XP system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Nov 13, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and like i said each second of this time would be better invested elsewhere. the artist time and the coders time, both.

2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

To where though? Nothing else will keep players.

The problem with this game is there is no reward path to keep people playing.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The problem with this game is more likely a plurality.

If I had to pick one thing as 'the problem' it is that our community is a group of 'have's and 'have-not's, such that you are either a complete noob or somebody who has devoted over 1000 hours of their life to this. No new community can foster under these conditions. It's like pitting world champion smash bros players against people who are just trying the game out for the first time after hearing some good things about it.

4. flasche

well if textures could be done there are hundreds of empires specific textures which would desperately need a doover.
    and for coders theres a whole section of this forums filled with smaller and bigger suggestions to change and better gameplay.

i seriously doubt that the lack of an out of game progresssion system is what keeps people from playing a game that looks and feels ancient.
    i understand you want to sell your idea and maybe you even think its the biggest shit since sliced bread (which btw is a disgusting abomination, a crime against humanity).
    i still doubt it tho.

i also question that players who play empires because of uniform trims are what the game needs. aquiring uniform trims (or whatever gimmick you can come up with) is no team effort. empires is a game with a huge emphasis on teamplay (which also is part of the problem(s) it has)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  5. Ranger

Ranger Member

As king of Asgard I demand a huge metal hat to indicate my status.

I'll tell you what empires needs imo: *coughtankcombatslashfeaturescough* im saying combat is basic. the arcade side of vehicle customization can be greatly enhanced with new mechanics and exciting weapons. Playtime indicates status most of the time. Like pilots have flight time counter. counting wins is pointless. like, gg u joined the stacked team. or gg you joined the noob team for the tenth time today. I only read a few of your posts, I don't think we require ranking like in most shooter games, mostly because you success depends on 20+ people which is just too many variables for a trustworthy ranking system. We can have match statistics, like how many tanks has my noob team lost, or this specific noob ? what? security has lost 0 tanks again? lock vf. But that should have no affect. I would put those statistics in, jusst because it's exciting to look at numbers sometimes and it could give space for steam achievements. gj u killed ur tenth heavy.

all these things, ranks, publicity etc are pointless if the game isnt upgraded. empires can offer much more than this.

edit when i saw the thread i thought it was about windows XP lel

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Yes, and based on your "score" which would hopefully inspire team play would actively promote teamwork.

Game progression really does keep people. It's a loop you get stuck in, like in MMO's, Battlefield, CoD, and many others where you do a task, you get rewarded, you want to do the next task because of the reward. It's a loop that continues until you reach the end game where theres no more quests and you get tired of the game, or you reach the max rank. However, a constantly scaling system would be the best way to go about this so it gets harder and harder and ALMOST unachievable. Perhaps, have the top 5 players get a certain garb of gear and then if they get dethroned they lose that garb so its a continuous progression to stay at the top.

7. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

@Donald Trump @flasche

Is there a greater problem at the heart of this?

I believe that it is the fact that empires was designed in a different era for the games industry. Empires has more in common with old arena games than any modern game you can think of. Think StarWars Battlefront 2, CounterStrike 1.6, The original TF2 (before all these updates), Unreal Tournament.
    Years ago, back in 2006... The multiplayer games were all arena based, it was round after round of gameplay... People played for love of the game and mastery of the mechanics. Back when "couch co-op" was a big thing.

For those of you who have played age of empires? Think of this...
    AOE2(1999) -> Arena based, no persistence between games, pick a faction, battle it out, rinse and repeat.
    AOE3(2005) -> Arena based, Home City's added, a whole new levelling system where you unlock new cards to play the more time you play with 1 faction. This HUGELY changs the game style; it gives people a goal besides just playing for fun. Now they're playing for a reason!

EmpiresMod? Well... That began in 2003... As a battlefield mod(there are still pics of this somewhere). Only got moved to source in 2006? But empires was concieved in that transition period between arena based to progress based gaming...

Fast forward 10 years... >>
    Games have progressed with the hardware, and players' expectations have aswell.

Now players expect far more feedback than they were given previously. They want to feel like they are accomplishing something.
    TF2? Once was an arena shooter, back in the orange box... Now look at it, crates, keys, microtransactions; new weapons, only unlocked by playing more or through purchase, persistent inventory; Competitive Matchmaking...
    All modern FPS games have some form of persistence between rounds, some goal between rounds that gives players a purpose.

Empires hasn't gone through this conversion. That is the problem.

So any new player (this millenium generation) expects something different than what empires provides; to them, empires seems vintage and old. Perhaps not because of the graphics(although that has progressed too), but because of the essence of the game.

Therefore, we have got 2 options.
    1) Change empires to facilitate this new generation, incorporate these new progression based features. Make empires look forward into the future, instead of drifting further into the past.
    2) Accept the fact that classic empires will be just that...A Classic... A game with old gameplay, played by those who remember it fondly; Or played by the younger generation only to appreciate what has been, and therefore look as to what is yet to come.

8. flasche

not perhaps, exactly because of that.

all this out of game progression added nothing, exactly nothing to games. AoE 3 was shit. this arbitrary bullshit leveling up systems in all modern games are just shit. they make people play shit because they need to do this or that to a point where it even becomes bad for teamplay.
    theres a pistol medal in battlefied. people run around with pistols being effin worthless cunts archieving nothing except for dragging their team down because they waste tickets.
    the only reason there is no such big impact is because those games aint dead yet and there are plenty of servers you can switch to.

9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

And, Oddly enough, while I do support Empires in it's current form I don't think we have to sacrifice anything to facilitate big changes. The gameplay, though despite lacking some major variation in combat (Can I say counters again?), is solid. It plays like CSGo in the fact that some guns can zoom some cant, it also has a semi-futuristic style to it like Halo that people can recognize, but what it lacks is some modern features.

Look, I get it, people want to "fix" it, but without "new" exciting features, fixing a game that has a dwindling player base doesn't do anything other than waste your time. Fixing this game up so the code is great is pointless at this point, new features HAVE to be added. Features haven't been added to this game in, well, quite a long time. There needs to be something to retain people, and hence an overall progression system would do just that.

We have to modernize this game, look to the future. The Tutorial also needs to be revamped, and I would say upon first launch of the game it should just throw you in with a step by step on how to customize a vehicle and do all the small shit that is necessary for the overall progress of the game. This stuff, while it might seem like a "long time" of development, is the key to the success of Empires. We NEED that feedback loop, we NEED that reward system, we NEED some way to retain people or this game will continually gain newbies, but lose players overall as the vets and old players continually sign off for their last time one by one.

I know we all joke about how this game is "unkillable" and it has come back from worse, but the writing is on the wall. The game either adapts or it dies. This isn't an immediate death, this is a slow bleed. We are slowly dying internally as our community turns on each other and drives out people who they don't like. It is slowly dying by lack of communication from development, (And I don't mean that as in I hate the devs), it just seems that unless you are in the loop with them you learn nothing or learn what direction the game is going in. We have a chance to patch up the slow bleed, but the priorities of development and the priorities of the community must be shifted in the opposite direction of the way things are going.

We have a, mainly, cosmetic update coming out along with people joining up to help work on these cosmetics. New Sounds, new UI, maybe new Textures from Senor, and this will help with the "dated" appearance of the game. However, we desperately need the core mechanics to have new shit added otherwise we face stagnation and death. We must adapt, we must follow a progression based system in an attempt to prevent our beloved game from dying.

Also, I have to say, I don't think the "graphics" are as big of an issue as people make it out to be. It really isn't. People still play Warcraft 3, people still play many many old games and lately lots of new games coming out that aren't AAA titles have the appearance of "dated" graphics. Blaming it on graphics is simply scapegoating and us not recognizing the real issue at hand, that nothing new is being done and the overall mod is stagnating, which is the saddest part. Please devs, add something new to retain new players.

10. VulcanStorm

@Donald Trump

Then what can we do?

If i may make an anecdote:
    They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. That is false; of course you can. But how long will that last before the dog must retire?
    Instead, why not get a younger dog also, and instead teach it newer, better tricks?
    You should not discard the old dog; you should love it just as much as you always have, and when it has reached the end you should remember it fondly and all the good times you shared.
    Life must go on... Just you and the younger dog, teaching even greater tricks than you could before with less effort.

This i feel is what is happening to empires. And it needs a rebirth, not more adaptive maintenance.

11. flasche

in relation about as many as empires. how many still play sc1 since sc2 was released?
    its hard to even look at old starcraft while it will always have a place in my heart.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

WC3 tapped into a much bigger market than Empires and still has thousands playing it. Granted, it has been dropping, but people are still producing insane amounts of content for it. There are many old games, like the original halo, that still have tons of players. Hell, some guy made Diablo 3 on WC3 that looks about as good as the actual Diablo 3 game. It's insane.

Empires doesn't need a rebirth, as I said the graphics are relatively fine and lots of games nowadays have graphics on par with Empires.

First off, I'd recommend a reward system. This keeps new players.
    Second, Revamp the tutorial to ACTUALLY TEACH people to build tanks rather than saying "Ok learn this confusing concept by yourself", walk them through it step by step with arrows pointing to how to build while they do it.
    Thirdly, add some new shit. This is why I was looking forward to the TD, it was new. New is exciting. New gets people happy. Granted, a TD wouldn't be as good of an addition as a reward system, but still it is an addition that would bring some fresh life.
    Fourth, just communicate. I really enjoyed when Tama had a post about everyone's progress, it made us feel informed. I haven't seen one in a while and while I KNOW THEY DO NOT owe us one, it is nice to know of communication. Right now, people don't want to contribute because they feel they can't do anything/it wouldn't be appreciated. We need to change that atmosphere, along with changing how we participate. If you have a skill that Empires could profit from, please, by all means, contact SOMEONE and help out.

These four things are probably the most essential things I could imagine. I know they are working on bots but, again, that just is good for playing with few players and it doesn't really promote keeping people playing. A system to keep people playing, that rewards them similar to the image below.[​IMG]
    Empires lacks this. We have "Kill Monsters" and "win". Those don't loop back around or promote people to continually play. They have to be rewarded if Empires wants to compete. Imagine newbies seeing a customization screen. This is how CoD works as well, you rank up and get a shit ton of new attachments, skins etc that all look cool. They are rewarding you and you keep going because you WANT to unlock it and have it. It's tapping into someone's greedy psyche and making them want something through their hard work of playing.

13. flasche

thats what "in relation" means.

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I mean, the statement still stands. Even WC3 had this system in place for competitive play and still has people playing competitive, along with a lot of maps that have some sort of reward. A lot of WC3 maps now reward you based upon how much time you have played on the map.

15. flasche

wc3 had an out of game progression system? thats news to me ...

16. VulcanStorm

@Donald Trump
    I was referring to the game engine and concept. There are limitations to the engine, and source is behind others in terms of usable technology. It is common knowledge that empires pushes source to its limits... And you wouldn't believe how fast it is to create a new UI in Unity, or a new level... Source is unnecessarily complex and time consuming in comparison.

Most of these new features need to be integrated heavily into the codebase, unless we can base them around the existing systems; and as much as i agree with "never rewrite your software"... Sometimes it just needs to be redesigned taking into account these new features.

17. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

And this is another problem. I talked with the coders, they said it would take 2 years to port to a different engine. Unless more people stepped up and helped out, that would be the immediate death of Empires. People have already tried porting it, every time they fail. We won't survive that so we need to update what we can.

The more players we can keep, the more skill that Empires retains, the more help the game will get. At this point, we need to focus on recruitment and keeping players more than anything else because the players that do stay the more skill that is brought in and therefore could, in the end, improve the game more.

18. VulcanStorm

I didn't mean a port... I meant a redesign, completely overhaul all the systems. Re-assess the sitation after the tank destroyer...

19. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Re-assess in what ways? The core gameplay is what makes this game unique. We would have to keep core gameplay as it is, but perhaps reworking the squad menu. The squad menu in Empires is confusing, a nice little menu on the left hand side like in modern games might be best. Would not obstruct the view, would be easier to navigate etc etc. But of course, that is a polish thing, right now we have to focus on recruitment.

Also I edited my last post cause I forgot to get that point across.

20. VulcanStorm

I meant, see where we are after the tank destroyers; stop thinking about redesign until I've finished them.