he would always be safe(same with arty feedback) with a wall/cam and engineer. Currently they have to take some damage to see where the shell lands.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

walk away from the turret untill it doesnt hit you

deploy

fire

... silly person

15. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

teamplay anyone? Do you know this little hax called spotting? Making mortar a mortar would also make scout really usefull (spotting)

IMO mortar should be deployable (REAL range boost needed), aimed in general direction on artillery map, little corrections using mouse and fire!

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ok if you want a stationary mortar you
    would have to remove alot stuff like seismic
    nades to make it usefull.
    Nobody would use that complicated and hard
    to use way to take turrets/buildings down.
    People always choose the easiest solution to do something.

17. Sirex

Sirex Member

Yes this is waht it should be!

Yes and what is the problem? I don't have a problem with that and i doubt most people have, seismic is imba and lame anyways, the calculator with repair upgrade is more then enough to counter buildings and noy nearly as lame as seismic.

18. communism

communism poof

Since grens would then require a scout to work.
    I suggest riflemens health constantly deteriorating so they would be forced to travel with engies. Teamplay amirite?

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Mayama: yes, exactly. Seismic has to go.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If you think a mini arty is a good idea then fine lets add that and then have this discussion again later when people bitch about it. I see the low sky boxes in certain maps fucking it up too.

Sure spotting works great I use it all the time and its binded to the little wheel button on my mouse but if you shoot a turret with out killing the engineer repairing it he will just get more points and you will just waste ammo. Even if you kill it he will just place another one and get even more points compared to the 1 point you get.

And blizzard level 3 turrets can shoot pretty far. If your out in the open to shoot a turret your out in the open for scouts and rifleman too. I can't believe I have to explain that.